SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 Early Departures

cberkas

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

Has UND ever had an off-season where they had to replace damn near half their roster?  

29 minutes ago, Prison_Mike said:

Seasons that ended 2005-06 & 2010-11 were pretty bad if I recall.

After the 1979-1980 season, 14 guys weren't on the roster in 1980-1981.  Departures were a mix of seniors, guys turning pro (Smail, Taylor etc) and a couple guys who didn't return for lack of playing time.   Two more who were at the Olympics had eligibility remaining and also turned pro (Kevin Maxwell and Dave Christian), so you could count 16 total players to replace.  

1980-1981 was a learning season but UND brought in some incredible players (Troy Murray, Jon Casey), and the freshman class for 1981-1982 was amazing.  

6 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

After the 1979-1980 season, 14 guys weren't on the roster in 1980-1981.  Departures were a mix of seniors, guys turning pro (Smail, Taylor etc) and a couple guys who didn't return for lack of playing time.   Two more who were at the Olympics had eligibility remaining and also turned pro (Kevin Maxwell and Dave Christian), so you could count 16 total players to replace.  

1980-1981 was a learning season but UND brought in some incredible players (Troy Murray, Jon Casey), and the freshman class for 1981-1982 was amazing.  

Of course, our weakness in those days was the fans.    Hard to explain things like that. 

• Upvote 1

Jake Sanderson turns 19 in July. (Soak on that a bit ... that was an 18 year old flying around in 3, 4, and 5 OT.) 

His dad (Geoff) played a "couple days" in The National. 

Sanderson will make the best decision for his development. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, burd said:

Of course, our weakness in those days was the fans.    Hard to explain things like that. 

Sorry, my bad.

Yeah, they left so they could play somewhere quieter.  Too loud at the old Winter Sports Building. 

Some of the big hitters liked to deliver hits in front of us because sometimes the boards checked back ...

The guys who scored goals were tired of dodging thrown gophers, geese, a three-foot styrofoam puck ("stop this one, you sieve") and the occasional tennis ball.

And the PK guys hated getting a long break while someone chased down a live chicken.  (Wish I could take credit for that one, or at least shake the hand of the person who did.)

It all added up to an atmosphere where they couldn't wait to get out.   And the money had nothing to do with it. Nope.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, farce poobah said:

Sorry, my bad.

Yeah, they left so they could play somewhere quieter.  Too loud at the old Winter Sports Building. 

Some of the big hitters liked to deliver hits in front of us because sometimes the boards checked back ...

The guys who scored goals were tired of dodging thrown gophers, geese, a three-foot styrofoam puck ("stop this one, you sieve") and the occasional tennis ball.

And the PK guys hated getting a long break while someone chased down a live chicken.  (Wish I could take credit for that one, or at least shake the hand of the person who did.)

It all added up to an atmosphere where they couldn't wait to get out.   And the money had nothing to do with it. Nope.

They were basically a big . . . what's the word I'm looking for?  FARCE!

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, farce poobah said:

Given the growing reputation of Karl Goehring as a superb coach of young goaltenders, if you are a goaltender in the Transfer Portal and he calls, what would you say in response?

Like what Howie did for Wisconsin for years. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, burd said:

If true, that's huge.  Worth a bunch of goalie saves and scores, both. 

Boeser and Pinto were both way up there in skill, but Sanderson is the biggest talent UND has had for a while, IMO.

This is the clearest indication, thus far. Would be a massive shot in the arm as yesterday was not a good day for next year's squad.

58 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

:D

• Upvote 1

On 4/2/2021 at 10:46 AM, farce poobah said:

Given the growing reputation of Karl Goehring as a superb coach of young goaltenders, if you are a goaltender in the Transfer Portal and he calls, what would you say in response?

On 4/2/2021 at 10:59 AM, The Sicatoka said:

"Mom, Dad, the Goalie Whisperer called ME!"  :D 

We had some friends whose daughter played the harp. Apparently the girl's harp teacher would have prospective students sit up to a harp and put their fingers on the strings. The teacher could tell immediately whether or not this prospective student would ever be able to play the harp well. 

I wonder if Karl is like this with respect to goalies.

56 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Best three goalies available in the portal are Thome, Driscoll (BSU), and the Gopher Moe. 

Simply stat watching, Driscoll seems to be more comparable to Galajda / St. Cyr than Thome / Moe, is that how others see it? If you had the choice of the three, Driscoll would clearly be the #1 pick?

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/248440/zach-driscoll

He's really never had a bad year going all the way back to high school.