SiouxSports.com Forum

Missouri State vs UND 4/24/21 1st Round Playoff Game

SiouxFan100

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I wonder what the All Canadian Benedict Arnold Team looks like for UND.  I remember a bunch, but would have to look up some names.

That LB.... Olson? He had good film. That team is deeper than I would like. I don’t remember this being a problem with our Canadian guys back in the day.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

That LB.... Olson? He had good film. That team is deeper than I would like. I don’t remember this being a problem with our Canadian guys back in the day.

There is another OL before Rain, too.

We didn't get many guys in or out with transfers at all.....but 20+ years ago.  No concussion protocol, and 2-a-day practices every day in the fall.  And we turned out just fine.:D 

16 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

We didn't get many guys in or out with transfers at all.....but 20+ years ago.  No concussion protocol, and 2-a-day practices every day in the fall.  And we turned out just fine.:D 

Zack Williams. Current 6’5” 327 OL for the Calgary Stampeders. Same class as the Grady Train. Those were supposed to be our bookends for the future.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Some of my favorite players in the past were Canucks.  You had Scotty Schultz, Donovan Alexander, The Manitoba Moose, Bamba.  Although Bamba didn't last a very long time.    

23 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Dr Death aka Dave Fennell

1 hour ago, FlinFlan80 said:

If he lands at a real FBS school (Power 5) I'll be shocked. First of all, you can't tell me him quitting the week of a playoff game wont be red flags for any team thinking about offering him. Second of all, he is good, but its not like he is a future NFL guy. My prediction: He ends up at another FCS or back in canada.

I'm guessing he wouldn't be transferring if there wasn't another "better" opportunity for him already lined up.  These new transfer rules are really going to hurt FCS teams as well as lower D1 teams in all other sports.  If you excel in FCS football or D1 in a non-power 5 conference you will probably have a chance to go to a power five team or, at least a better program, as a transfer.  It's going to be tough for UND, NDSU, etc for all sports. Lone exception would be UND hockey as they are top dog at any level of college and have already snatched up 4 studs from the transfer portal for next year.  The rich will get richer, the poor will get poorer and as a result, the level of play between the big dogs and mid level dogs will increasingly become a lot wider.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ksixpack said:

I'm guessing he wouldn't be transferring if there wasn't another "better" opportunity for him already lined up.  These new transfer rules are really going to hurt FCS teams as well as lower D1 teams in all other sports.  If you excel in FCS football or D1 in a non-power 5 conference you will probably have a chance to go to a power five team or, at least a better program, as a transfer.  It's going to be tough for UND, NDSU, etc for all sports. Lone exception would be UND hockey as they are top dog at any level of college and have already snatched up 4 studs from the transfer portal for next year.  The rich will get richer, the poor will get poorer and as a result, the level of play between the big dogs and mid level dogs will increasingly become a lot wider.

Recruiting kids with the right mentality is more important than ever.

As a UND fan I appreciated the way he played.  He will be missed as running the ball will be our key to having any sort of playoff run.  30 days in between games gives a lot of opportunities for players to have a lot of conversations.  Next man up and let’s see what we have.  

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

Unfortunately, its bound to become the norm going forward just like free agency in pro sports.  Kids are recruited at age 16-18; they develop different and when they become age 19-21 some D1 guys never fulfilled the potential for that level and some D2 guys may have blossomed into a higher level.  The new transfer portal rules will be a barometer to balance the talent out again...guys at higher levels that cannot get on the field, court, etc will transfer down a level and guys that are excelling at lower levels will transfer up to a higher level of play.  I believe UND football has some D2 guys that transferred that are helping the team this year but a kid that is excelling like Hergel may opt up to a higher level.  Like it or not, this will be the norm going forward.

I am not against the transferring rule but now were getting transferring in the middle of season even in professional sports free agency happens after the season. I think there should be penalty for doing this when the season is in play the school that provided scholarship and position for you have invested time and money in exchange for you playing and now you transfer in my mind it totally wrong. If this going to be case then the schools should be able pull players scholarship in mid year too if were going to have open recruiting in midseason which i am totally against. I think if you transfer or quit in season then you should have to sit for a season before you can play at another school or why have any rules for scholarships. This is not teaching young adults any values or that your word means something this is all about me mentality. He's not only letting down the coaches, school, but all of his teammates who have put forth this effort to be able compete for championship how do ever face these people again and look them eye feel good about yourself. that's my feelings on this.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

I am not against the transferring rule but now were getting transferring in the middle of season even in professional sports free agency happens after the season. I think there should be penalty for doing this when the season is in play the school that provided scholarship and position for you have invested time and money in exchange for you playing and now you transfer in my mind it totally wrong. If this going to be case then the schools should be able pull players scholarship in mid year too if were going to have open recruiting in midseason which i am totally against. I think if you transfer or quit in season then you should have to sit for a season before you can play at another school or why have any rules for scholarships. This is not teaching young adults any values or that your word means something this is all about me mentality. He's not only letting down the coaches, school, but all of his teammates who have put forth this effort to be able compete for championship how do ever face these people again and look them eye feel good about yourself. that's my feelings on this.

I hear ya but remember we are playing football in late April this year...this is highly unusual and we are the only level playing right now. I don’t suspect there will be any future April football playoff games that will collide with May transfer deadlines.

Is there any mention anywhere when or if Bubba and the team knew he was transferring? Since we haven't been playing, he could've let them know awhile ago and is just releasing it. Or maybe it's mutual? Either way, he was fun to watch, but next man up. Let's finally get that monkey off our backs and get a W Saturday.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Some of my favorite players in the past were Canucks.  You had Scotty Schultz, Donovan Alexander, The Manitoba Moose, Bamba.  Although Bamba didn't last a very long time.    

In 80's we had big pipeline with the Blue Bombers having regional rights to players and a lot of them came to UND.

Milson Jones, John Ulmer, Jeff Jauch, Robson brothers, Stan Mikawos

19 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

Is there any mention anywhere when or if Bubba and the team knew he was transferring? Since we haven't been playing, he could've let them know awhile ago and is just releasing it. Or maybe it's mutual? Either way, he was fun to watch, but next man up. Let's finally get that monkey off our backs and get a W Saturday.

The school has to enter his name in the portal within 48 hours of the written request. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

Found out today I believe 

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Hopefully this year gives us more momentum in recruiting local kids that could help minimize the number of situations like this that arise, but yeah, the mentality will still be a factor, even with local talent.

12 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

In 80's we had big pipeline with the Blue Bombers having regional rights to players and a lot of them came to UND.

Milson Jones, John Ulmer, Jeff Jauch, Robson brothers, Stan Mikawos

Lorin McCasin, Neville Scarlett, Kevin Robson, Paul Sedin, Tim Prinsen, Dallas Rysaavy, Darcy Dahlem- all from canada and stuck it out. 

• Upvote 1