SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 non UND FCS thread

UNDBIZ

• 3 weeks later...

McFooley making some big predictions again.  

"NDSU vs. St. Thomas on Sept. 2, 2023, at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis."

https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/6880153-McFeely-blog-How-does-Bison-game-vs.-St.-Thomas-at-U.S.-Bank-Stadium-sound

Now I have no doubt that NDSU and AD Matt Larsen are looking into destination games for NDSU football.  They have proven to be successful.  Much like UND hockey destination games.  Will be interesting to see what happens..

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

McFooley making some big predictions again.  

"NDSU vs. St. Thomas on Sept. 2, 2023, at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis."

https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/6880153-McFeely-blog-How-does-Bison-game-vs.-St.-Thomas-at-U.S.-Bank-Stadium-sound

Now I have no doubt that NDSU and AD Matt Larsen are looking into destination games for NDSU football.  They have proven to be successful.  Much like UND hockey destination games.  Will be interesting to see what happens..

Pioneer team..... boring ......they should get one of these P5 teams that are too scared to play them 

at least schedule a quality opponent 

McFeely blog: NDSU-Eastern Washington working toward game at U.S. Bank Stadium

https://www.inforum.com/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/football/6887846-McFeely-blog-NDSU-Eastern-Washington-working-toward-game-at-U.S.-Bank-Stadium

"Sources in Washington say the schools have agreed in principle to play. NDSU is working on a deal with the stadium, which is home to the NFL's Minnesota Vikings."

On 2/11/2021 at 12:03 PM, Sioux>Bison said:

Pioneer team..... boring ......they should get one of these P5 teams that are too scared to play them 

at least schedule a quality opponent 

They aren't getting a P5 to play what amounts to a neutral site or potentially a road game in Minneapolis. 0% chance. 

If they can get an FCS team, that's really all they can ask for. 

10 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

They aren't getting a P5 to play what amounts to a neutral site or potentially a road game in Minneapolis. 0% chance. 

If they can get an FCS team, that's really all they can ask for. 

Why not a well known team with their own traveling fanbase? One sided competition with a one sided crowd sounds boring to me! I thought Bison fans are bored of this lame competition.....

13 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Why not a well known team with their own traveling fanbase? One sided competition with a one sided crowd sounds boring to me! I thought Bison fans are bored of this lame competition.....

No P5 is going to play NDSU in Minneapolis when they can write a check to get them at their own place.  So we can rule them out. (90% of the good fanbases fall in that category). Their fans probably aren't going to go out of their way to see a game against an FCS team anyway. Minnesota, for example, would prefer to play the game at TCF.

I'm assuming G5's have little interest in playing what amounts to a road game in Minneapolis either.

That leaves FCS teams. Who are the "big" fanbases?

- Montana and Montana State

- James Madison

- Delaware perhaps 

- UNI and YSU maybe

- HBCU's.

Of those schools, do you think any of them are remotely interested in Minneapolis other than UNI? Probably not. If its true that they got EWU, then thats pretty good and gives people a reason to go. Much better than Butler. 

They could always see if UND, SDSU, etc. are chill playing in Minneapolis, but I'm guessing none of them (including NDSU) really want to give up a home game against one of the big names on their schedule. 

This isn't the P5 where top teams meet up sometimes at Jerryworld or Atlanta or something like that and tens of thousands of fans of both schools show up. Only about 20 FCS teams average 10K at home.

15 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

No P5 is going to play NDSU in Minneapolis when they can write a check to get them at their own place.  So we can rule them out. (90% of the good fanbases fall in that category). Their fans probably aren't going to go out of their way to see a game against an FCS team anyway. Minnesota, for example, would prefer to play the game at TCF.

I'm assuming G5's have little interest in playing what amounts to a road game in Minneapolis either.

- James Madison

- Delaware perhaps 

- UNI and YSU maybe

- HBCU's.

Of those schools, do you think any of them are remotely interested in Minneapolis other than UNI? Probably not. If its true that they got EWU, then thats pretty good and gives people a reason to go. Much better than Butler. 

They could always see if UND, SDSU, etc. are chill playing in Minneapolis, but I'm guessing none of them (including NDSU) really want to give up a home game against one of the big names on their schedule. 

This isn't the P5 where top teams meet up sometimes at Jerryworld or Atlanta or something like that and tens of thousands of fans of both schools show up. Only about 20 FCS teams average 10K at home.

Doesn't really matter what FCS team they play.  Any team other than teams in ND, SD, MN, or IA aren't going to travel well to Minneapolis.  Only teams outside that area that you might have a chance at a decent amount traveling would be Montana, Montana St, or JMU.  I would hope that Larsen made calls to those schools first.  But, maybe NDSU doesn't really care.  If I am Entz, I want 45000+ screaming Bison fans in the stands.  Could care less that there aren't many fans from the other school.  Probably prefers it!! 

2 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

- James Madison

- Delaware perhaps 

- UNI and YSU maybe

- HBCU's.

Seems to me that JMU would be the best one

22 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Doesn't really matter what FCS team they play.  Any team other than teams in ND, SD, MN, or IA aren't going to travel well to Minneapolis.  Only teams outside that area that you might have a chance at a decent amount traveling would be Montana, Montana St, or JMU.  

Allow me this: If an FCS is near a significant airport with direct flights to MPS you might get a sniff. 

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

SDSU starting the freshman Gronowski at QB tonight against UNI instead of Gibbs

This a bit of a surprise or was expected?

The other two QB's must a lot of practice because of injuries.  The last scrimmage this spring he was the only QB that looked good.