SiouxSports.com Forum

Game Day - UND at USD. 10/09/21

SiouxFan100

18 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

3rd and 6 at USD 29( we are in FG range).  USD shows bringing 6, they only bring 5 but loop someone around who is not picked up.  What should Tommy do with the ball?

Screenshot (4513).png

Screenshot (4512).png

Backfoot throw to the post pattern 6'6 WR we have that runs a 4.3 40.  

Ohh, not in my dreams...:lol:

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Thing is, you don’t know what you’re talking about here. The guy had wheels and an NFL caliber arm. Immaturity issues, not lack of talent, are what made his time at UND a spectacular blip on the radar. Go back and watch his game against San Diego St. He was dominant that game. Muss felt obligated to play the FBS transfer but our offense was better with Marcus. I could go on about this topic but I won’t waste my time.

So all the NFL scouts and local sports writers failed and they and I don’t know what we’re talking about? Right …

I’ll take the odds here and say you don’t know what you’re taking about 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

That's not what you said.  Completely different topic.  I want to know what QB's are carrying their teams when the running game is shut down. 

That’s not what I meant and it was pretty obvious.  Contemporary college football is all about including the QB running game and/or emphasizing the QB position. But if you really want to nitpick, just look at last year’s FCS champion. SHSU in the semifinals and final barely ran for over 150 yards total, outside of QB Schmid’s running production, but they spread teams out and we’re smart with both vertical/horizontal passing game.

Again, I am NOT advocating for abandoning the running game. And to make it sound like I’m against running football is asinine and juvenile reading interpretation. The top teams need to be able to run the ball, but they oftentimes have a QB that significantly contributes to the running game and/or QB can elevate the team with his arm and leadership, not just be a game manager and be “adequate” 

• Upvote 1

Was only able to watch the first quarter of the game from the Nashville airport.  Wasn't surprised to see we ended up losing when I got back online.  Haven't had time to go back and watch the rest of the game yet.  Sure seems like our weak OL, some limitations at QB, and no true deep threat at QB have just made it too easy for teams to figure us out.  Danny doesn't need to scrap the play book, but he needs to figure something out quick if we want a shot at salvaging the season.  But with all of the penalties and everything, it just feels like there is something off....like the 360 guys eluded to.  I wouldn't put Feeney in there, he is not our answer this year in my opinion, and I'd rather not waste a year of eligibility.  If we lose next week and our offense is pathetic once again, you've got nothing to lose to put Q in on some series to shake things up and see in game action if he is more or less productive than Tommy.  It's so perplexing how we scored almost as many points on the first three drives against an FBS team as we have in the last two games. 

I had a bad feeling going into this USD game.   I'm glad SIU beat SDSU last week, they will come in riding high and confident and will be expecting to roll us as payback for last year.  I think our team will play better next weekend, but not sure if it will be enough to get the win. 

Root cause this year for our perceived slide is the offensive line. Too many penalties. We are not dominating the line of scrimmage and it shows with the regression of Otis and Schuster. Losing those 3-4 O-lineman from last year looms large. We are not winning the time of possession battle so our Defense is on the field too much. We get gassed in the 2nd half so we can’t get off the field.  We can’t be 2 for 9 on 3rd down.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

3rd and 6 at USD 29( we are in FG range).  USD shows bringing 6, they only bring 5 but loop someone around who is not picked up.  What should Tommy do with the ball?

Screenshot (4513).png

Screenshot (4512).png

I must admit i was expecting Bubba to punt in this situation, so this play caught me off guard.  

Just curious why we can’t seem to force any turnovers this year.  Not sure what our turnover ratio was last year compared to this, but I would guess it made our offense look a little better last year operating from a short field.

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Thing is, you don’t know what you’re talking about here. The guy had wheels and an NFL caliber arm. Immaturity issues, not lack of talent, are what made his time at UND a spectacular blip on the radar. Go back and watch his game against San Diego St. He was dominant that game. Muss felt obligated to play the FBS transfer but our offense was better with Marcus. I could go on about this topic but I won’t waste my time.

That's a oretty big flaw for a position that is the leader of the team

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

That's a oretty big flaw for a position that is the leader of the team

The question was simply who was the last dynamic qb we’ve had. That’s it. I answered the question. I have no interest in “conversing” with people who constantly move the goal posts so they can keep bitching about everything.

• Like 1

No excuse for not getting plays in or the number of false starts this year.  And I think we need to be a pass first team looking for guys like jack wright, zavalney, and someone else to step up and become consistent targets. They don't need to be burners, they just need to understand leverage and Tommy will throw them open.  Schuster's decision making and arm can  win games for us if we game plan for it from the starrt.  Run game just isn't going to be a strength this year.  And can defense get a pick?  Should have had two of them on each of the last two games.

13 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND needs to improve at both QB and offensive line. Discouraging since most recent changes to offense per Bubba was hiring new offensive coordinator (Freund) and offensive line coach (Pawlak) in 2018. Results thus far have been only average. 

OL was pretty damn good in the spring……. Then graduation/ transfer hit. Not sure what’s going on this fall but something is way off

6 hours ago, tnt said:

Just curious why we can’t seem to force any turnovers this year.  Not sure what our turnover ratio was last year compared to this, but I would guess it made our offense look a little better last year operating from a short field.

Our defense is playing great, less focus on making turnovers and less big plays being allowed 

9 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Our defense is playing great, less focus on making turnovers and less big plays being allowed 

But with this offense, they need to step up right away so they aren't playing from behind.  

9 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Not sure I would say great…. great is no missed tackles and stopping the run. But they are more consistent than our offense IMH (and limited) O

We had a turnover game.
Then an undisciplined penalties game (false starts 3rd and 2 becomes 3rd and 7).
And then there's the lackluster performance game. 

Look back. There's that theme every season for the last five or more. That's coaching. 

• Upvote 3

It seems to me that the coaching is trapped in "90s mindset" --> win a 19-16 game by playing just field position and defense. That doesn't cut it in 2020's college football. That game is gone. You must have a mindset of 30 points minimum and being up two scores is not enough. 

It took 34 points to win an MVFC game last weekend .... except for the team playing UND (20). 
It took 31 points to win an MVFC game two weeks ago .... except for the team playing UND (16). 
The week before it took 31 (UND off). 

Teams know they can play the "90s" game and beat UND.

UND needs to start playing the 2020s game. 

It's 30 points or don't get on the bus and waste my time. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

That's coaching.

So when a coach (or coaches) preach discipline (which I am led to believe they do), and then undisciplined actions result in a game, is that on a coach or a player?  I am not trying to sound condescending, if it comes across that way.  I am legitimately wanting to know the answer to that question.  In a different example, if a parent preaches to their child not to get involved in drugs, or bullying, or whatever, but yet the kid does anyway, is that bad parenting?  Maybe the way it's approached is wrong?  So maybe a different coach could approach this differently and therefore be more effective.  I could see in that case that a different coach could/would make a difference in the player(s).  If the coach did nothing, that would be a coaching problem.  But if the coach is actively trying to change the situation, and it's not working, wouldn't that be the players' problem?  At some point the person causing the harm has to be held accountable. 

Dustin…excellent comments…yes, what do various coaches in various sports (or levels) do? I read and follow several college teams. I see in the paper that a Junior or senior left the team and is in the transfer portal (or not). Why? Then the next article talks about an underclass man doing a stellar job in his debut on the field. After several of these over the years, you can figure it out. The upper class man is not performing (or whatever) and will not be starting. Our high school team does a mandatory 10 push ups for any offsides. Everyone on the field…not just the one or two who were offsides.

I do know teams can run plays perfectly fine time after time in practice but fall apart during a game.

My other BIG question in this is the role of the AD. When a team is struggling….and coaches too…. the AD should be stepping in and maybe he has. I know a coach (won’t say what sport or level of play) who contacted the AD 3 times for help and was ignored (JERK)…. for a variety of other more public reasons that AD lost his standing in the community…

so the bad juju needs to be corrected somehow…..maybe the coaching staff has tried to and we do not know 

36 minutes ago, Dustin said:

So when a coach (or coaches) preach discipline (which I am led to believe they do), and then undisciplined actions result in a game, is that on a coach or a player?  I am not trying to sound condescending, if it comes across that way.  I am legitimately wanting to know the answer to that question.  In a different example, if a parent preaches to their child not to get involved in drugs, or bullying, or whatever, but yet the kid does anyway, is that bad parenting?  Maybe the way it's approached is wrong?  So maybe a different coach could approach this differently and therefore be more effective.  I could see in that case that a different coach could/would make a difference in the player(s).  If the coach did nothing, that would be a coaching problem.  But if the coach is actively trying to change the situation, and it's not working, wouldn't that be the players' problem?  At some point the person causing the harm has to be held accountable. 

College football is significantly impacted by coaching. You pose excellent questions, but the reason coaching is always the bottom line is because the coaching staff chooses (recruits) the players. They also formulate the schedule, the scheme, and ultimately the entire environment and direction of the program is dictated by the coaching staff. Sure, sometimes the players don't listen or don't have the ability to do better, but the coaches had thousands of options and ultimately chose the particular student-athletes they wanted to represent their program. 

In bigtime college sports, wins/loses dictates so much. It is important to not split and be overly critical; sometimes, a different voice and different direction is needed and that does not necessarily mean the replaced staff was incompetent. 

• Upvote 2