SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday night at Amsoil

Kevin G

3 hours ago, Kab said:

For those fans that travel

which rink has the best fans and atmosphere and which rink has the worst fans and atmosphere

conference rinks only , food counts too 

Miami is my favorite road trip in the NCHC. I haven’t made it back in a while but it was my first NCHC road trip and nothing else has been able to live up to it. Granted, I went when Miami was challenging for league titles so the atmosphere might have fallen off since then. 

Unpopular opinion but I don’t see so much of the appeal of Western Michigan. Everyone raves about their student section but I couldn’t even understand anything they were yelling about. I also got sick there so that may taint my opinion lol. 

Omaha fans are annoying. One year I had a cowbell lady behind me and the other were a bunch of fake fans wearing Huskers shirts. 

Denver fans are stuck up snobs. 

Duluth has a fireplace on the concourse lol. 

SCSU is appealing just because it’s a quick trip. If it wasn’t not sure I’d go back. Just wasn’t anything to write home about. 

40 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

St. Clown fans are the worst. Their rink with their participation banners is a joke.

A very good buddy of mine who’s a big CC and Northeastern fan and just an all around big time college hockey fan went to a CC/St. Cloud series. Suffice it to say, his experience was so bad, they didn’t even bother going to the Saturday night game. They ate their tickets and drove down I-94 and attended the Gophers/Harvard game instead. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Kab said:

For those fans that travel

which rink has the best fans and atmosphere and which rink has the worst fans and atmosphere

conference rinks only , food counts too 

I love Duluth, but especially in the fall.  It seems like forever since we faced them in Duluth in the fall, it seems like it is always in the second half when the weather can be iffy.  I think the league should rotate when you play teams if possible, even if you can only do it every 4 years.  I realize schedules can become issues with events like Omaha has early in the year, but would love to go up the North Shore of Duluth before Thanksgiving.  Of course Duluth probably likes to keep our fans out of the arena, so I’m sure the blizzard season is fine with them.

3 hours ago, burd said:

Do Mankato fans still do the Ole Ole soccer cheer?  I think it was them.  

Bullfighting cheer actually

Yeah, they do.   If the purpose of a goal song is to celebrate AND annoy the opponent, it’s hard to think of one better. 

also, I thing their version comes from a soccer Aka futbol. (Which come to think of it probably comes from bullfighting.)

OT Mankato with the downtown arena and loads of places to hit before and after is a good experience.   Best to go if it’s a rivalry game, though.  (Oh, and if  the Mavs score a natural short handed hat trick while you are there, you’ll be hearing Ole ole in your sleep for days)

2 hours ago, bcblues said:

I kinda like the dive bars in St Cloud. :devil:

I used to make the St. Cloud trip every year. Have met some great St. Cloud hockey fans. Some great places to stand and watch game at the Arena as I hate sitting.

Howie's pregame, bus to the game, bus back to Howie's. Maybe catch a meat raffle or with luck you have a great band playing at the Carpet.

Grab some Gary's Pizza on Saturday afternoon. Green Mill and the Lobby at Kelly Inn was always fun and some fun dive bars like MC Dugout and the Press Bar before it was burned down.

Maybe catch a cab and check out Sugar Daddy's.

Used to make the trip down to Mettlers...ummm, Mankato every year.  Sometimes there was even a hockey game in town.  :wink:

Started going in early 2000s, our group would make a whole day of it.  A little dinner, a few beers, some optional entertainment near the arena and Sioux hockey!  Watched Parise and Bochenski really light the Mavs up one year.  I think UND scored 10 goals.  The arena was probably 60-40 Mankato to Sioux fans because they were not very good. 

They had a couple decent teams in that era and one year they managed to hook and hold their way to a sweep or a win and a tie and boy were the rubes out in full force. We had a dad and his grade-school son in our group get challenged to a fight in the men's room between periods as they waited their turn to "go"; that was nice.  We also had the Superfan in front of us who screamed "five" for every penalty called on UND.:huh:

After leaving the WCHA those trips were done with until UND played a non-conference game there in October 2019.  Went to the Saturday game and was convinced I had seen the two best college hockey teams in the country that year.  There wasn't an inch of open ice out there.  The atmosphere was great, even with the stupid Ole cheer.