SiouxSports.com Forum

UND travels to Southern Illinois Oct. 16 2p.m.

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

11 hours ago, CMSioux said:

It hasn't been that long ago that we had starting QBs that could not consistently hit 5 yard throws or swing passes. At least those are automatic now. 

This would be Quincy but at least he could get UND a yard on a QB sneak.........oh wait. Nevermind.

33 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Ok one final thought.  Our 4 yard pass machine has scored :

10, 13 and 21 points so far in MVFC.  That’s a shade less than 15 points a game.

15 points would have won ZERO MVFC conference games so far this season.  

Have the best offensive mind you know watch the NDSU, USD and SIU games evaluating the offense and the qb play in particular.  With Tommy in the game, D coordinators can’t wait to get to Saturday.

The film doesn’t lie.

Breakdown the film and send it to Danny.  I'm he is waiting.  Maybe they will bring you in as QB coach.

44 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Breakdown the film and send it to Danny.  I'm he is waiting.  Maybe they will bring you in as QB coach.

No need, UND is scoring points at will.  The 5.5 yards per pass attempt is keeping opposing DC up at night.  If you can find a way to stop us scoring points through the air, Tommy will torch us with his legs.  

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I was just pointing out that if one is going to attempt to include dropped passes in a an stat line that ballls that probably should NOT have been caught should also be considered.  I rewatched the game and there were 3 catches that were far beyond ordinary.

The posters in this board are largely  frustrated because UND has lost 3 consecutive games it should/could have won against likely top 10/20 competition.   My point is in today’s football, the QB is key, and IMO our QB makes it easier to defend UND than any other QB we have faced during that 3 game span.

Should not have been caught based on what? The WR Madden rating?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

No need, UND is scoring points at will.  The 5.5 yards per pass attempt is keeping opposing DC up at night.  If you can find a way to stop us scoring points through the air, Tommy will torch us with his legs.  

yes but.  How do you really feel?  We have no idea.

• Upvote 2

Tommy threw a dime for being pressured pretty heavily only about a half a second after the ball was snapped.  Did he have time to check down to multiple receivers?  Kinda doubt it.  Not sure what more you could ask of him on a play like this, on thrid down, with two linebackers standing on the 20 yard line.

That throw by Tommy:
- 30 yards (90 feet) downfield
- from near hash to far sideline (100 feet)
- basic throwing motion (no wind-up step-up)

A little Pythagorean triangle math says that was a 135 foot throw (45 yards), no wind-up, under pressure, into a bucket. 

Wish my arm was that "weak" ... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

Assuming what Bubba said in his press conference today is true, the blame for this rests equally between Bubba and Otis. It's an example of poor communication at work.

What Bubba said today: Otis was ill for the first half of the week and wasn't able to practice with the team. The coaches chose to bring the players that had practiced and were prepared for the game(remember that there are practical roster limits on away games - bring the players that give you the best chance to win). This is a perfectly legitimate reason to leave Otis at home. And if Otis's illness was gastro-intestinal or anything else that can pass quickly, it would make sense that he would be feeling good enough to watch his brother's game on Friday night and that it wouldn't hurt his recovery for him to be there.

Bubba's mistake came Friday or Saturday when he announced Otis wasn't going to play due to illness. The inference of his statement was that Otis was currently ill at the time. Maybe it was an attempt at gamesmanship or something, but Bubba could have easily said instead that Otis had been ill and unable to practice during the week. If Bubba had said that, this would never have been a story.

Otis's mistake came when he went into the broadcast booth at the Moorhead HS game on Friday and didn't use the opportunity to explain why he was there and not with the team. He could have found a way to insert that he had been sick most of the week and unable to practice and prepare. He then could have said that space on the bus/plane/traveling roster is limited and the coaches felt that it was better for the team that his usual spot go to someone that had been able to practice for this game and that he(Otis) completely agreed with that decision. That he really wished that he could be there, but that it was best for the team and at least seeing his brother's senior day game was a consolation. He could have squeezed that in in 15 seconds or less during a pause in the action and this would never have been a story.

Again, this all assumes that what Bubba said today is the truth and that the illness was earlier in the week.

This is my hope as well.   I think we can all agree that Otis seems to be a very positive force both talent wise and hyping up his team mates on the sideline.  I thought when he was on the sidelines at the Drake game he was still very positive.  I love the Otis story and watching him on the field and I hope this can be figured out both for him personally and the team as well.

The outlier to this in my mind is the contrast to Maag.. who is also injured but was at the SIU game on the sideline.  I would have expected that if Otis was well enough to be at the High School game on Friday that he would have been well enough to be on the sideline during the SIU game.

2 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

This is my hope as well.   I think we can all agree that Otis seems to be a very positive force both talent wise and hyping up his team mates on the sideline.  I thought when he was on the sidelines at the Drake game he was still very positive.  I love the Otis story and watching him on the field and I hope this can be figured out both for him personally and the team as well.

The outlier to this in my mind is the contrast to Maag.. who is also injured but was at the SIU game on the sideline.  I would have expected that if Otis was well enough to be at the High School game on Friday that he would have been well enough to be on the sideline during the SIU game.

Was maag a game time decision?

How many other injured players made the trip?

did our kicker that’s hurt make the trip?

I guess come Saturday we will know if he is healthy and playing, I hope he is

don't know why some people are apparently hoping for the worst outcome 

17 minutes ago, Kab said:

How many other injured players made the trip?

did our kicker that’s hurt make the trip?

I guess come Saturday we will know if he is healthy and playing, I hope he is

don't know why some people are apparently hoping for the worst outcome 

Morrison, Lotysz, and Weah were all tweeting about the game during it. So it seems like injured players who weren't game time decisions didn't make the trip.

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

That throw by Tommy:
- 30 yards (90 feet) downfield
- from near hash to far sideline (100 feet)
- basic throwing motion (no wind-up step-up)

A little Pythagorean triangle math says that was a 135 foot throw (45 yards), no wind-up, under pressure, into a bucket. 

Wish my arm was that "weak" ... 

Sorry, but the QB geniuses have spoken and they do NOT think Schuster can do anything on a football field that's conducive to moving an offense even though we had almost 500 yards of TO in the last game. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Ah the article where the first thing said about him is "I don't know what's going on"

Ok fine. I'm an idiot that has no business posting an inference. You are brilliant. There...you happy?

• Upvote 1