SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 football season

Nodak78

38 minutes ago, shep said:

We all are enamored with the 300 pound lineman, and I believe that Tank was better at 305 than he was at 290.

But...we have 3 guys at 290.

Plus all of them play against a few 300+ OLs in practice. 

Is 10 pounds that big a deal?

Reminds me of MLB. Batter hits 300 he's an all star; bats 290 and he's not.

Depends how you wear it, but yeah, I think 10 lbs can make a big difference, and mentioning Tank is a great example of why, unless the guy is a total freak athlete, which we probably aren't getting. We're still in a better position than we were a few years back, but if we want to solidify ourselves as a top D, we need more big guys. Look no farther than the NDSU game last year. a couple of 300 pounders that you can rotate to keep fresh, would have helped a ton in plugging up holes and slowing down the Luepke kid. Would have made a big difference against JMU too, though it was a different running style.

1 hour ago, shep said:

We all are enamored with the 300 pound lineman, and I believe that Tank was better at 305 than he was at 290.

But...we have 3 guys at 290.

Plus all of them play against a few 300+ OLs in practice. 

Is 10 pounds that big a deal?

Reminds me of MLB. Batter hits 300 he's an all star; bats 290 and he's not.

If we ran a 4-3 I would fully agree with you, but in the 3-4 the nose needs to effectively eat up two blocks on every play. I really do think an extra 10 lbs does make a difference. However, I am happy to see three guys at 290!

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

If we ran a 4-3 I would fully agree with you, but in the 3-4 the nose needs to effectively eat up two blocks on every play. I really do think an extra 10 lbs does make a difference. However, I am happy to see three guys at 290!

Beach looks like an absolute monster. Hope he can really step in and be a dude this year!

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Depends how you wear it, but yeah, I think 10 lbs can make a big difference, and mentioning Tank is a great example of why, unless the guy is a total freak athlete, which we probably aren't getting. We're still in a better position than we were a few years back, but if we want to solidify ourselves as a top D, we need more big guys. Look no farther than the NDSU game last year. a couple of 300 pounders that you can rotate to keep fresh, would have helped a ton in plugging up holes and slowing down the Luepke kid. Would have made a big difference against JMU too, though it was a different running style.

Makes a difference only on paper. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I didn't compare current roster to who finished the spring - any surprise subtractions that people noticed?

Not really - I noticed some younger guys like Beau Foix, Reid Sanders, Caleb Doeden, Jack Ihry, Jacob Lindeman and Haley Bucholz (plus some others that I had known were gone through the spring).  Don't see upper classmen like Brady Leach (maybe a bit of a shock), Hayden Reynolds, Bryden Swenson or Connor Kruse.  WIth all the number switching it's hard to tell if I missed some or not.

One surprise that I didn't notice was the safety from SW Minn St - Lucas Fisher - that was coming in isn't on the roster, and looking at his twitter he said his recruitment is open as of mid-June.  Maybe it was discussed and I missed it.

10 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Not really - I noticed some younger guys like Beau Foix, Reid Sanders, Caleb Doeden, Jack Ihry, Jacob Lindeman and Haley Bucholz (plus some others that I had known were gone through the spring).  Don't see upper classmen like Brady Leach (maybe a bit of a shock), Hayden Reynolds, Bryden Swenson or Connor Kruse.  WIth all the number switching it's hard to tell if I missed some or not.

One surprise that I didn't notice was the safety from SW Minn St - Lucas Fisher - that was coming in isn't on the roster, and looking at his twitter he said his recruitment is open as of mid-June.  Maybe it was discussed and I missed it.

Thanks.  I hadn't heard Leach wasn't coming back.. I'm surprised but not completely shocked.  

31 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Wasn't Reynolds a LB that got a fair amount of PT and maybe even scored a defensive TD, or do I have him mixed up with someone else?

50 minutes ago, Hambone said:

I didn't see Greibel either. But may have missed something. Not a shocker, as Skokna appears to have PR locked down and is much better at it IMHO.

44 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Isaac Moore (D-Line) also missing. Very interested as well about Lucas Fisher. Hope it was a situation that with Canady really heading in the right direction, they didn't feel the need to bring in a one year guy.  

Roster break down.

• 5th: 8
  • Seniors: 11
  • Juniors: 19
  • Sophomores: 22
  • RS-Freshman: 20
  • Freshman: 24

12 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

bummed a bit about Hayden. He would have been great for depth that seems to be so elusive for us. Maybe McNeal will be the real deal right away.

ILB are really beefing up

• Larson: 245 (+10)
  • Krzanowski: 235 (0)
  • White: 235 (+10)
  • Pedigo: 230 (+10)
  • Kimball: 225 (+15)
  • Kelley: 230 (-5)
  • McNeal: 235 (--)

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

I didn't see Greibel either. But may have missed something. Not a shocker, as Skokna appears to have PR locked down and is much better at it IMHO.

Yeah, I missed him in my cursory glance......good catch.

Did anyone notice: 

All of the Red Shirt upperclassman were reclassified to a straight class.  I.E:  Maag and Waletzko are true seniors (played as a freshman)  Kauppinen, Jalen Johnson, Siegel, Odom (all same Class) were Rs Sophomores last year - are now listed as Juniors instead of Rs Juniors.  Same with the class below.  This would then account for their Covid year that didn't count and will have the option to be 5th year seniors (when in reality it will be their 6th year in the program)

9 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

A guy I was really excited about when he committed, but he just never did a whole lot. Without knowing where he is going or what he is doing, I wish him the best of luck ... he seemed like a hell of an athlete. I think there were some injuries along the way, and we have recruited some nice talent at the position as well. 

19 hours ago, Hambone said:

I heard he's interested in joining the Army or Navy. Wish he would have stuck it out and went after but best of luck to the young man.

19 hours ago, Hambone said:

I know a few of those guys were PWO but does this open up any additional scholarships? I would have though Kruse and Reynolds maybe? 

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

I know a few of those guys were PWO but does this open up any additional scholarships? I would have though Kruse and Reynolds maybe? 

Greibel, Moore would have been scholarship guys. Doing the easy math, you would have thought the coaching staff needing to find 8 scholarships out of players that could have come back, since they kept 8 guys that got an additional year w/ Covid.

I love the breakdown by class, very even. I'm really impressed with their roster management.