SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

17 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

This.  With a good O-line, UND would have done much better in the Red Zone.  Tommy was able to get them there.   Given that UND had 7 turnovers and 3 missed field goals in the red zone, it's surprising that UND scored as much as they did.

image.png.07c34ee7f175351d8f72d415307cab82.png
Field goals stats are conf games only:

image.png.dd177056fa5601b64231634e90c70964.png

Those Red Zone stats are atrocious. I specifically remember one time we had the ball First and Goal at the 5. We ran twice and picked up a yard and a half. 3rd down seemed like a passing situation but Danny ran it to maybe catch them off hard and we got stuffed again. I do remember we had a lot of turnovers last year in red zone too. That is why some of us are optimistic about improvement this year as just need to improve on some of that. Still have to do it on he field this year though, but I think we can

12 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

You blaming Tommy for another quarterback not performing? 

Interesting point. But if Tommy could perform well at the QB position, there would not be another QB out there to critique in the first place …

Tommy’s liabilities (or at least his former liabilities, who knows if he’s improved on them for this season) are the reason a different QB goes out there on 3rd/4th and short in the first place. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Interesting point. But if Tommy could perform well at the QB position, there would not be another QB out there to critique in the first place …

Tommy’s liabilities (or at least his former liabilities, who knows if he’s improved on them for this season) are the reason a different QB goes out there on 3rd/4th and short in the first place. 

Completely disagree.  Tommy doesn't have any issues with handing the ball off or making a short completion for a first down.   

3 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

At this point I would add QB to the offensive question marks.  Tommy is not going to get the offense to the level needed to win a NATTY or even compete for one.    IMO Danny has designed the offense to make Tommy better(great stats) than he actually is, but the motion and all the short passes at some point becomes limiting.  

I like what Holinka has done on D.  A big part of where we are after the first 5 will be how fast the backup LB's and DB's become what they need to be.  They will likely be on the field alot in those first 5 games.

The team last year would have made the playoffs if it wasn’t for some unfortunate bounces/ bad calls. Good enough to win it all? No but he led the offense to 24 points against Utah state and the lead at half. He is not so bad as the critics say.

22 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

The team last year would have made the playoffs if it wasn’t for some unfortunate bounces/ bad calls. Good enough to win it all? No but he led the offense to 24 points against Utah state and the lead at half. He is not so bad as the critics say.

I would never use the term bad. Tommy is a smart football player with a below average arm who doesn’t like to run the football.

I am restless with UND football,  like most of you, and want to win the conference every year, and be a perennial national power.  

I see 2 ways we will breakthrough and get to that point:

1. We develop a crazy good OL to go with our solid D

We have a dynamic dual threat qb.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Below average arms don't, as an underclassman, complete 65% of their passes and rank 4th in the MVFC in passing yards per game.  Tommy was 4th in passing yards per game while only a single receiver had over 400 receiving yards.  Tommy had little receiving talent to work with last year, and any of the talent he did have was either injured or coming off a major injury - let's see what Tommy can do this year as an upper classman with what should be a better receiving corps.  

Man I hope you all make me eat my words this season, I truly do.  Go hawks!

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

This.  With a good O-line, UND would have done much better in the Red Zone.  Tommy was able to get them there.   Given that UND had 7 turnovers and 3 missed field goals in the red zone, it's surprising that UND scored as much as they did.

image.png.07c34ee7f175351d8f72d415307cab82.png
Field goals stats are conf games only:

image.png.dd177056fa5601b64231634e90c70964.png

Christ we had a nfl draft pick on online

id Say our online was good

yonmy just can’t get it done

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Below average arms don't, as an underclassman, complete 65% of their passes and rank 4th in the MVFC in passing yards per game.  Tommy was 4th in passing yards per game while only a single receiver had over 400 receiving yards.  Tommy had little receiving talent to work with last year, and any of the talent he did have was either injured or coming off a major injury - let's see what Tommy can do this year as an upper classman with what should be a better receiving corps.  

I agree. Tommy struggled in some games last year but overall played well. I just rewatched the SDSU game the other day and Tommy had a ton of good throws. With those good throws he had a few drops that would have been huge plays for us. We need our wrs to make all the plays when they are there to be made. 

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Man I hope you all make me eat my words this season, I truly do.  Go hawks!

Our F ups last year cost us a bid to the playoffs. I wouldn’t say we could blame any player for helping us miss the playoffs. How deep we could have gone that’s another story….

56 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Christ we had a nfl draft pick on online

id Say our online was good

yonmy just can’t get it done

We seriously could not get a yard or two last year when we needed it to save our lives! We got no push all year especially on short yardages. I hope to see some big improvement this year across the line. A better Oline maybe all it would have took last year to win 3 more of those close games.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Completely disagree.  Tommy doesn't have any issues with handing the ball off or making a short completion for a first down.   

Okay, well why would Schuster leave the field then so often? That’s the question posed. 

Freund is a nice guy, trying to get too many of his QBs on the field. I agree that it should be a 1-QB system, that much is clear. I’ve already said numerous times that Schuster on the field allows for more of the playbook than when Vaughn is out there. The key here is that Freund felt compelled to still play Vaughn. Is it because Vaughn was so talented he needed to see the field, were certain promises made, or was Freund just honestly convinced a 2-QB system would be the best way to run the offense? 

Don’t get me wrong, UND needs to find a single QB to run the offense. Schuster is the rightful front runner. The more a 2-QB system is run in 2022, the more mistakes there will be to be made. Hopefully Schuster grabs it and runs with it and Freund allows him to do that. If Vaughn improves and grabs the spot, that would be fine as well. Just need someone to surface.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Please give it a rest until at least the husker game.  Broken before the season starts.

It’s not a secret everyone is hitching this season to the ability of Tommy Schuster. Makes people sensitive around here. Bit goofy to be honest. But sure, the offensive line, running back, receivers, corners, linebackers, safeties all are important to the success moving forward as well. Let’s see how the team puts it together. 

13 hours ago, nodak651 said:

He’s accurate and makes good decisions; two most important attributes for a QB. That with playing time is why he has racked up yards. He just doesn’t have the strongest arm nor is he a big physical, fast athlete - those are the deficiencies that some grasp onto. It should be fine to point them out, but, again, the two most important attributes Schuster has. That’s a good thing. 

With all that said, this 2-QB system should be under the microscope a bit more. Perhaps it is just Freund overthinking it, since everyone appears convinced Schuster is a top QB, but UND needs to hand this system to the top guy and let him grow with it. 

We've talked about a "weak" arm before. 

Watch this: https://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/31816-und-travels-to-southern-illinois-oct-16-2pm/page/30/#comment-1203252

The analysis of the throw is here: https://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/31816-und-travels-to-southern-illinois-oct-16-2pm/page/30/#comment-1203254 

" ... a 135 foot throw (45 yards), no wind-up, under pressure, into a bucket." <-- And on time. 

Schuster's throwing motion is very smooth and relaxed. He doesn't look like he's rifling a ball, but it gets to where it needs to be on schedule. 

My only critique would be he doesn't seem to like throwing deep down the middle. I suspect it's the "game manager" mindset (no picks). 

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Watch this: https://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/31816-und-travels-to-southern-illinois-oct-16-2pm/page/30/#comment-1203252

The analysis of the throw is here: https://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/31816-und-travels-to-southern-illinois-oct-16-2pm/page/30/#comment-1203254 

" ... a 135 foot throw (45 yards), no wind-up, under pressure, into a bucket." <-- And on time. 

Schuster's throwing motion is very smooth and relaxed. He doesn't look like he's rifling a ball, but it gets to where it needs to be on schedule. 

Good ol’ trigonometry and kinematics … velocity is average at best for Schuster and thus the arc of the ball is higher to compensate, but you’re right, it definitely gets there. 

I’m not arguing this point nor interested in doing that. Accuracy and decision making more important for a QB. But arm strength and athleticism are nice bonuses. 

Curious to see what Freund’s 2022 offense has evolved into. The 2021 version wasn’t nearly good enough. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

My only critique would be he doesn't seem to like throwing deep down the middle. I suspect it's the "game manager" mindset (no picks). 

Wind aided?:p

• Upvote 1

On 8/25/2022 at 10:08 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Respectfully disagree. RB by committee is always a scary proposition. I'd like one to step up and be pressure-situation reliable or be able to do 22 carries when they have the hot hand. 

In the Valley, you better hope you have more than 1 solid RB. These guys get beat up and wore down. Every team needs a committee if they want to be successful. Now if you have a committee because nobody stands out, then I agree. Sounds like we have multiple guys that stand out and that is a recipe for success on the ground.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

In Any conference, you better hope you have more than 1 solid RB. These guys get beat up and wore down. Every team needs a committee if they want to be successful. Now if you have a committee because nobody stands out, then I agree. Sounds like we have multiple guys that stand out and that is a recipe for success on the ground.

Fyp

i agree with your post