SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

21 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

who is  our starting RB day one?

I would guess it's a true committee this year. Gee seemed to have the coach's trust as far as doing a little bit of everything, Weah will be the tough yards, between the tackles dude (assuming he is eligible), Skokna is probably the smoothest one of the bunch and has shown he can be special. Mitchell was pretty hyped up coming in so who knows what he can do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I think Otis gets most of the carries by the of the season (if its a full season).  

That is what I would bet as well.  Definitely will spread out the touches though I'm sure.  Only 30 days away from game day....definitely ready for some UND football news!  

Brees likely played his last game Sunday.  At only 6'0 tall he put up some impressive numbers and was a winner.  Hopefully Shuster can be our version of Brees and turns some heads this year. 

42 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

That is what I would bet as well.  Definitely will spread out the touches though I'm sure.  Only 30 days away from game day....definitely ready for some UND football news!  

Brees likely played his last game Sunday.  At only 6'0 tall he put up some impressive numbers and was a winner.  Hopefully Shuster can be our version of Brees and turns some heads this year. 

I was so Impressed when Shuster stepped in and won the game.  I told Bubba the next the kid has poise.

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

I was so Impressed when Shuster stepped in and won the game.  I told Bubba the next the kid has poise.

The staff knows what they will get with him. Steady, accurate and minimizes mistakes. Probably a lot like Studsrud, he'll keep you in the game and won't lose them for you, but won't win a bunch on his own. I see him playing this spring quite a bit, not sure it's clicking for the other guys yet. I think he'll have a legit challenger showing up this fall. 

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

The staff knows what they will get with him. Steady, accurate and minimizes mistakes. Probably a lot like Studsrud, he'll keep you in the game and won't lose them for you, but won't win a bunch on his own. I see him playing this spring quite a bit, not sure it's clicking for the other guys yet. I think he'll have a legit challenger showing up this fall. 

I think if Rudy was still the coordinator you are right, he'd be a lot like Studs, not lose games but probably not win you games.  I think in Danny's offense Schuster can win us games.  Looking back at stats from Sam Houston last year, he was 17-33 with 1 TD.  That is a lot of passes for only 3 quarters.  Danny won't wait until 3rd and 7 to call a pass play so he'll have more opportunities to throw it on pass friendly downs.  I see that Schuster went 13-13 in his HS state championship game, zero incompletions. 

I also agree that this spring the job is probably pretty firmly his, but next fall hopefully the other guys are pushing him.  

I don't want to minimize Schuster's capability, but a lot of people have put a lot of stock into 1 game of live action. I really hope the kid can keep it going, but I haven't seen him at practice, and his live game action has been so limited. I think we need a bigger sample size to really have any idea.

That being said, I agree with @SkoHawks I just hope whoever plays does well, but the other guys get some meaningful reps. This spring is an opportunity to develop key depth for the fall.

9 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I think if Rudy was still the coordinator you are right, he'd be a lot like Studs, not lose games but probably not win you games.  I think in Danny's offense Schuster can win us games.  Looking back at stats from Sam Houston last year, he was 17-33 with 1 TD.  That is a lot of passes for only 3 quarters.  Danny won't wait until 3rd and 7 to call a pass play so he'll have more opportunities to throw it on pass friendly downs.  I see that Schuster went 13-13 in his HS state championship game, zero incompletions. 

I also agree that this spring the job is probably pretty firmly his, but next fall hopefully the other guys are pushing him.  

That's definitely a fair point to make, Studsrud did what he was asked when he could have done a lot more, partiularly with his legs and the offense he was in held him back. I just see them both as "game-manager" type QB's who are going to keep drives alive with smart/low-risk plays and not turn the ball over. Doesn't mean there won't be deep shots taken, they will just be calculated.

I do think he'll get pushed some this spring, but I just don't think the other guys are there yet. Wouldn't be surprised to see more Boltman sprinkled in.
Next fall is when the QB room gets even more interesting. This year's freshman have a full year under their belt and there is a chance TF could be pushing for playing time right taway.

39 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

I love Feeney's tape and I agree with everyone that Schuster is our QB this spring, but let's not forget about Quincy Vaughn. Huge frame, can run, big arm.....

I like the prospect of what Vaughn could potentially become.  From what I've heard, he needs to improve accuracy.  I would love to see him at QB but any chance he turns into a Boltman 2.0? 

11 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I like the prospect of what Vaughn could potentially become.  From what I've heard, he needs to improve accuracy.  I would love to see him at QB but any chance he turns into a Boltman 2.0? 

If Vaughn was not the QB of the future, and who the heck know .... I would see him as more of a Seth Green from the Gophers than a Brock Boltman. BB is faster and shiftier, I think Vaughn is more of a sizeable power runner who can pick up a couple yard for you on 3rd or 4th down by running it up the gut.

That being said, I still think it is way to early to jump the gun and say Schuster is the hands down favorite, or that Vaughn will switch positions or Feeney will play early.

Schuster - Played great when he was called upon, but that was extremely limited. Hopefully he can continue that, but I just don't think there is enough substance to know. I know some talked as though he would have been FBS caliber if he were 4 inches taller, though that is a lot of speculation.

Vaughn - Size, power and strength. I have not clue on accuracy, other than what I read on here. Certainly some hype with his recruiting, and definitely potential there. I hope he gets some playing time this spring. Seems like some guys can really turn in on in a game, hope he has that factor.

Neal - I feel like I remember Miller writing that he looked like the most athletic kid of this group. So maybe he is actually more of your mobile QB, but he probably needs to put on a little more size.

Feeney - We know he can tear apart HS defenses, but college is a whole different deal. Fortunately we seem to have some depth and talent, so there should be no need to rush this kid into playing unless he completely stands out. Haven't watched him myself, so I can't really breakdown his play, but I think he will also do well to pack on a little more weight for durability.

Definitely the most exciting group of QBs we have had in a long time, but again, between all of these guys, how much college experience is there? It is almost all potential and speculation at this point, which makes this Spring all the more fun. Not burning any eligibility, we are kind of playing with house money in terms of preparing for next fall.

Now I have rambled long enough, but it should express my level of excitement for this team to get going!

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

As what a tight end? I didn’t think it sounded like he had much for wheels. 

42 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I don't believe he will switch positions. However, I will say with the current state of college football and how easy it seems to be to transfer, there is no way Shuster, Vaughn, Neil, and Feeney all finish their college careers at UND.

54 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I'm not sure.  Just curious if he had the skill set to be a Slash type player (play at a few positions)?  I'd like to see him earn the starting position.  But as FlinFlan says, the QB room is getting pretty crowded.  If Trey Feeney becomes the guy everyone is thinking he may, I'm curious if Vaughn or other current QB's could play a different position.

I really like what Boltman brings to the team.  Again, I 'm not sure of Vaughn's skill set other than what I read here.  So maybe he doesn't fit the mold of what Boltman can do.  

It's nice to finally see some actual good competition at QB, and a QB group that all show potential, although we'll wait to see which of them reach it.   We have finally taken the QB position seriously, has only taken 6-7 years.  I never want to see such a wounded duck 3 yard TD from a backup coming off the bench like we saw a couple of years ago. 

Schuster is the man.  If his performance against S. Houston as a true fresh didn't show you that you are football blind.  Boltman is #2 and will even throw the ball some.  Vaughn is a head scratcher to some cause he looks the part off the field (not sure if he figures it out, changes positions, transfers) Neal transfers to DII, Feeney will have a shot when he gets there.

1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

Schuster is the man.  If his performance against S. Houston as a true fresh didn't show you that you are football blind.  Boltman is #2 and will even throw the ball some.  Vaughn is a head scratcher to some cause he looks the part off the field (not sure if he figures it out, changes positions, transfers) Neal transfers to DII, Feeney will have a shot when he gets there.

problem with using Schusters performance against SHSU as a marker of being an all american is that SHSU ended being a really bad team...i hope we have higher aspirations that beating bad schools like shsu.

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

problem with using Schusters performance against SHSU as a marker of being an all american is that SHSU ended being a really bad team...i hope we have higher aspirations that beating bad schools like shsu.

They were not typical SHSU strong in2019, I'll give you that, but that bad team finished 7-5 and shut out the team that cleaned our clocks in the playoffs. I don't know if that's saying much about us, if SHSU is/was as "bad" a team" as you say.  I'm giving the kid a little more credit for holding his own against a team that came into the Al with a lot of confidence in early 2019. He was a lot more poised in his first action than I thought he'd be. He's got a lot to build upon.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

It's just perspective.  Schuster's high school numbers were almost unbelievable as undefeated 6A Champs.  His pocket presence, timing, ball location, all way ahead of where a normal true freshman is expected to be in that situation.  I am projecting from what I saw he'll be a good player in spite of his average size and running ability.  He's not the runner I want back there but the other intangibles could surprise.  I'd be good with All-Conference his 1st year, then All American!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

It's nice to finally see some actual good competition at QB, and a QB group that all show potential, although we'll wait to see which of them reach it.   We have finally taken the QB position seriously, has only taken 6-7 years.  I never want to see such a wounded duck 3 yard TD from a backup coming off the bench like we saw a couple of years ago. 

All in all, it was one simple switch: Freund to OC. It would be very hard for someone to argue how important of a move that was for the program. Bubba made a good decision there. In that, it appears that Freund has surrounded himself with a nice offensive staff that agrees with what he is trying to do.

1 hour ago, FlinFlan80 said:

All in all, it was one simple switch: Freund to OC. It would be very hard for someone to argue how important of a move that was for the program. Bubba made a good decision there. In that, it appears that Freund has surrounded himself with a nice offensive staff that agrees with what he is trying to do.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^