SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 football season

Nodak78

20 hours ago, SkoHawks said:

I think OL will be good barring multiple top line injuries. Speaking of OL depth, let's take a look.  Only 4 JR/SR on the roster and one's a transfer, how'd we get so thin? Well here's how...

17 Class- 3 scholarships OL, 0 left

18 Class- 5 sch. OL, 2 left (ventrelli/waletzko)

19 Class- 4 sch OL, 1 left (Lavell) 2 PWO (langstaff, neustel)

12 scholarships only 3 left, one unproven, but two pretty good. Imagine if that 2018 class completely missed. On the flip side, look how young we are, hopefully something to build on. 

The 17 class was a real dissapointment, frame and size were there but no athletic ability and improvement over the years. Interested to see how Pawlaks recruiting compares to the old silverback Knauf. 

8 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Gotta think it doesn’t hurt to have scouts at practice for Maag to show his skills. Never know, could potentially sign as an UDFA if he has a big season. 

Would be nice to see Maag have a bust out year this fall! 

• Like 1

Hopefully the below blurb from Millers article has more to do with an improved deep ball on our end, than the DB's being toast.  Either way good to see Schuster take some deep shots in practice so they can hopefully be in sync on this come the regular season.  Hopefully an improved deep ball can more than offset our growing pains from a younger OL. 

Looking good: In what has become a daily occurrence, Schuster hit Maag on a long bomb with Maag cruising past defenders wide open.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/7151129-UND-football-camp-Day-6-Chrysten-Cochran-makes-most-of-increased-reps

P.S. Teeder I did break down and get a subscription to all Miller's articles this preseason and season, I needed more UND football fix this year. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Hopefully the below blurb from Millers article has more to do with an improved deep ball on our end, than the DB's being toast.  Either way good to see Schuster take some deep shots in practice so they can hopefully be in sync on this come the regular season.  Hopefully an improved deep ball can more than offset our growing pains from a younger OL. 

Looking good: In what has become a daily occurrence, Schuster hit Maag on a long bomb with Maag cruising past defenders wide open.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/7151129-UND-football-camp-Day-6-Chrysten-Cochran-makes-most-of-increased-reps

P.S. Teeder I did break down and get a subscription to all Miller's articles this preseason and season, I needed more UND football fix this year. 

Miller does a good job of reporting on the football team.  He was on Hot Mic with Dom yesterday as well if you are interested link below.  I think it starts around the 45 minute mark.   

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cDovL2hvdG1pY3dpdGhkb21penpvLmZjY25uLmxpYnN5bnByby5jb20vcnNz/episode/NmUxY2U4M2EtYzFkYy00NDY0LWI2MDgtOGY0YWVjNWYxZGEz?hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwik99z1ka7yAhWZk2oFHY69APQQieUEegQIBRAF&ep=6

• Upvote 1

On 8/12/2021 at 1:20 PM, Midwestern Hawk said:

I think most positions have roughly the same attrition level.  

You would think they would, but I dug deeper. And in at least the 17-19 years no position is even close to as bad as OL. (Didn't include transfers)

DL- 8 of 12 scholarship players still here.

LB- 4 of 6 here.

S/CB- 10 of 13

RB/WR- 5 of 7

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, SkoHawks said:

You would think they would, but I dug deeper. And in at least the 17-19 years no position is even close to as bad as OL. (Didn't include transfers)

DL- 8 of 12 scholarship players still here.

LB- 4 of 6 here.

S/CB- 10 of 13

RB/WR- 5 of 7

OL has been a disaster for us for years with attrition for various reasons. We’ve brought in some absolute studs and freak things happen.

21 hours ago, Kab said:

I think he has to put in some time’

move him up and be in danger of losing 2 good QBs thru transfer 

I’d say there is a pretty good chance one of the three, Schuster, Vaughn, or Feeney will not be here in two years. In two years whoever is 3rd string will likely transfer out to get some playing time. Will be interesting to see how things play out the next year or two at QB. 

18 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I’d say there is a pretty good chance one of the three, Schuster, Vaughn, or Feeney will not be here in two years. In two years whoever is 3rd string will likely transfer out to get some playing time. Will be interesting to see how things play out the next year or two at QB. 

You are probably right but for now let's hope Schuster and Vaughn have a great year.

• Like 1