SiouxSports.com Forum

Missouri State vs UND 4/24/21 1st Round Playoff Game

SiouxFan100

Since his intentions are to transfer, I'm very happy he did it now. Get reps for the new starter.

Can someone else confirm the if transferring to FBS they need to be enrolled by May? If true that's actually really nice. At least then you know you won't be losing any other starters who don't jump before then.

I know it isn't mandatory, but I would guess 99.9% of coaches who have players who enter the portal say "See ya never." To the transferee. The only case I didn't get that sense was Thome (UND Hockey) when Scheel went pro I legit had the feeling Thome was going to pull his name out of the portal

interesting point made by a buddy of mine....If any one of the 50k people at the Texas Rangers game a couple weeks ago would've died of/with the Rona wouldn't that have made national news (especially by the leftys)...plus before that iirc the NDAC/UND game was the biggest gathering in america in a year...does anyone know if anyone at that game died with/of the Rona after going to that game (indoors no less!!!!!!!)?

so....why only 3k this saturday mr burgum?

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

interesting point made by a buddy of mine....If any one of the 50k people at the Texas Rangers game a couple weeks ago would've died of/with the Rona wouldn't that have made national news (especially by the leftys)...plus before that iirc the NDAC/UND game was the biggest gathering in america in a year...does anyone know if anyone at that game died with/of the Rona after going to that game (indoors no less!!!!!!!)?

It isn't Burgum, it is my understanding that it is an NCAA policy. 

This might be me just assuaging myself due to the loss, because Hergel was an absolute mauler with a lower center of gravity, BUT I actually like Lavelle's upside (don't know about his intangibles yet) better.  And nice to get him some playoff reps before next fall.

EDIT: Looks like Bubba is eyeing Kilty, per Tom Miller.

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I was terribly sick, but it had nothing to do with Covid.

Started feeling really ill in the 3rd quarter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

This might be me just assuaging myself due to the loss, because Hergel was an absolute mauler with a lower center of gravity, BUT I actually like Lavelle's upside (don't know about his intangibles yet) better.  And nice to get him some playoff reps before next fall.

EDIT: Looks like Bubba is eyeing Kilty, per Tom Miller.

Looking at this from a "glass half full" perspective, it is nice to have some kind of depth at the spot. In the past this would have hurt a lot more.....

- I love the "next man up, we got this" positivity from Holm and Tobin in Tom Miller's article, but Hergel's loss is a big deal. No other way around it. Offensive lines are about teamwork more than any other position group on the field and losing him now throws everything off.

- We can argue about who is the best lineman on the team, but the fact that it's close shows how good this unit has been, and how substantial losing Hergel is.

- Teeder, I love your optimism on Lavelle. I hope you're right about his upside. But there is no way that he or Kilty or anyone would have beaten out Hergel, no matter his upside, anytime over the next two years. Hergel is a hell of a player. Lavelle or Kilty would have slid into Tobin's spot next season after he graduated.

- During a couple of games I kept wanting the Hawks to put in the second team OL earlier in the fourth quarter to get them more reps. I wish they had.

4 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

- I love the "next man up, we got this" positivity from Holm and Tobin in Tom Miller's article, but Hergel's loss is a big deal. No other way around it. Offensive lines are about teamwork more than any other position group on the field and losing him now throws everything off.

- We can argue about who is the best lineman on the team, but the fact that it's close shows how good this unit has been, and how substantial losing Hergel is.

- Teeder, I love your optimism on Lavelle. I hope you're right about his upside. But there is no way that he or Kilty or anyone would have beaten out Hergel, no matter his upside, anytime over the next two years. Hergel is a hell of a player. Lavelle or Kilty would have slid into Tobin's spot next season after he graduated.

- During a couple of games I kept wanting the Hawks to put in the second team OL earlier in the fourth quarter to get them more reps. I wish they had.

Edit to say that I still believe that UND can and will win this Saturday. And it helps a ton that there are 4 veterans surrounding the new guy.

13 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Totally agree. My upside comment is about his future potential, not the here and now. Got to play the players you got, obviously... and it appears one of our now former linemen's mind was elsewhere anyway. 

I'm taking a very simplistic look at this. This might be the wrong thread for this conversation, but we have the now and the Fall. The now, of course they won't be better without Hergel, but I think they'll be fine. You surround Kilty (who has received rave reviews) with four veterans. This wasn't a unit that struggled this Spring, they've been so good. I'm fired up to see what Kilty brings. Expectations for Saturday have not changed at all.

Looking ahead to the fall. They have a lot of things going for them (1) Everyone can comeback. I'm not sure what Tobin or Nguon's plans are (2) O-Line Coach (3) Young talent. 

If he lands at a real FBS school (Power 5) I'll be shocked. First of all, you can't tell me him quitting the week of a playoff game wont be red flags for any team thinking about offering him. Second of all, he is good, but its not like he is a future NFL guy. My prediction: He ends up at another FCS or back in canada.

2 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

If he lands at a real FBS school (Power 5) I'll be shocked. First of all, you can't tell me him quitting the week of a playoff game wont be red flags for any team thinking about offering him. Second of all, he is good, but its not like he is a future NFL guy. My prediction: He ends up at another FCS or back in canada.

Lined up next to ol Rain Slater for the Manitoba Bisons

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2