SiouxSports.com Forum

Game Day - UND at USD. 10/09/21

SiouxFan100

8 hours ago, iramurphy said:

He as had talent at QB. I believe Feeney has that ability. 

We all must believe that, and hopefully see it become reality, or else …

2021 true freshman season would be asking a lot from him, and he would lose his redshirt, so 2022 would be the target season to see what he can do.  

2021 it is either Schuster or Quincy Vaughn. 

7 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Fixed your post.

UND needs to improve at both QB and offensive line. Discouraging since most recent changes to offense per Bubba was hiring new offensive coordinator (Freund) and offensive line coach (Pawlak) in 2018. Results thus far have been only average. 

I think Tommy or any QB is going to be as good as the OL allows.

Babak is new to C. How many times did the timing of a play get disrupted bc of a high snap. That's an extra second or so to get the ball to Otis or find a received, and with a relatively porous line that second means a lot.

Any word on Lotusz? He was the top C in the fall.

And all of those calling for heads, how many players are gone to the transfer list as soon as that happens?  Then you have another 3-5 years of a rebuild at which point the same chorus cries out for a new Coach. Rinse/repeat.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND needs to improve at both QB and offensive line. Discouraging since most recent changes to offense per Bubba was hiring new offensive coordinator (Freund) and offensive line coach (Pawlak) in 2018. Results thus far have been only average. 

Pawlak is an excellent addition. Danny should be ok. Not sure what happened yesterday, but we obviously need to get better fast. I know where the buck stops but we aren’t good enough to have mental errors, missed assignments, missed tackles. We knew we were missing some oline pieces. Let’s see if these guys can respond. Staff and players. Nothing we can do now about last two games. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, shep said:

I think Tommy or any QB is going to be as good as the OL allows.

Babak is new to C. How many times did the timing of a play get disrupted bc of a high snap. That's an extra second or so to get the ball to Otis or find a received, and with a relatively porous line that second means a lot.

Any word on Lotusz? He was the top C in the fall.

And all of those calling for heads, how many players are gone to the transfer list as soon as that happens?  Then you have another 3-5 years of a rebuild at which point the same chorus cries out for a new Coach. Rinse/repeat.

There will be players in the transfer portal this year again wether it’s bubba as coach or not

some because of lack of playing time

some because they think they are fbs caliber 

some because of,the current coaches

Going to happen every year

fans are frustrated because we just can’t seem to get to that next level, that’s why all the complaints

23 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Pawlak is an excellent addition. Danny should be ok. Not sure what happened yesterday, but we obviously need to get better fast. I know where the buck stops but we aren’t good enough to have mental errors, missed assignments, missed tackles. We knew we were missing some oline pieces. Let’s see if these guys can respond. Staff and players. Nothing we can do now about last two games. 

As they say, you are what your record says you are. UND is a losing football team, 2-3 overall, 0-2 in conference. 

Great people within coaching staff, for sure, but need to produce as per record. I attended game. Lackluster performance, no motivation or leadership. Perhaps letdown after NDSU game? Talked about all week, and looked to become reality.  The last two games were conference games; the way the line looks and the mental fortitude of the team during these games should be weighed the most. 

On to Southern Illinois; improvements must be made schematically and mentally. Close consideration to personnel change (e.g., QB) as well. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

We all must believe that, and hopefully see it become reality, or else …

2021 true freshman season would be asking a lot from him, and he would lose his redshirt, so 2022 would be the target season to see what he can do.  

2021 it is either Schuster or Quincy Vaughn. 

If this side continues I think you play feeney the last 3 Games so he doesn’t lose his red shirt and gets experience

in fall camp let them battle it out, if schuster wins it our stable of QBs is bad 

16 minutes ago, Kab said:

If this side continues I think you play feeney the last 3 Games so he doesn’t lose his red shirt and gets experience

in fall camp let them battle it out, if schuster wins it our stable of QBs is bad 

Forget about all the redshirt talk.  Even before the portal, how many guys actually make it to a 5th year?

its a new day in college football . Play the best players now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND needs to improve at both QB and offensive line.

Schuster has shown that he can make plays with protection from the offensive line. OL is the source of the current run of difficulties, along with the defensive secondary against Utah State. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TBR said:

Schuster has shown that he can make plays with protection from the offensive line. OL is the source of the current run of difficulties, along with the defensive secondary against Utah State. 

disagree to a degree; even in the spring, when the running game was shutdown (NDSU, JMU), Schuster couldn’t carry the team. 

Offensive line must improve,  but good QBs cover up offensive line deficiencies. To ask for the OL to improve while tolerating mediocre QB play is backwards. 

See my previous post on settling for “adequate” quarterbacks. That’s not the way the game is played currently; QB is too important to team’s success or lack thereof. 

nonetheless, both areas (OL,QB) need to improve 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Forget about all the redshirt talk.  Even before the portal, how many guys actually make it to a 5th year?

its a new day in college football . Play the best players now.

I agree, in my day everyone graduated in 4 years, at most 4 1/2 if you changed majors, I can’t imagine going 5 to 6 years to play sports And end up with a degree in university studies, each to our own

33 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

disagree to a degree; even in the spring, when the running game was shutdown (NDSU, JMU), Schuster couldn’t carry the team. 

Offensive line must improve,  but good QBs cover up offensive line deficiencies. To ask for the OL to improve while tolerating mediocre QB play is backwards. 

See my previous post on settling for “adequate” quarterbacks. That’s not the way the game is played currently; QB is too important to team’s success or lack thereof. 

Do you see alot of QB that can carry their team without a running game?  I don't 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I have a lot to critique but there is so much bitching that It's not as enjoyable as usual to type it out, so I'll keep it short.  Coaching staff needs to run some designed QB runs with no options for Tommy to throw.  Force him to run and maybe he learns he doesn't need to play afraid.  Also give him a chance to throw some more deep balls.  He has thrown good deep balls when he has attemped them.   Maybe we should only play one big receiver at a time?  Our O-line is terrible and wasn't that great last spring either, which is partly the reason for so many short passing plays.  Don't know how people can be ripping Otis so much when his first contact is usually before he make it to the line of scrimmage.  Can we get a new strength coach yet?  WHY IS OUR LINE ALWAYS SO SMALL!!!!!!!!!!!

I want aware that our OL was small this year. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Do you see alot of QB that can carry their team without a running game?  I don't 

A dynamic QB(5-10 called runs and scrambles a game), changes what the defense can and can't do.  We have a QB right now that makes his first read and hits that receiver if he is open, usually within 15 yards of LOS unless the receiver is wide open.

The offensive production(not counting Drake) has been beyond bad during the second half of the last 3 games.  This is the same pattern from the last several games of the spring season.

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Key drive yesterday was in 2nd quarter.  Defense has adjust the offense has a good drive, USD leads 10-7.  Defense forces a punt and the punt is blocked.  Offense takes over at the USD 33 yard line.  We score a TD at that moment and UND wins going away.  Instead, incomplete pass to Richter in end zone, Otis for 4 yards and Tommy is sacked.  An average QB doesn't take that sack, we had the ball at USD 29.   

Can we stop all the talk that Tommy has a weak arm, won't run, can't read defenses, can't see over the line..... but he doesn't make mistakes and is a "Winner".  

If Quincy and Feeney don't have more potential than Tommy, then we need to completely re-evaluate QB recruiting.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I see a ton of QBs that ARE the running game. Offensive line always a factor, but don’t act like offenses around the country don’t rely some or a lot on the QB running game, which is absent at UND currently 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Marcus Hendrickson was the last one.

Quite a few awards? How many years in the league? Damn, he was an amazing all-conference type guy for UND…

alright, alright, I shouldn’t be so harsh; but really? Hendrickson? That mini-2012 run was a fluke, not the norm, or else he would’ve been a 4 year starter. Heck, he couldn’t even finish out the 2012 season as the starter 

Next question/answer …

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Quite a few awards? How many years in the league? Damn, he was an amazing all-conference type guy for UND…

alright, alright, I shouldn’t be so harsh; but really? Hendrickson? That mini-2012 run was a fluke, not the norm, or else he would’ve been a 4 year starter. Heck, he couldn’t even finish out the 2012 season as the starter 

Next question/answer …

Thing is, you don’t know what you’re talking about here. The guy had wheels and an NFL caliber arm. Immaturity issues, not lack of talent, are what made his time at UND a spectacular blip on the radar. Go back and watch his game against San Diego St. He was dominant that game. Muss felt obligated to play the FBS transfer but our offense was better with Marcus. I could go on about this topic but I won’t waste my time.

• Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I see a ton of QBs that ARE the running game. Offensive line always a factor, but don’t act like offenses around the country don’t rely some or a lot on the QB running game, which is absent at UND currently 

That's not what you said.  Completely different topic.  I want to know what QB's are carrying their teams when the running game is shut down. 

• Downvote 1

Talking about leaders, look at some of the past

digger, he always played hard and was vocal

a defensive player by the name of Hendrickson, he was probably one of the most excitable players I’ve ever watched, he flew around like there was no tomorrow

this team seems to be ho-hum, the most excitement I’ve seen was backup players when we played drake 

• Upvote 3