SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 non UND FCS thread

UNDBIZ

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

This just in......NDSU FB players will start giving plasma weekly to offset the loss of dollars from corporate pull out from Saturday.

I did that in college to offset my minor in consumption bills. Kept doing it to provide beer money post-21st birthday. Great gig if you don't mind needles and enjoy a little banter with the girls sticking the needle in your arm. 

Easy to use the "rust" excuse, but from my observations NDSU didn't look like themselves against CA. I believe Roehl was trying too hard to showcase Lance's throwing ability and that was one of the reasons CA was in the game the entire time, but it just wasn't the dominance we have seen from them in the future. I thought their defense looked strong. #52 and #25 were the standouts in my opinion. All in all, NDSU will probably still win the MVFC as I'm sure their depth is too difficult for anyone else to overcome, but that being said it looks like a great year for UND to be entering the mighty, holy land that is the MVFC. Maybe, just maybe, we have a slight chance to hang with the best of the best every week.

53 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I never said I agree with him, in fact, I vehemently disagree with him. I'm just saying him holding a view that I find incorrect doesn't make him unintelligent as was suggested. Uninformed or misinformed? Sure.

My guess would be misinformed. Lots of misinformed people in their echo chambers out there.

15 hours ago, AJS said:

NDSU's combination of high end starters and incredible depth has had them on a different level than every other FCS team not named James Madison for years. Looking strictly offensively, having your 1st Round / All-American LT & QB both opt out of Spring Football is such a huge blow. It's outrageous really. Depth Depth Depth, so as the roster stands now, they'll be fine offensively, but I do think this might be one of the 1st years where potential depth issues might arise if the injury bug hits certain positions. 

They may not win it this year but this isn't a normal year. They lost more than 1st round QB and LT. They lost a first round LB (Cox), another starting LB and very likely a starting CB, among possibly 2 more starting OL that may opt op of the spring season. 

27 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

They may not win it this year but this isn't a normal year. They lost more than 1st round QB and LT. They lost a first round LB (Cox), another starting LB and very likely a starting CB, among possibly 2 more starting OL that may opt op of the spring season. 

Good

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

My mother always said... the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

I've been hearing this same thing since 2013.

That said, I do feel a shift happening right now within NDSU football. I felt it the minute Entz took over. He doesn't have a head coach mentality, nor does he conduct himself in a way that gives me confidence that he is the man for the job.

A couple of quick examples, his insistence on "going with his gut" on when to go for two, he made some incredibly bone-headed decisions last year to go for two in my opinion, some of them worked out some didn't. Second example is the way he talks about his players. He reveals too much IMO. Last year someone asked a question about Ty Brooks and he said something to the effect of "Ty really thinks a lot of himself and he likes to tell you about it". That doesn't follow with the NDSU football ethos in my opinion, true or not, stuff like that stays in the locker room.

He conducts himself much more the way a position coach would, he likes getting hyped up and getting emotional. Works for position coaches, but not head coaches.

I guess we'll see how it plays out.

6 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I've been hearing this same thing since 2013.

That said, I do feel a shift happening right now within NDSU football. I felt it the minute Entz took over. He doesn't have a head coach mentality, nor does he conduct himself in a way that gives me confidence that he is the man for the job.

A couple of quick examples, his insistence on "going with his gut" on when to go for two, he made some incredibly bone-headed decisions last year to go for two in my opinion, some of them worked out some didn't. Second example is the way he talks about his players. He reveals too much IMO. Last year someone asked a question about Ty Brooks and he said something to the effect of "Ty really thinks a lot of himself and he likes to tell you about it". That doesn't follow with the NDSU football ethos in my opinion, true or not, stuff like that stays in the locker room.

He conducts himself much more the way a position coach would, he likes getting hyped up and getting emotional. Works for position coaches, but not head coaches.

I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Sounds kinda like Rocky

11 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

I just have a feeling that this is going to be a crapshoot in this odd spring season. 

1 hour ago, Mama Sue said:

My mother always said... the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

I would guess they will be ok.  Can’t wait for them to have an off year.  Players need to develop and play their own system as well as NDSU has.  

13 minutes ago, homer said:

I would guess they will be ok.  Can’t wait for them to have an off year.  Players need to develop and play their own system as well as NDSU has.  

It's gonna take NDSU missing on a QB. Depending on how you look at it, they've been incredibly fortunate or incredibly smart in recruiting the past 12 years at that position.

I made this point before Trey Lance even came along, but I don't really think it can be argued at this point. NDSU has had possibly the best 3 quarterback trio of any school in the nation since Wentz took over.

There isn't another school that can say they've had their last three QB's drafted and two in the first round(we'll see on Trey). Oklahoma and Ohio State would be the two I would put in the same discussion.

I know that seems insane on it's face, but it's true when you look at the QB play NDSU has been blessed with.

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

It's gonna take NDSU missing on a QB. Depending on how you look at it, they've been incredibly fortunate or incredibly smart in recruiting the past 12 years at that position.

I made this point before Trey Lance even came along, but I don't really think it can be argued at this point. NDSU has had possibly the best 3 quarterback trio of any school in the nation since Wentz took over.

There isn't another school that can say they've had their last three QB's drafted and two in the first round(we'll see on Trey). Oklahoma and Ohio State would be the two I would put in the same discussion.

I know that seems insane on it's face, but it's true when you look at the QB play NDSU has been blessed with.

It’s tough to argue against when you think about it. Clemson could maybe do it if you don’t count that guy who got benches for Lawrence. Oklahoma has a case as well. Ohio St perhaps. I’m having trouble coming up with any others.

10 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I was a little young for his prime years, but his schtick sort of wore thin didn't it?

My understanding is he may have lost control of the locker room. I would think it's pretty much impossible to retain some ideal culture forever.  I'm curious if NDSU is just going to settle in though like an Ohio State or something where even in years where they are not at their best they still win 9 games just on talent alone or if it'll fall a bit harder than that. 

I am not old but I am old enough to remember seeing a 6-5, a 3-8, and a 7-4 season lol

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It’s tough to argue against when you think about it. Clemson could maybe do it if you don’t count that guy who got benches for Lawrence. Oklahoma has a case as well. Ohio St perhaps. I’m having trouble coming up with any others.

As I look through the draft classes, I agree with you, Clemson also would be in that discussion, but that's it really.

11 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

It isn't a normal year for anyone so please don't already use that as an excuse if the thundering terds don't bring home their 291234th national championship. Everyone is losing players. That is why NDSU has been special is their recruit well and have the depth to replace those players. I've said it since the hire if anyone is going to stop this train from rolling it is Entz. Arrogance and assumptions on his part will get the best of him in the end.

10 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I agree.  Great development of players. 

Also, even though they lose some players this year, there will be a crazy amount of players looking to transfer that will allow schools to restock at positions they may be thin at.  NDSU will be an attractive option for those players if that is a route they choose to go.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, homer said:

I agree.  Great development of players. 

Also, even though they lose some players this year, there will be a crazy amount of players looking to transfer that will allow schools to restock at positions they may be thin at.  NDSU will be an attractive option for those players if that is a route they choose to go.  

As long as transfers remain a small portion of the plan, I don't have a problem with it. When we start relying on them to be successful, I think it leads to more trouble than benefit.

Being able to have the majority of the team be guys that were recruited, redshirted and developed has been a major key to NDSU's ability to develop diamonds that were under-recruited. They've really developed some beasts on the D-line over the years.

6 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

As long as transfers remain a small portion of the plan, I don't have a problem with it. When we start relying on them to be successful, I think it leads to more trouble than benefit.

Being able to have the majority of the team be guys that were recruited, redshirted and developed has been a major key to NDSU's ability to develop diamonds that were under-recruited. They've really developed some beasts on the D-line over the years.

That, and guys who transfer seem to frequently transfer again or quit football more frequently than the average recruit.  Typically a guy like Zeb would bolt after not being named starter over a freshman.  Why did he transfer from ISU in the first place?

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

That, and guys who transfer seem to frequently transfer again or quit football more frequently than the average recruit.  Typically a guy like Zeb would bolt after not being named starter over a freshman.  Why did he transfer from ISU in the first place?

Heard through the grapevine, Zeb transferred because he aspires to be a college football coach and thought NDSU would be a great place to learn and maybe play someday.