SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 Early Departures

cberkas

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm sorry, I don't speak Hughes. 
I only speak Upson and Witmer in a Walsh dialect. ;) :D 

She’s the assistant director of athletic bands and a big hockey fan.  
from someone who speaks Odegaard in a Swanson RA dialect. 

UND should bring in two goalies next season. 

Johnson is coming in next season, and I think the coaches need to find another goalie playing juniors that can come in next year.

Looking at the portal UND needs a goalie that's not here for just one year, so Johnson can be in the backup role but not thrown to the wolves. Moe gives UND that cushion in net that Driscoll and Thome don't have, and I don't see why they would bring Thome back. 

UND needs to stockpile goalies like they do with defensemen.

Getting NTDP goalie worked out and at most they are a year out from the U18 Team

50 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Johnson is coming in next season, and I think the coaches need to find another goalie playing juniors that can come in next year.

Looking at the portal UND needs a goalie that's not here for just one year, so Johnson can be in the backup role but not thrown to the wolves. Moe gives UND that cushion in net that Driscoll and Thome don't have, and I don't see why they would bring Thome back. 

Getting NTDP goalie worked out and at most they are a year out from the U18 Team

They have to bring Thome back, how else can we argue that it should be his net so that we can fire Barry?

3 hours ago, AJS said:

Simply stat watching, Driscoll seems to be more comparable to Galajda / St. Cyr than Thome / Moe, is that how others see it? If you had the choice of the three, Driscoll would clearly be the #1 pick?

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/248440/zach-driscoll

He's really never had a bad year going all the way back to high school. 

I think Driscoll is the most likely because he’s from Apple Valley like Karl Goehring. :wink:

Coincidence?

Maybe. 

25 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think Driscoll is the most likely because he’s from Apple Valley like Karl Goehring. :wink:

Coincidence?

Maybe. 

Played for the other team though as Karl was a Apple Valley Eagle while Zach was Eastview Lightning.

4 hours ago, cberkas said:

I'd trust Driscoll or Thome in net more than a freshmen. I know some can compete day one but that's a big risk to take. If we can get a solid year out of Driscoll or Thome then we can remain competitive while the younger goalies develop. 

14 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I'd trust Driscoll or Thome in net more than a freshmen. I know some can compete day one but that's a big risk to take. If we can get a solid year out of Driscoll or Thome then we can remain competitive while the younger goalies develop. 

This.  Thome is a pretty good goalie that has shown he can hang at this level.  I hope to be proved wrong, but I think Johnson becoming a starting D1 goalie is far from a sure thing. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Jackson Cates signs with PHI after three years at UMD. 

Sounds like his brother may sign as well.  Smart move by the Flyers.  Hopefully Koepke signs somewhere as well.  He's ready for the next level as well. 

Duluth will be interesting to track this offseason. Sandelin said he does want his Seniors back, so that's an interesting wrinkle as outside of one-off guys, I haven't seen another program that has brought back a majority of their Senior class. I bring that up, because for the rest of the NCHC it's important that some of those key guys leave. 

Swaney / Jackson Cates is a nice start. One and two on the team in points. Hoping Koepke and Noah Cates aren't far behind. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Duluth will be interesting to track this offseason. Sandelin said he does want his Seniors back, so that's an interesting wrinkle as outside of one-off guys, I haven't seen another program that has brought back a majority of their Senior class. I bring that up, because for the rest of the NCHC it's important that some of those key guys leave. 

Swaney / Jackson Cates is a nice start. One and two on the team in points. Hoping Koepke and Noah Cates aren't far behind. 

Just a matter of time with the other Cates.  Someone should math out how many points UND loses vs. Duluth.  

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Just a matter of time with the other Cates.  Someone should math out how many points UND loses vs. Duluth.  

UND loses (10 Players <Non-Goalies>)

• 59 of 114 Goals (52%)
  • 115 of 194 Assists (59.3%)
  • 174 of 308 Points (56.5%)

UMD Loses (4 Players)

(Since Sandelin said he wants the Seniors back, I am not counting them. We'll wait and see who returns. Below is making the assumption Noah is also signing, so it'll be only the 4 early signings)

• 46 of 84 Goals (54.8%)
  • 66 of 140 Assists (47.1%)
  • 112 of 224 Points (50%)

Notes

• UMD played one less game, but scored 30 goals less goals than UND. 
  • 4 of UND's departures combined for 4 goals and 9 assists, so 6 players did almost all of the damage for the departing players
  • Upvote 1