SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Missouri State, Oct. 30, 2pm

AJS

33 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Imagine being up 28-17 vs Missouri State with under 7 minutes in the 4th qtr in a must win for your team's playoff hopes.  Your offense is running for over 6 yard per carry.  It's 4th and 2 at the MSU 29 yard line.  Instead of just handing off the ball to Otis Weah or having Quincy Vaughn keep the ball and likely run for the first down, at the last moment QV steps to the side and the ball is snapped directly to Otis who turns to run to the right on outside zone play. Instead of running for the first down, he is supposed to hand the ball off to Belquist on a reverse to the left.  The exchange between Otis and Belquist is very bad to say the least and the ball is turned over to MSU at the MSU 37.

Did I mention we had a 2 score lead?

Did I mention we were averaging over 6 yards per carry?

Did I mention we direct snapped it to someone who I don't think has EVER taken a direct snap for the Hawks in a game and assumed he would cleanly hand it off to a WR about 7 yards deep in the backfield on a 4th and 2?

That is how good teams lose football games to lesser teams.

Or you know make it 31-17 with a field goal?

37 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Imagine being up 28-17 vs Missouri State with under 7 minutes in the 4th qtr in a must win for your team's playoff hopes.  Your offense is running for over 6 yard per carry.  It's 4th and 2 at the MSU 29 yard line.  Instead of just handing off the ball to Otis Weah or having Quincy Vaughn keep the ball and likely run for the first down, at the last moment QV steps to the side and the ball is snapped directly to Otis who turns to run to the right on outside zone play. Instead of running for the first down, he is supposed to hand the ball off to Belquist on a reverse to the left.  The exchange between Otis and Belquist is very bad to say the least and the ball is turned over to MSU at the MSU 37.

Did I mention we direct snapped it to someone who I don't think has EVER taken a direct snap for the Hawks in a game and assumed he would cleanly hand it off to a WR about 7 yards deep in the backfield on a 4th and 2?

Why does this sound familiar?

Oh wait…. The Richmond game

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

This is how I feel 100%! 

2 hours ago, shep said:

No good to hate, just causes negative feelings within, but you're feelings are correct-too many are cheering for him to fail.

Agree, that was just my feelings after several beverages and getting back to my room and reading the thread before I crashed. 

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

It’s funny some of you Otis haters are blaming this all on him. I really think some of you legitimately want him to F up and get kicked off the team. Some of you are pathetic and are the reason I hate people sometimes. 

That loss was not on Otis. He was the reason UND should have won that game. Fumbles can happen to anyone. That loss was on the coaching staff. Trick plays are great gadget plays to run once or twice a game. They shouldn’t be run on 4th down when you have been getting 3 or 4 yards every carry. It is almost like Freund doesn’t think they can just line up and beat you. He thinks he has to trick you. 

I get a kick out of it every time Jack Michaels says UND’s coaching staff is the best in the country. 

I for one am not blaming Otis . He fumbled.  It happens.  He should have NEVER been put in the position to muff the exchange on the the 4th and 2.  That is 100% on Bubba and the staff and everyone surrounding the team, including staff and players can figure that out.

Like I said earlier you can watch D1 college football for the next 20 years and that move combined with the 4th and 1 call vs NDSU will always be as bad of coaching/game management as one will EVER see.

As for the Otis situation, with how that game ended yesterday, I doubt that situation will get better over the next 3 weeks.

• Upvote 1

The microanalysis of fans is hilarious. Love to focus in on one or two controversial plays, when the result is determined by a total sum of several plays throughout the entire game. Easy to point out the fumble and failed 4th down attempt, but what about the defense’s failures at the end of the game? Or the failed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down plays that led to UND being presented with 4&2? Or how about the missed throws early on by Schuster? So many opportunities over the course of a FB game, but fans love to latch on to controversy in the last two minutes.

Recency bias at its best. 

To sum up this season, UND is close to being a good team, as they’ve lost so many close games, but they are what their record says they are: a losing team. As I said in a earlier post, this UND squad (players and coaches all included) has a losing mindset. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The microanalysis of fans is hilarious. Love to focus in on one or two controversial plays, when the result is determined by a total sum of several plays throughout the entire game. Easy to point out the fumble and failed 4th down attempt, but what about the defense’s failures at the end of the game? Or the failed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down plays that led to UND being presented with 4&2? Or how about the missed throws early on by Schuster? So many opportunities over the course of a FB game, but fans love to latch on to controversy in the last two minutes.

To sum up this season, UND is close to being a good team, as they’ve lost so many close games, but they are what their record says they are: a losing team. As I said in a earlier post, this UND squad (players and coaches all included) has a losing mindset. 

The 4th and 2 call is a summary of the UND program.  The pieces are there to be a great team(5-0 in MVFC), but the mindset, game management and discipline is not.  The talent will never be in Grand Forks which is good enough to make up for the lacking in those 3 areas.  On the 4th and 2 , UND not only snapped it to a RB to hand off/pitch(were they sure)? but the starting QB(Tommy) was not on the field to handle the ball either.

29 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Winners win and losers lose.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

That loss was not on Otis. He was the reason UND should have won that game. Fumbles can happen to anyone. That loss was on the coaching staff. Trick plays are great gadget plays to run once or twice a game. They shouldn’t be run on 4th down when you have been getting 3 or 4 yards every carry. It is almost like Freund doesn’t think they can just line up and beat you. He thinks he has to trick you. 

I get a kick out of it every time Jack Michaels says UND’s coaching staff is the best in the country. 

Source?  Need the audio

18 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Winners win and losers lose.

The real question is what happened from the spring to the fall? Take a close hard look at who they lost, sure, but something else got into the team’s head. The team was making critical plays to win in the spring but now they most certainly aren’t. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The real question is what happened from the spring to the fall? Take a close hard look at who they lost, sure, but something else got into the team’s head. The team was making critical plays to win in the spring but now they most certainly aren’t. 

The team never got its mojo back after the exposure @NDSU. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Kab said:

Even at 6 and 5 there are no playoffs with a win over drake and Idaho state and conference of 4 and 4 

if you get in with that the rest of fcs is really week 

Someone could get in at 6-5 but it will not be UND.

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Even at 6 and 5 there are no playoffs with a win over drake and Idaho state and conference of 4 and 4 

if you get in with that the rest of fcs is really week 

So you're saying Bubba is going to outcoach Stig on the road?   Are we talking about the same Bubba?

This was terrible loss and you can point to number things like coaching or individual players but the bottom line i believe is we have team that is being led by number young players that are very talented are still young players who are prone to make mistakes under pressure especially on the offense.  WE have quarterback, running backs, and receivers who are all either freshman or sophomores leading this team on offense.  Defense is more experienced but because of injuries were now playing more young players there also. This has been weakness of North Dakota is we haven't gotten to point where were real deep on the football team where we have junior /senior starters with sophomore / freshman as backups learning and developing into players. Taking this all into account we still have very competitive team and seems to be getting better talent wise the past couple years.  I can hear now naysayers its all coaching but remember we have just gone through changing conferences and playing independent schedule  making recruiting more difficult  to attract top players. Also not to mention the difference in conferences in type of players you need to be successful between the conferences. This has been difficult season to say and with such high expectations to start the season but maybe what were experiencing is hang over from the spring for sure this is going to be lost season where we could have been force in conference.  I am sure the people who know more about football will tell me i am all wrong but over years teams with senior leadership generally are more successful this doesn't happen quickly but people believe it happens this way. 

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

The team never got its mojo back after the exposure @NDSU. 

There has just been some bad juju out there. The players know; the coaches know. But very hard to turn around…is there a strong upperclassman pumping players up? Can’t be 100% coaches but some bad juju somewhere.

In Vermillion, I was at the 50 yard line, row 12, right behind the UND bench. I did not see any of that let’s go, slapping each other on the back, and no high 5’s. So not 100% coaches fault.

iI hope this changes but I do not have a suggestion on how to do it!

GO SIOUX!