SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 football season

Nodak78

11 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

I like where we are in this poll. We have a tough schedule and need to prove it. This team should be 3-0 going into the game with NDSU.

1) Idaho State- We just have to show up and play our game. Shut the run down, pressure the QB and get good DB play. The corner group is the deepest it has likely ever been so time to step up.

2) Utah State- They were not good last year and are not expected to be this year. Play to win, play with an edge.

3) Drake- No response necessary. 

13 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

If we are the team that we think we are then there is no such thing as a trap game. Plus, a little extra time to prepare since USU is on a Friday night. 

I agree, a few years ago this could have been a trap game.  We are at the point now, we (fans only) shouldn't be worried about this type of game.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I agree, a few years ago this could have been a trap game.  We are at the point now, we (fans only) shouldn't be worried about this type of game.  

Completely agree. Drake is a game that UND actually can't lose. That's just how it is. Only game on the schedule like that.

2 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

That’s part of what I love about this site - there are always folks willing to unconfuse me.

Now it is my turn needing some help getting 'unconfused'.  I don't understand the year listed for some players.  If the spring season didn't count as a burned year for anybody, wouldn't guys be the same status on the Fall roster as far as year goes? 

Boltmann - He is listed as a Senior on Fall 2021 roster, he was listed as Junior on spring roster.  Spring season didn't count towards eligibility, why is he listed as Senior?

Vaugh - Listed as a Sophomore.  He was a true freshman last spring and that year didn't count, wouldn't he be a freshman this year, and technically could actually redshirt if he only played 4 games? (not that he won't play more than 4 games....just saying)

Siegal - Now listed as a Junior, but listed as Sophomore on Spring roster. 

Fort - Now Listed as a Sophomore, but was Freshman on Spring Roster. 

There are many other examples of this.  Has Boltmann already decided he is not coming back after this year so wants to be listed as a Senior? 

@Sioux94 I thought it made sense to me and for the most part it does. The extra year will always be their last. After SR, they'll be able if they chose to be 5th. RFR, SO, JR, SR, 5th. Previously, you would not have seen 5th. What doesn't make sense to me and I think it's the only thing is why any True FR last year would be listed as a Sophomore, instead of RFR. Vaughn / Belquist are the only two that don't make sense to me.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, AJS said:

@Sioux94 I thought it made sense to me and for the most part it does. The extra year will always be their last. After SR, they'll be able if they chose to be 5th. RFR, SO, JR, SR, 5th. Previously, you would not have seen 5th. What doesn't make sense to me and I think it's the only thing is why any True FR last year would be listed as a Sophomore, instead of RFR. Vaughn / Belquist are the only two that don't make sense to me.

If that is the way they are going to do it, everyone just gets two Senior seasons if they want....that makes sense.  However in my opinion would have been less confusing if they would have been listed same on Fall roster as spring, just seems easier way to keep track of eligibility.  I guess the next four years we'll have to keep track of who gets a second Senior year if they want. 

And yes on Vaughn and Belquist, they are listed as Sophomores.  However Mitchell who was in the same recruiting class is listed as a Redshirt freshman.  Is that because he didn't play as much or what.  I dunno, just confusing overall if you ask me. 

49 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

If that is the way they are going to do it, everyone just gets two Senior seasons if they want....that makes sense.  However in my opinion would have been less confusing if they would have been listed same on Fall roster as spring, just seems easier way to keep track of eligibility.  I guess the next four years we'll have to keep track of who gets a second Senior year if they want. 

And yes on Vaughn and Belquist, they are listed as Sophomores.  However Mitchell who was in the same recruiting class is listed as a Redshirt freshman.  Is that because he didn't play as much or what.  I dunno, just confusing overall if you ask me. 

There is a note on the roster page that says: 
Note: Players are listed as though eligibility progressed normally in 2020-21. Extra seasons of eligibility due to COVID-19’s impact on the 2020-21 season will be noted when they are utilized following a player’s regular senior season.

So Vaughn and Belquist played more than 4 games, so without the free year, they would technically be sophomores as that would have been a year of eligibility used.
Mitchell only played in 2 games, so under normal circumstances, he would be a R-Fr as he stayed under the 4 game threshold.

Regardless of how they do it, it is going to be a bit of a mess but they are just going to act as if 2020/21 was not a free year and add one on for those who take and/or get the opportunity. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

There is a note on the roster page that says: 
Note: Players are listed as though eligibility progressed normally in 2020-21. Extra seasons of eligibility due to COVID-19’s impact on the 2020-21 season will be noted when they are utilized following a player’s regular senior season.

So Vaughn and Belquist played more than 4 games, so without the free year, they would technically be sophomores as that would have been a year of eligibility used.
Mitchell only played in 2 games, so under normal circumstances, he would be a R-Fr as he stayed under the 4 game threshold.

Regardless of how they do it, it is going to be a bit of a mess but they are just going to act as if 2020/21 was not a free year and add one on for those who take and/or get the opportunity. 

Thanks for the clarification and pointing that out.  I wonder if that is how other schools will be listing their players?  Guess will have to look at all of the little asterisks in detail now anytime looking at a teams roster.  If all schools are handling it the same way, at least there is some consistency.  However I'm still sticking with it would have been a helluva lot easier if they just stayed the same status as they were on Spring roster when trying to quickly see how much eligibility they have left. 

12 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Thanks for the clarification and pointing that out.  I wonder if that is how other schools will be listing their players?  Guess will have to look at all of the little asterisks in detail now anytime looking at a teams roster.  If all schools are handling it the same way, at least there is some consistency.  However I'm still sticking with it would have been a helluva lot easier if they just stayed the same status as they were on Spring roster when trying to quickly see how much eligibility they have left. 

I looked on the basketball roster for UND and they are doing a similar thing:

2021-22 Men's Basketball Roster - University of North Dakota Athletics (fightinghawks.com)

From Tom Miller's article. https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/7145977-UND-football-camp-Day-4-Jake-Richter-using-his-size-to-make-plays

Hopefully the things described below will help our offense stretch the field.

• The longest play of the day was a Schuster bomb to Maag, who ran free behind defensive backs. That's happened a couple of times already with Maag during the fall.
  • Schuster threw a perfectly placed back-shoulder throw to Maag for a big pickup during team drills.

9 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Was wondering about this as well.

Redshirt year

Covid year

Listed as a sophomore but would have 4 years left including this season?

I did just look again, and for guys like Holm and Turner that will for sure be their last year it says Fifth Year.  So I guess that helps instead of listing Senior with an asterisk or something. I presume then guys that are listed as seniors now will be listed as Fifth Year, next year.   Oh well, now I know.  I had gotten worried the other day when I saw Waletzko listed as a Senior.... I was like....wtf I thought he had another year after this.  Hopefully he dominates this year and next year, and is injury free! 

11 minutes ago, Dustin said:

From Tom Miller's article. https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/7145977-UND-football-camp-Day-4-Jake-Richter-using-his-size-to-make-plays

Hopefully the things described below will help our offense stretch the field.

• The longest play of the day was a Schuster bomb to Maag, who ran free behind defensive backs. That's happened a couple of times already with Maag during the fall.
  • Schuster threw a perfectly placed back-shoulder throw to Maag for a big pickup during team drills.

am i the only one that wishes we would stop with this back shoulder crap....hasn't worked consistently for years...

10 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

am i the only one that wishes we would stop with this back shoulder crap....hasn't worked consistently for years...

I take an opposite stance...with some of the size advantages we have at receiver I wish we'd unleash it more successfully...it's extremely difficult to stop...we just have to execute it better imo!

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, UND08 said:

I take an opposite stance...with some of the size advantages we have at receiver I wish we'd unleash it more successfully...it's extremely difficult to stop...we just have to execute it better imo!

back shoulder passes=drive killers

4 hours ago, AJS said:

Completely agree. Drake is a game that UND actually can't lose. That's just how it is. Only game on the schedule like that.

Right...just like Sioux Falls University was a few years back

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2