SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Missouri State, Oct. 30, 2pm

AJS

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

This was terrible loss and you can point to number things like coaching or individual players but the bottom line i believe is we have team that is being led by number young players that are very talented are still young players who are prone to make mistakes under pressure especially on the offense.  WE have quarterback, running backs, and receivers who are all either freshman or sophomores leading this team on offense.  Defense is more experienced but because of injuries were now playing more young players there also. This has been weakness of North Dakota is we haven't gotten to point where were real deep on the football team where we have junior /senior starters with sophomore / freshman as backups learning and developing into players. Taking this all into account we still have very competitive team and seems to be getting better talent wise the past couple years.  I can hear now naysayers its all coaching but remember we have just gone through changing conferences and playing independent schedule  making recruiting more difficult  to attract top players. Also not to mention the difference in conferences in type of players you need to be successful between the conferences. This has been difficult season to say and with such high expectations to start the season but maybe what were experiencing is hang over from the spring for sure this is going to be lost season where we could have been force in conference.  I am sure the people who know more about football will tell me i am all wrong but over years teams with senior leadership generally are more successful this doesn't happen quickly but people believe it happens this way. 

Agree that Senior leadership is important - Bubba has been head coach and recruiter since 2014 so - well just do the math.  And an all Senior roster still couldn't save us from Bubba's stupid in-game decisions.

18 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Last 7 mins was what was rough, convert that 4th and 2 and the game is put away. Why are we blaming Bubba  for the trick play and not Danny? 

take away that last minute fumble and the game is also put away.

Not sure how this loss was on Bubba today……..???

bc he hires these guys....

4 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

There has just been some bad juju out there. The players know; the coaches know. But very hard to turn around…is there a strong upperclassman pumping players up? Can’t be 100% coaches but some bad juju somewhere.

In Vermillion, I was at the 50 yard line, row 12, right behind the UND bench. I did not see any of that let’s go, slapping each other on the back, and no high 5’s. So not 100% coaches fault.

iI hope this changes but I do not have a suggestion on how to do it!

GO SIOUX!

I think @Mama Sueis right. UND has to develop a culture of winning. I feel like they’re really close. Not there yet. I do think the staff at least has to take a look at the offensive scheme. It’s become stagnant and predictable. 

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I’m D1 we just have consistently done a terrible job of handling success. All three conference championships were followed by complete let downs. Each time the fan base was ready to explode and were let down. In the past the issue was relaxing after success. If you watch Saban Coach, the more success they have, the harder he is on his guys. Up 20 in the national title game and he’s not afraid to lose his mind over the smallest of mental errors. That trickles down to the rest of the program. We lack that.

Bubba would be a great government employee (which I guess he kind of is).  Lots of mediocre play, a few big mistakes, get put on a performance improvement plan......make the playoffs ..just enough to get off of the improvement plan......repeat.  

Love Bubba and what he's meant to UND but he's just not cut out for DI FCS Football at this level.   Time and time again our players commit stupid penalties although I"m sure Bubba reminds them that's not to smart in a very North Dakota way - a way that sounds like your grandpa reminding you to close the refidgerator door.  Bubba could be a great rep for UND in the Alumni Association raising money but the FB program needs to move in a new direction to be successful at this level.  That means not elevating Freund to HC (or any other assistant) - we need to bring in an aggressive individual from outside UND football.   New blood in coaching would invigorate this program which is exactly what it needs.   New Era - New Conference - New Blood!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 10/30/2021 at 11:27 PM, Sioux>Bison said:

Not ready for a new coach quite yet. Until these loses turn into a season of blow outs it is really not time for a Coaching change. I honestly think people are more pissed we lost 4 games of which we should have won all of them, than if we got blew out by those same teams. !@#!$ feeling I know but a wholesale change will be bad for the program.

How long will you be okay with being average?  To me it seems like he's taken UND as far as he is going to.  

10 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

How long will you be okay with being average?  To me it seems like he's taken UND as far as he is going to.  

Agreed. I think Bubba did a great job of getting UND to this point. Honestly it has been a big improvement from where we were in terms of the product on the field, the compete level, the recruiting, etc. but as you said, he's taken UND as far as he is going to.

I don't think Freund is the answer either, questionable OC at times, and not ready for a HC job. Would like to see them get someone with more intensity and less mental errors.

I don't suppose Tim Tibesar wants to move to GF? I don't know much about him, but I remember hearing a lot of good things during the last coaching hire. Any other could potential candidates out there?

1 hour ago, crb1 said:

When I watch this years MN Vikings team it reminds me of the UND football team, especially in the play calling, game management and defensive secondary areas. 

There were definitely similarities between the Vikings loss and UND's loss this weekend. 

5 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

This is 100% on the coaches.  Anyone with a grain of football knowledge, knows it.

If...and these are mighty big IF's there is no fumble we run out the clock.

IF, the D doesn't fall asleep and fail to stop a team from not only scoring 2 TDs but a 2 point conversion late in a game we win.

NOT ALL of this is on coaches.

• Upvote 1