SiouxSports.com Forum

Missouri State vs UND 4/24/21 1st Round Playoff Game

SiouxFan100

I like reading other team's beat writers assessments of us. https://www.news-leader.com/sports/

Pretty good write-up today in the Springfield paper, though I was surprised at this part. After watching the Bears against Youngstown, I had the opposite impression:

UND's defense has been average

Missouri State's biggest advantage heading into Saturday is that it will have the better defense on the field. It's just a matter of if it can slow down one of the better offenses in the nation and if the Bears' improving offense can take advantage.

North Dakota has a defense that has been in the middle of the pack among FCS teams all season. 

The Fighting Hawks allow 20.6 points and 374.8 yards per game. Their worst game was their most recent game when they allowed 34 points to North Dakota State when it allowed 316 rushing yards and 456 total.

UND has struggled to get off the field on third down while allowing teams to convert on 42.9 percent of third-down conversions. Its red zone defense ranks 89th out of 91 FCS teams with a conversion percentage of 92.9.

Petrino anticipates North Dakota trying to blitz a lot. The Fighting Hawks have 14 sacks this season.

"We're going to have to handle their defensive pressure," Petrino said. "More than anyone else that we've played all year long."

Based on the passing yards the Bears have allowed, or the 270 rushing yards allowed at home vs. NDSU, I'd say our defense is right up there with them.

I think Tommy can have a huge game against these guys.  I wasn't overly impressed with Camp from USD, and he put up almost 340 yards passing against them. 

According to their message board they don't seem to worried about this game. Corners are so good they won't need help. Fans on this site are in full meltdown over Hergal leaving. UND throws those "Silly" 3 yard routes that don't do much. 

5 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

According to their message board they don't seem to worried about this game. Corners are so good they won't need help. Fans on this site are in full meltdown over Hergal leaving. UND throws those "Silly" 3 yard routes that don't do much. 

I hope this is the belief of their team as well. As a coach, when a team like UND has shown no real tendencies and spread the ball out to so many different dudes, how do you not worry? Plus, when we go Maeg, Ritcher, Zavalney, that's some serious size of pass catchers as well. I didn't even mention Otis and Skok.....

8 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

You’re referencing post by LakesBison lol. He’s such a loser

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Youngstown State vs #15 Missouri State Highlights | FCS 2021 Spring College Football Highlights - YouTube

Some thoughts after watching

MSU didn't score until a minute left in half against a 1-5 YSU team. Slow start just like UND usually has.

YSU executed terribly on a trick play in the 4th. Were down 21-10 at that time.

If Johnson starts he's going to be moving a lot in and out of the pocket. Designed runs and tuck and runs with him. UND needs to contain him and watch the play actions (two passing TD's were play action.)

Took a look at that Mo State and Youngstown game, it looked like the Youngstown RB could've housed it 6 times, but didn't hit the hole fast enough or couldn't break an arm tackle. If Otis has even a halfway decent game, he has 3 touchdowns. 

The corners do love playing up on the line, so we will need to pass the ball down the field a bit more than we have. 

Besides that, keep their QB in the pocket and keep ours upright, I think we'll cover the spread on this one, win by more than a TD. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

You’re referencing post by LakesBison lol. He’s such a loser

He sure is obsessed with UND for thinking they are not even close to being a rival or a threat to being there best team in ND....... but he goes on UND’s opponent message board to tear them down with his superior knowledge.

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

Anyone hear anything on the game? Hopefully I am just reading too much into this with all the bad luck we’ve had. 

Knowing absolutely nothing other than he's a very tough human being and good role model, I wouldn't think this is necessary anything related to the game on Saturday...

Doesn't seem like he would be the one the "break it to us"

7 hours ago, SkoHawks said:

Knowing absolutely nothing other than he's a very tough human being and good role model, I wouldn't think this is necessary anything related to the game on Saturday...

Doesn't seem like he would be the one the "break it to us"

Good point. 

10 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Anyone hear anything on the game? Hopefully I am just reading too much into this with all the bad luck we’ve had. 

We'll wait for an announcement, I guess - or else he was out of town and just now heard about Hergal. Who - by the way - was pretty much a punk. A talented punk without question, but a punk nonetheless. Many knew this, and his latest actions proved it to everyone else. I'm not sad.

To the contrary, I'm jacked that we get a home playoff game. Libations in hand, the wife by my side cheering on our favorite team, and comfortable indoor football on a crappy weather Saturday. A victory will be icing on a delicious cake. One game gets another - Go Sioux - errr - Hawks!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, airmail said:

We'll wait for an announcement, I guess - or else he was out of town and just now heard about Hergal. Who - by the way - was pretty much a punk. A talented punk without question, but a punk nonetheless. Many knew this, and his latest actions proved it to everyone else. I'm not sad.

To the contrary, I'm jacked that we get a home playoff game. Libations in hand, the wife by my side cheering on our favorite team, and comfortable indoor football on a crappy weather Saturday. A victory will be icing on a delicious cake. One game gets another - Go Sioux - errr - Hawks!

Addition by subtraction.

• Upvote 1

On 4/20/2021 at 10:16 AM, FlinFlan80 said:

It's like having a good solid girlfriend and leaving her for someone and saying, "Hey no hard feelings, but I'm leaving ya." 

Both are some of the most talented players to come through the programs, but at they end of the day they both said peace out to the Dakotas. If you promote it's like saying, "It's ok if you come for a year or two, ball out, and then leave." Unless it's for the league, I don't like anyone leaving for another school.

To be fair to Kenny, he was loyal to the coaching staff that recruited him. I think he would have stayed if the staff hadn't been gutted.

• Upvote 1