SiouxSports.com Forum

Game Day - UND at USD. 10/09/21

SiouxFan100

34 minutes ago, Dustin said:

So when a coach (or coaches) preach discipline (which I am led to believe they do), ... 

But are they? 

The same problems keep coming back time and again. 

I'd take a team that has no false starts, no fumbles, and plays with verve every week over what I see time and again, season after season (fumble game, penalty game, lackluster game). 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

But are they?

I am not saying they are, I have just been led to believe they are.  Maybe it's all coachspeak.  I don't take Bubba for that kind of guy, but I don't know him personally, so he could be a terrible coach for all I know...

29 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

But are they? 

The same problems keep coming back time and again. 

I'd take a team that has no false starts, no fumbles, and plays with verve every week over what I see time and again, season after season (fumble game, penalty game, lackluster game). 

Didn't we go through the whole spring season with very few stupid penalties? 

Not sure what has happened, though the loss of Hergel Nquon were more than we contemplated.

I tuned out after the game on Saturday and haven't read anything until today.  This team has too many unforgiveable mistakes taking place, and they all have to do with coaching.  To me, the biggest one on Saturday was coming out of halftime and having to take a timeout before running your first play.  I don't know how that happens.  It shouldn't, period.  Did any of the media ask Bubba about this?  Unfortunately this coaching staff have a habit of questionable calls, use of time outs, undisciplined penalties.  It is what it is and I don't expect it to change under the current leadership.  

57 minutes ago, shep said:

Not sure what has happened, though the loss of Hergel Nquon were more than we contemplated.

I do believe in my heart that it is simply a matter of getting an inexperienced O-line to gel. It’s taking longer than we expected, so we just have to put up with growing pains.  We are getting better with position depth, but I don’t think we have a 1A at every position yet, so some of these things take time.  I would think it will fix itself within the season. If not, we may need to look at some changes.

1 hour ago, shep said:

This is my thought, we had very few penalties this spring.  I can't imagine all of the sudden this fall the coaches just stopped talking about penalties etc. etc..  I'm sure they have been hammering all of this even harder than ever the past couple of weeks given what's been happening, I mean our coaches are not dumb.   Somebody made a point about pre-snap motion, I can't remember if we did as much pre-snap motion in the spring or not.  That could play a factor if they are doing more of that.   I also think the crux of the issue is our interior OL took a drastic drop off though and everything has snowballed from that.  In the end though the coaches get the blame though, that is normal.  Outside of dumb penalties, there have been enough issues directly relating to coaching/play call to deserve criticism though.  I'm not sure what the solution on offense is, but I'm hoping Danny figures something out this week.  

51 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I tuned out after the game on Saturday and haven't read anything until today.  This team has too many unforgiveable mistakes taking place, and they all have to do with coaching.  To me, the biggest one on Saturday was coming out of halftime and having to take a timeout before running your first play.  I don't know how that happens.  It shouldn't, period.  Did any of the media ask Bubba about this?  Unfortunately this coaching staff have a habit of questionable calls, use of time outs, undisciplined penalties.  It is what it is and I don't expect it to change under the current leadership.  

It’s weird because we played pretty tight football last spring. There wasn’t a whole lot of Schuster looking to the sideline like WTF and there were very few procedural penalties. That’s why we won more games. Short third downs have been getting blown up by our own dumb, easily fixable, mistakes.

2 hours ago, shep said:

I think most coaches would like the option to sit guys for lack of discipline, but with the losses on the offensive line, they don't have a lot of options.   Perhaps you do it anyway to prove a point, but I don't know what the drop-off looks like.   At this point, with how the offense has struggled, you can't afford penalties anyway, so might as well send the message.  

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

I think most coaches would like the option to sit guys for lack of discipline, but with the losses on the offensive line, they don't have a lot of options.   Perhaps you do it anyway to prove a point, but I don't know what the drop-off looks like.   At this point, with how the offense has struggled, you can't afford penalties anyway, so might as well send the message.  

That’s BS, you always have that option even if it’s going to cost you games. If your goal is to have a great program that is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

That’s BS, you always have that option even if it’s going to cost you games. If your goal is to have a great program that is.

I agree, and I guess I can't see every play, so I don't know if some guys were benched for a period after those false starts, but I think if that didn't happen it probably needs to, even if they aren't repeat offenders.  If you aren't ready for your own teams' hard counts, how do you expect the defensive line to be ready for the oppositions?   I say that, and the sad part is that I doubt that hard counts are any part of the problems. 

40 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I know of a program that you do it right or they put in someone who will. And they don't do anything extraordinary, but what they do the coaches demand they do extraordinarily well (or the coaches put in someone who does it extraordinarily well). 

On 10/10/2021 at 9:55 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

disagree to a degree; even in the spring, when the running game was shutdown (NDSU, JMU), Schuster couldn’t carry the team. 

Offensive line must improve,  but good QBs cover up offensive line deficiencies. To ask for the OL to improve while tolerating mediocre QB play is backwards. 

See my previous post on settling for “adequate” quarterbacks. That’s not the way the game is played currently; QB is too important to team’s success or lack thereof. 

nonetheless, both areas (OL,QB) need to improve 

we have ZEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wr's that scare anyone and it has been that way for almost a decade (minus clive).....................

• Upvote 1

Everything would be forgotten if we finally figured it out on Saturday and pulled off a big win!……… Huge opportunity to turn this season around and keep the playoff hopes alive…… also could be another weekend of disaster but I have faith in this team to right the ship!

6 hours ago, Dustin said:

So when a coach (or coaches) preach discipline (which I am led to believe they do), and then undisciplined actions result in a game, is that on a coach or a player?  I am not trying to sound condescending, if it comes across that way.  I am legitimately wanting to know the answer to that question.  In a different example, if a parent preaches to their child not to get involved in drugs, or bullying, or whatever, but yet the kid does anyway, is that bad parenting?  Maybe the way it's approached is wrong?  So maybe a different coach could approach this differently and therefore be more effective.  I could see in that case that a different coach could/would make a difference in the player(s).  If the coach did nothing, that would be a coaching problem.  But if the coach is actively trying to change the situation, and it's not working, wouldn't that be the players' problem?  At some point the person causing the harm has to be held accountable. 

Great question - no doubt that ultimately the off sides is on the player who jumped.  But .... to use your bullying or drug analogy - There is no doubt that kids from all situations can get involved in drugs no matter how many times they are told not to.  However, good parenting can significantly reduce this kind of behavior and is much more than saying don't do it - listening to your kids, becoming involved with their development at a young age, help them find an interest to get involved in (music, sports, drama etc), knowing who their friends are and monitoring their internet use.  Good practices aren't foolproof, but they do help significantly.  Same with coaching and programs.  Some programs emphasize discipline and being assignment sharp - they emphasize and insist on it in  practice and and work with those who are problems - these are usually successful.  In looking at our body of work over the last 5-6 years, we do not do a great job of this.  That's on the coaches.   

EDIT - To give a more concrete and closer to home example - Which teams had better self-discipline and were more assignment sharp - Lennon's or Mussman's?  It comes down to the head coach to set the expectations and follow through.  

21 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Everything would be forgotten if we finally figured it out on Saturday and pulled off a big win!……… Huge opportunity to turn this season around and keep the playoff hopes alive…… also could be another weekend of disaster but I have faith in this team to right the ship!

I hope I am wrong but I have a terrible felling about this weekend at SIU.

4 hours ago, dmksioux said:

some of the game management stuff is inexcusable.

49 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Lol.....that's good stuff.  Even if they run the table 3 losses isn't a guarantee for playoffs.  And frankly UND hasn't shown any indication a running of the table is coming. 

2 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Lol.....that's good stuff.  Even if they run the table 3 losses isn't a guarantee for playoffs.  And frankly UND hasn't shown any indication a running of the table is coming. 

Show me a 3 loss valley team that hasn’t made the playoffs in a 24 team field.