SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 football season

Nodak78

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

totally agree but trey might be one the most ready (family reasons) qb's we've had as a freshman in a long long time.

It would not surprise me if Feeney redshirts, but he could start this year, too.  Danny is an OC that could pull it off.  So I have no idea.:D

• Like 1

I'd be completely shocked if Trey was the starter this year.  Vaughn should be improved this year and pushing Schuster though, which is good.  This year I could see Vaughn getting some full series at QB if he is looking really good.  Schuster has proven what he can do in an actual game, the only way to know what Vaughn really has is see him in meaningful situations in a game. I'd be completely shocked if Trey comes in and beats both of them out as a true freshman.  Definitely hope he gets in for four games though so we can see some of him this year. It think Trey would have to be significantly right now for them to start a true freshman over a first team preseason all conference QB. 

• Like 1

I think Tom Miller’s report covered it pretty well. Not really anything I would  have written that he didn’t have already. 

QBs rankings today IMHO:

1. Quincy

1a. Schuster

3. Trey

4. Romfo

Distant 5. Postler 

Young QBs heads are swimming right now.  Trey looks the part; he will be really really good some day.

Another note: OL looking good early. Love how we have become more plug and play with lots of ready young talent, under Pawlak.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I think Tom Miller’s report covered it pretty well. Not really anything I would  have written that he didn’t have already. 

QBs rankings today IMHO:

1. Quincy

1a. Schuster

3. Trey

4. Romfo

Distant 5. Postler 

Young QBs heads are swimming right now.  Trey looks the part; he will be really really good some day.

Another note: OL looking good early. Love how we have become more plug and play with lots of ready young talent, under Pawlak.

Might be a dumb question, but do Boltmann and Belquist look 100%? I would assume they wouldn’t be practicing if they weren’t. 

With Vaughns improvement and running ability.....wonder if the Brockstar will be dwindled down even if he is healthy.  I think Danny will still probably get Brock in there for some gadget plays and stuff though.  Gotta love that defenses actually have to stress a little bit with our offense now. Just gotta improve on the deep ball some, and hopefully that will happen this year. 

45 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Got a chance to go to practice today. Here were some of the main things I noticed:

1. Tommy Schuster is going to be the starter this year. Other QB’s on roster are good, but Tommy looks the best. 

2. Trey looks like he’s going to be good, but man he looks so small out there. Even shorter than Tommy!!  

3. Continuing with QB’s, I was really impressed with Romfo. Throws a great ball. Especially deep ball. Our depth at QB is the deepest We have had in years. Will be interesting to see how they use Quincy this year as well. 

4.  Boltman is as close to 100% as he has probably been in a long time. I think he starts week one. No question. 

5.  Waletzko is a beast. He is so big and so strong and so goon. Definitely deserving of his preseason accolades. 

6.  Stating the obvious, but Otis is a stud. Kid has tree trunks for legs!!  So strong and so fast. And he is having the most fun out of any guy out there. He’s gonna be fun to watch. (Side note, also a really nice guy. My son really wanted to meet him after and he was nice enough to talk to him and take a picture. My son definitely has a new favorite player)

I think you have Romfo confused for Feeney. Feeney is clearly taller than both Tommy and Romfo. 

First, I have to encourage everyone to check out Herald sportswriter Tom Miller's daily practice logs from Memorial Stadium. They are excellent, such as today's piece on Jack Wright, and they, alone, are worth the modest price of admission for a subscription to get the inside daily scoop. Look for more stories like that in the future... including one on stellar Offensive Tackle Matt Waletzko and his road from Cold Springs, Minn. (Rocori) to UND.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/7144713-UND-football-fall-camp-Day-3-Jack-Wright-starts-to-carve-a-role-following-injury#.YRAH04rKWDM.twitter

Thoughts from today:

1. Red shirt freshman WR Jack Wright has good hands... that's not a news flash as he is considered one of the best H.S. receivers ever. I have also been mildly surprised by by his quicks after he catches the ball. He's like a bit bigger version of Josh Seibel.

2. Freshman WR Nate DeMontagnac was good early in catching drills but struggled a bit later on 11-11 with difficult low balls. He looks the part early but will need time to season.

3. New Freshman WR Owens still not practicing with the team, though he's on the field, eagerly helping out coaches with drills.

3. The aforementioned Waletzko is an absolute stud. Best next-level prospect since Chris Kuper IMHO. Should be getting visits to Memorial Stadium from NFL scouts soon.

4. Maag and Chrysten Cochrane had the bulk of the nice grabs (Wright was active too) during skelly type and 11-11 drills. Feeney and Vaughn both hit CC on perfectly placed out routes. Vaughn also connected with Maag on a nice out route.

5. OL #1s continue to be the law firm of Walezko, Lavell, Lotysz, Kilty and Ventrelli.  Lotysz is at center, with Fenton, Neustel and the Portland State transfer backing up that spot.

6. Defense, as a whole, had noticeably nice pursuit to the ball today, especially on screen pass scenarios.

7. Boltmann and Bequist seem to be coming along but no one is rushing their progress. Belquist looked especially fine running routes and cuts on non-contact drills.

Remember give Tom Miller's articles a click!

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

With Vaughns improvement and running ability.....wonder if the Brockstar will be dwindled down even if he is healthy.  I think Danny will still probably get Brock in there for some gadget plays and stuff though.  Gotta love that defenses actually have to stress a little bit with our offense now. Just gotta improve on the deep ball some, and hopefully that will happen this year. 

I think that Vaughn and Brock on the field at the same time would create more options for both players.

1 hour ago, FSSD said:

I think that Vaughn and Brock on the field at the same time would create more options for both players.

Does Brock need to be only a gadget player guy or can we just use him as a straight up WR? I think he can be used as both. WR’s are deep, maybe our deep threat can emerge?

Only caught a bit this morning but one thing that stuck out in some of the individual drills, and I'm not positive I saw it correctly, but it sure looked like Vaughn-Jones was really showing his motor practicing his edge rush. Since he's listed as a DB, I could be wrong, but it's possible they are giving him some reps at OLB which would be interesting with his speed.

On 8/7/2021 at 2:14 PM, Sioux94 said:

I think Danny may expand his trick plays a bit with Brock back.

4 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Does Brock need to be only a gadget player guy or can we just use him as a straight up WR? I think he can be used as both. WR’s are deep, maybe our deep threat can emerge?

Oh I'm pretty sure he will be in quite a bit as just a WR, he is a very good WR. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Only caught a bit this morning but one thing that stuck out in some of the individual drills, and I'm not positive I saw it correctly, but it sure looked like Vaughn-Jones was really showing his motor practicing his edge rush. Since he's listed as a DB, I could be wrong, but it's possible they are giving him some reps at OLB which would be interesting with his speed.

You weren’t seeing things. You are correct. I saw it too and commented about it to  the guys I was standing with. Very interesting. 

I also noticed MVJ has some nice size to go with his speed.  Could be a nice positional fit.

14 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Had to look up this kid on the roster because I wasn't even sure who he was.  I don't really recall anyone writing his name on here before (except for the recruiting thread, I suppose.  I didn't go back to look.)  Roster says he is a junior, so was he not used much last season?

26 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Had to look up this kid on the roster because I wasn't even sure who he was.  I don't really recall anyone writing his name on here before (except for the recruiting thread, I suppose.  I didn't go back to look.)  Roster says he is a junior, so was he not used much last season?

I believe he's mostly played special team.  I want to think they moved him to LB a couple years ago and moved him back to safety again.  I think that he could have potential to be a servicable OLB.