SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

Any reporting out there on camp?

I watched the Bubba interview on Youtube, but that was awful. I like Bubba, but there is not substance to any of his comments. Everyone works hard, and is doing what is asked ... it is always the most vanilla interview.

he should just farm out all interviews to danny

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

We get a few of our punts blocked per year.

CM Sioux said: Hasn't the other aspects of special teams been pretty good as far a blocking kicks and covering kicks - yes it's a total picture but certainly has improved over the last few years.  

I thought UNDBIZ's comment of a "few" blocks per year didn't sound right (a "few" to me means 3 or more), so I dug into the stats. Only 2017-2019 stats were available on the UND website, and they did not indicate which type of kick is blocked (punt, place kick). Summary: CM Sioux is correct, UNDBIZ is incorrect. According to the stats, (some) other aspects of special teams have clearly improved in the last few years. Here is the data:

Opponents: 2 kicks blocked (Montana St., Sac St.)

UND: 2 kicks blocked (vs. Montana, vs. E. Washington)

Even

Opponents: 2 kicks blocked (SHSU, Idaho)

UND: 4 kicks blocked (SHSU, Idaho St., Sac St., Weber St.)

+2 UND

Opponents: 0 kicks blocked

UND: 3 kicks blocked (Montana St., No. Colorado, So. Utah)

+3 UND

12 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

CM Sioux said: Hasn't the other aspects of special teams been pretty good as far a blocking kicks and covering kicks - yes it's a total picture but certainly has improved over the last few years.  

I thought UNDBIZ's comment of a "few" blocks per year didn't sound right (a "few" to me means 3 or more), so I dug into the stats. Only 2017-2019 stats were available on the UND website, and they did not indicate which type of kick is blocked (punt, place kick). Summary: CM Sioux is correct, UNDBIZ is incorrect. According to the stats, (some) other aspects of special teams have clearly improved in the last few years. Here is the data:

Even

+2 UND

+3 UND

Thanks for checking it out, as it didn't sound right to me, either.

16 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Even

+2 UND

+3 UND

You beat me to it, I was going to check out these stats.

Other than the quality of our placekicking and punting (which has not been good), special teams has been pretty good the last couple of years. 

23 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Even

+2 UND

+3 UND

Is there a chance our punting has been bad because the kickers don't have a ton of time to get the kick off?  Who has the advanced stats to figure out that theory????

We had a run of amazing FG kicking performance from 1998 to 2009 with Peterka to Glas to Hellevang*. Those guys are top 3 in most kicking categories. (You could argue Zeb Miller and Taubenheim as the two follow-ons from 2010 to 2017 continued the run). 

I miss that.

We need that back. 

Don't believe me?
See page 61 of 156 here: https://fightinghawks.com/documents/2020/9/3/Fall_Camp_Guide_2020.pdf 

*I'd forgotten he punted also. He's second all-time in average yards per punt. 

5 hours ago, UND Fan said:

You beat me to it, I was going to check out these stats.

Other than the quality of our placekicking and punting (which has not been good), special teams has been pretty good the last couple of years. 

other than placekicking and punting???? not much left after those two very important pieces of the special teams puzzle.

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

other than placekicking and punting???? not much left after those two very important pieces of the special teams puzzle.

There is much more to STs than kicking the ball:  assembling the best offense and defense lines, developing a good long snapper, returners, coverages, return schemes, etc.  Having a PK and punter who don’t produce are talent issues. If Kostich (someone on here probably knows) has full control of the recruitment of the kickers, then he certainly should be responsible for their performance as well.

1 hour ago, Mama Sue said:

What years did we lead the conference with ST......need to regain that!

Not sure there is such a thing as.....leading the conference in Special Teams.   Too many different variables and things to look at to quantify properly. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Not sure there is such a thing as.....leading the conference in Special Teams.   Too many different variables and things to look at to quantify properly. 

I certainly don't want to lead the league in number of Kick Returns!!:D  Probably not in Kick Return Yards either, but yards per kick return would be good.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Yes! Let’s spark up the message board!

Really excited! From what it looks like there are some really good tools in place. Hopefully the coaches use them correctly, and actually scheme for other teams (may be tougher this year). I feel like in the past the coaches have had the mentality of "This is our style, we aren't going to change it", the lack of adjustments has cost us games. 

For me, there are some question marks at QB and RB, only because we haven't really seen much from these guys. That being said, I think there is a ton of potential with Schuster and Vaughn. Hoping both get playing time. Neal has plenty of athleticism too. RB has a ton of potential as well; I know Gee is the veteran and a steady player, but I feel like he lacks in some areas. Skokna has shown flashes, speed shiftiness. Weah has shown his power and worked his tail off to get back on the field; I'm really hoping to see him get some big plays. Mitchell has the speed ... Last time we got excited about a speed guy, he transferred to a D2 school; hoping this one works out better. I think we would all like to see some flashes of a Santiago and big runs.

As Miller wrote in one of his articles, WR is probably one of the deepest spots on the team, though we some older players that haven't all had a ton of playing time. Maag, Richter and BB will be fun to watch, but there is plenty of talent both young and old behind them. It'll be interesting to see who steps up. CB should also be fun to watch, and I really hope with the talent we have, we get back to a ton of INTs like a few years back.