SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Missouri State, Oct. 30, 2pm

AJS

On 11/1/2021 at 3:35 PM, UND Football Fan said:

Bum Phillips said plays don’t win games; players do, he later added coaches need to call plays that players can understand and execute. We are lacking this (plays guys can understand and execute) at times. And this game showed it.

Players win games. Coaches don’t win games, but can lose games. Interesting concept, but one I 100% agree with. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Players win games. Coaches don’t win games, but can lose games. Interesting concept, but one I 100% agree with. 

Does anyone think if Nick Saban and his staff had been hired at UND last January 1st, and been working our same personnel we would be 3-5?  Drastic example, but hopefully you understand the point.

25 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Does anyone think if Nick Saban and his staff had been hired at UND last January 1st, and been working our same personnel we would be 3-5?  Drastic example, but hopefully you understand the point.

Extremely hypothetical, but I’ll bite: 

Would UND be 8-0? No

Would UND be 3-5? No.

They would be somewhere in between, because with matchups against NDSU, USD, SIU, and MSU, there are wins to be had if the team is more focused and better instructed. 

I’d go with 5-3 if they had a “Saban” staff …

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I’d go with 5-3 if they had a “Saban” staff …

My head went to 6-2 (L to USU and NDSU). 

I say USU because of their WR speed and NDSU because I believe their staff went hyper-conservative on offense when they saw their defense had control of the game (see: ten points) and didn't want or need to put much on film for their future opponents. Then again, a Saban staff might have found a way to grab one of those two games. 

No offense, but this is missing the biggest point: A Saban staff recruits an entirely different type of player.  We are comparing apples to oranges.

Would anyone want a Scott Frost here? 

He did well at UCF, not well at his alma mater. 

I see  former USC Coach Clay Helton went to Ga Southern. They are FBS but haven't been for long.

47 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

UND’s not going to get a “big name” with the budget we have for football and same goes for basketball (could have potentially snagged Ben McCollum from NWMoSt but couldn’t afford him). 

That's why I asked if the vax-fired WasSU coach had a fully guaranteed contract ... including if he took another job after termination. ;) 

I say if Saban and his entire staff is coaching since 1/1, UND is a minimum of 7-1 with the lone loss likely being USU.  Saban and staff is worth a minimum 10 points per game.  When the "Jimmies and Joes" are in the same ballpark it comes down to coaching.  Some of the "Jimmies and Joes" were noticeably different in our games vs USU and Drake.

99% of the staffs in America would have managed the end of the MSU game better and not called for the "razzle/dazzle" with an 11 point lead, ~ 6 minutes remaining, ball at opponent 27, 4th & 2 and averaging 6+ yards per carry.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

My head went to 6-2 (L to USU and NDSU). 

I say USU because of their WR speed and NDSU because I believe their staff went hyper-conservative on offense when they saw their defense had control of the game (see: ten points) and didn't want or need to put much on film for their future opponents. Then again, a Saban staff might have found a way to grab one of those two games. 

Even Bubba could have snatched the NDSU victory if he wasn't so stupid. Handing one of the best teams in the country 3 points in a tightly contested game that you are winning isn't going to work in your favor too often.

7 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I say if Saban and his entire staff is coaching since 1/1, UND is a minimum of 7-1 with the lone loss likely being USU.  Saban and staff is worth a minimum 10 points per game.  When the "Jimmies and Joes" are in the same ballpark it comes down to coaching.  Some of the "Jimmies and Joes" were noticeably different in our games vs USU and Drake.

99% of the staffs in America would have managed the end of the MSU game better and not called for the "razzle/dazzle" with an 11 point lead, ~ 6 minutes remaining, ball at opponent 27, 4th & 2 and averaging 6+ yards per carry.  

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On 11/1/2021 at 9:16 AM, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed. I think Bubba did a great job of getting UND to this point. Honestly it has been a big improvement from where we were in terms of the product on the field, the compete level, the recruiting, etc. but as you said, he's taken UND as far as he is going to.

I don't think Freund is the answer either, questionable OC at times, and not ready for a HC job. Would like to see them get someone with more intensity and less mental errors.

I don't suppose Tim Tibesar wants to move to GF? I don't know much about him, but I remember hearing a lot of good things during the last coaching hire. Any other could potential candidates out there?

I mean, now he is available ....