SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 Early Departures

cberkas

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Guessing they grab a portal goalie too. 

Feels like they need to at least to me. Bring in someone and make it an open competition for the job. Thome has had some really solid moments but I'm not comfortable just handing him the job.

1 minute ago, cberkas said:

This is the position I feel UND has been behind on.

Karl needs to get out and recruit some goalies. 

Moe is the only Portal goalie I'd go after as of right now

So you want us to go after a guy that isn’t good enough to start for Minnesota?

2 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Feels like they need to at least to me. Bring in someone and make it an open competition for the job. Thome has had some really solid moments but I'm not comfortable just handing him the job.

Love to death the teammate and the person that he is.  I'm not totally certain he's the guy either.  

Thome....Feeney....Johnson.

We need another goalie.  

1 minute ago, cberkas said:

The word is Motzko doesn't like him

You don’t last as a coach by holding grudges.  Do we know why Motzko doesn’t like him?  Maybe his work ethic sucks, or maybe something worse.  

10 minutes ago, cberkas said:

The word is Motzko doesn't like him

I thought UND should have recruited him when he was at Holy Family

Have seen so many big misses by recruiting really young goaltenders.  I think you can wait on most goalies and see how they perform in the USHL.  We’ll see if Hedquist can figure it out at that level in the coming year or so.

Just now, tnt said:

Have seen so many big misses by recruiting really young goaltenders.  I think you can wait on most goalies and see how they perform in the USHL.  We’ll see if Hedquist can figure it out at that level in the coming year or so.

He did good at Waterloo for 2 years and he wasn't bad at his first year at Minnesota

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

I’m opposed to massive portal adds. One guy, maybe two if they aren’t the same positions, fine. But I don’t want to add a bunch of one year guys only to be stuck in the same position again next spring. 

Id rather give some of our returning guys a chance to step up. 

Agree, but it is also nice to not rush guys to college that could use another year in the USHL.  Adams struggled his first two years in college, if we wouldn’t have kept him another year in the USHL, would we only have gotten one great year out of him.  You look at teams like Mankato and St. Cloud and you see what those extra years of experience bring.  In the past we had an edge on the aforementioned teams because high end talent might have edged out experience.  Someone always surprises, but I don’t look and see major impact coming in that outweighs extra experience. Is Kunz, Bowen, or Constantini ready? If not, bring in someone that has college experience after you do your due diligence on their character.

2 hours ago, tnt said:

You don’t last as a coach by holding grudges.  Do we know why Motzko doesn’t like him?  Maybe his work ethic sucks, or maybe something worse.  

Idk, I heard a rumor while I was a student that Hakstol ultimately went with Dell over Eidness because of a grudge. Not sure if it's true or not, rumors being rumors and all. 

1 hour ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Idk, I heard a rumor while I was a student that Hakstol ultimately went with Dell over Eidness because of a grudge. Not sure if it's true or not, rumors being rumors and all. 

Dell was just flat out better. Eids was definitely well loved in that locker room.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, tnt said:

Agree, but it is also nice to not rush guys to college that could use another year in the USHL.  Adams struggled his first two years in college, if we wouldn’t have kept him another year in the USHL, would we only have gotten one great year out of him.  You look at teams like Mankato and St. Cloud and you see what those extra years of experience bring.  In the past we had an edge on the aforementioned teams because high end talent might have edged out experience.  Someone always surprises, but I don’t look and see major impact coming in that outweighs extra experience. Is Kunz, Bowen, or Constantini ready? If not, bring in someone that has college experience after you do your due diligence on their character.

None of our incoming players are “tearing up” juniors. Schmaltz is a point a game guy but has slowed down tremendously the last few weeks (maybe he’s dinged up). All the other are at the .75 pace...not overly encouraging.

25 minutes ago, franchise said:

Screenshot_20210402-095335_Twitter.jpg

If true, that's huge.  Worth a bunch of goalie saves and scores, both. 

Boeser and Pinto were both way up there in skill, but Sanderson is the biggest talent UND has had for a while, IMO.