SiouxSports.com Forum

Game Day - UND at USD. 10/09/21

SiouxFan100

8 hours ago, JackJD said:

I sometimes read a conference mate's fan message board for fan insight into opposing teams. I just read pages 19-22 of this thread, curious about whether there was any insight into anything the Coyotes did that contributed to the final outcome. Lots of frustration being expressed --- understandable in a losing effort.  USD isn't an awful football team. I don't follow the 'Yotes closely but it sounds like they are not consistent. Translation:  they can be a very dangerous opponent, particularly when they're sleeping in their own beds and walking to their own facility for a game. So it seems to me that UND's loss in Vermillion must be attributable in some degree to USD doing a fw things well.  Did they? Any comments on what an opponent must do to stop the Coyotes?

I was at the SIU v SDSU game.  Your coaches studying film of the SIU v SDSU game will be reminded the SIU coaches are gamblers so you have to be ready for some unexpected plays (maybe lots of them). The SIU quarterback-- wearing #9 -- is short (5-9), but he's either fearless or was dropped on his head too many time as a kid. Probably fearless. He is a tough little s.o.b. He has reasonably good speed and if a play is breaking down, he'll get loose for a 5 to 8 yard gain. When #15 is lined up next to the QB, anything can happen...the ball may be hiked to 15 in the SIU wildcat version, or he may be there to block, take a handoff, or throw a pass.  With 15 joining 9 in the backfield, you'll be tempted to wish you had 12 guys on the field.  At times it appeared SIU's offensive ends had taken holding to a new level and not a single holding penalty was assessed (well, may have been one).  I recognize every O-lineman has to know how and when to hold without getting caught.  SDSU had their share of self-inflicted problems and did things (or were accused of doing something) which invited the stripes to throw yellow laundry at inopportune times.  But in the end, SIU had something to do with outcome and a pretty good Jackrabbit team lost at home in overtime to a pretty good SIU team. 

For purely personal reasons, I'd like to see UND leave Carbondale on Saturday with a 'W" in the recordbook.    

I honestly was not that impressed with USD. They held UND to only 13 points, so one could say that they played solid defense, but it was moreso UND being unable to get out of their own way offensively, in my opinion. Too many procedural penalties from UND and the passing game has not been explosive for UND this season. Lastly, UND has struggled getting their running game going all season due to offensive line issues (change in lineup as opposed to the spring). 

If I had to pick one thing that USD did well, it would be their inside running game. USD #5 Travis Theis ran hard and was a good physical runner. Otherwise, not too impressed with USD's passing game. UND's pass rush has been pretty solid this year, like most years, and against USD they were able to keep #18 Carson Camp uncomfortable and pick up some sacks. Unfortunately, UND's offense was far too dysfunctional to win the game for UND.  

17 hours ago, Irish said:

The media will never call out Bubba for fear of losing access for the inside scoops. They have a symbiotic relationship. The question is - does anyone in the Athletic Department call him on this crap?  The only ones calling BS seem to be on this board.  

There are inside scoops for UND football?

3 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

Siouxphan27 you made my day! But a few comments….

Did you assume JuiceU knows, understands, or has gonadal fortitude?? Maybe that is the issue…..

Yes, if it happened that week it needed to be addressed that week. Manipulating discipline to fit the opponent would not show gonadal fortitude and would scream a lack of integrity.

JuiceU should focus on getting porta potties and maybe drinking more water and not Juice…..and talk to that mama about discipline….WOW

Maybe some of the UND players should talk to Mama too about taking bribes, right?  Your boys are basically the Chicago Black Sox....or so I read a couple weeks ago.

Regarding discipline, it happens everywhere.  Coaches love sitting guys for bodybag games.  I don't have a problem with it. It is often amusing.

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

six games

Then Aeron Carr with 0 games. Then Izzy. 1 decent year? Then McKinney, couldn’t catch. Then Damien Owens with 0 practices.

It’s not a good track record with speed guys. We aren’t going deep into the playoffs without at least one reliable speed guy at wr.

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

Then Aeron Carr with 0 games. Then Izzy. 1 decent year? Then McKinney, couldn’t catch. Then Damien Owens with 0 practices.

It’s not a good track record with speed guys. We aren’t going deep into the playoffs without at least one reliable speed guy at wr.

totally forgot about izzy??????

The media will never call out Bubba for fear of losing access for the inside scoops. They have a symbiotic relationship. The question is - does anyone in the Athletic Department call him on this crap?  The only ones calling BS seem to be on this board.  

Let’s go Brandon, at least he takes questions 

• Like 2

Tom Miller has been critical in the past. And I don't think he's been hesitant to point out the self-inflicted mistakes that everyone has been able to see this season.

Just curious what "crap" you'd like the athletic department to "call him on"? Is the Athletic Director supposed to have a 4 hour film session weekly with the coach and go over all the incorrect calls that are made? Even the experts on this board can't agree on half the things that go wrong or how they should be fixed.

No one is happy to lose to USD. Big chance to right the ship against the #4 team in the country on Saturday, hoping they can regroup and get it done.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

This is probably just an oversight by me but I didn’t realize Owens was no longer with the team. 

50 minutes ago, JackJD said:

I'm sure we can agree on many topics. For example, we should be able to agree that your refrigerator should work as intended and your beer is cold. . 

No reason SDSU should have dropped that far in the rankings. Literally lost on one play that was going for the win. You guys should stomp NDSU. Don’t pull a Gophers and choke!

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Don’t you have something better to do than be on this board or don’t you have any friends…..:

I get it. You are sad. I would be too if my guys were getting bribed... against a rival no less. 

Loyalty ain't what it used to be. 

5 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I get it. You are sad. I would be too if my guys were getting bribed... against a rival no less. 

Loyalty ain't what it used to be. 

what are these bribes you're talking about?   feel free to PM if you don't want to post it publicly.  

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

what are these bribes you're talking about?   feel free to PM if you don't want to post it publicly.  

On 10/3/2021 at 3:20 PM, Mama Sue said:

I am not as technical and knowledgeable as most here. But if I can see a play and question it, then I know it is obvious. I will NOT mention names or games….but at one point I said to myself “that kid was paid off.”  There is no doubt in my mind that these things can happen in sports. Not to coaches…..
Let’s just leave this 4th down for what it is. We can’t go back snd hind sight is 20/20. But it isn’t like we have had 2 years of converting on 4th downs either.