SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 Early Departures

cberkas

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

I thought JBD had a bad season, personally.  Offense seemed to regress significantly and his defense wasn't what I would call "locked down."

Seriously? I watched every game and I think he was their best overall defenseman from start to finish. Apparently the coaches agreed because he was on the ice for every critical penalty kill, faceoff in the defensive zone, and was always matched up against the top lines of other teams. When they put JBD and Sanderson together for the 2nd unit, they were also lights out offensively. Sanderson is the most talented D man, and showed flashes of how talented he is, but the gap between Sanderson and JBD is much closer than the gap between JBD and Kierstad. Kierstad can be a bit scary in the D zone. I still remember him getting stripped by Koepke in the corner which led to the OT tie with UMD in the pod. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Seriously? I watched every game and I think he was their best overall defenseman from start to finish. Apparently the coaches agreed because he was on the ice for every critical penalty kill, faceoff in the defensive zone, and was always matched up against the top lines of other teams. When they put JBD and Sanderson together for the 2nd unit, they were also lights out offensively. Sanderson is the most talented D man, and showed flashes of how talented he is, but the gap between Sanderson and JBD is much closer than the gap between JBD and Kierstad. Kierstad can be a bit scary in the D zone. I still remember him getting stripped by Koepke in the corner which led to the OT tie with UMD in the pod. 

"Bad" season may have been harsh.  "Not as good as I expected from him" season.

With JBD and Jordan, could be coaching thing, if the focus more on the defensive side, they won't be as creative on the offensive side.  When watching JBD in the game vs. Duluth, he sure did a great job at commanding the groups on the ice by holding the puck to allow line changes which I thought was critical.  Not sure anyone other than maybe Sanderson who showed show much confidence during the OT's

Love this group of seniors, but (in my opinion) noone is going to stay.  They are on pace academically and/or hockeywise to move on.  Kierstad will sign somewhere soon.

JBD is going to have a nice NHL career and I think it starts this week.  He's that good.

The Sharks won't take a chance on losing Weatherby to free agency after his senior year so he's probably gone.   

Pinto was the best center in college hockey as a sophomore.  He'll move on.

Sanderson is so young. Crazy that he could have been a senior in high school and I wanted the puck on his stick Saturday night. Guessing there was some sort of agreement on two years here?

Man, this team had that special mix of draft picks and undrafted guys who just got better.  Sure enjoyed watching them.

• Upvote 4

A former player of mine got to see JBD do some power skating work this summer and said his work ethic is second to none.  Just a constant desire to get better, much like Toews.

Can't blame a kid like that who puts in 3 good years here and is ready for the next level.  Turns 21 this summer, so on the younger side, but he's ready.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hky said:

Love this group of seniors, but (in my opinion) noone is going to stay.  They are on pace academically and/or hockeywise to move on.  Kierstad will sign somewhere soon.

JBD is going to have a nice NHL career and I think it starts this week.  He's that good.

The Sharks won't take a chance on losing Weatherby to free agency after his senior year so he's probably gone.   

Pinto was the best center in college hockey as a sophomore.  He'll move on.

Sanderson is so young. Crazy that he could have been a senior in high school and I wanted the puck on his stick Saturday night. Guessing there was some sort of agreement on two years here?

Man, this team had that special mix of draft picks and undrafted guys who just got better.  Sure enjoyed watching them.

So the cupboard is almost bare? 

On 3/29/2021 at 1:55 PM, UNDBIZ said:

I thought JBD had a bad season, personally.  Offense seemed to regress significantly and his defense wasn't what I would call "locked down."

Missed the poke check that cost the season.  

• Downvote 8