SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 Football Season

bincitysioux

I hope the big sky decides to play, but if they don't then that's on them. I hope the MVFC takes the lead like the SEC, Big  12 and ACC did because I recall conferences like the Big 10 canceling and hoping everyone follows, only to concede and have a season that started too late in November. 

• Upvote 1

Sooo, here we are just over 1 week away from camp (Jan. 22) and just over 5 weeks away from opening game (Feb. 20).  The schedule is for 8 games, all MVFC.  NCAA bracket is 16 teams, 11 auto-bids, 5 at-large.  With all that laid out, what is a successful season this time?  Or maybe a better question, assuming we don't win the conference auto-bid, what is it going to take be an at-large team?

33 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Sooo, here we are just over 1 week away from camp (Jan. 22) and just over 5 weeks away from opening game (Feb. 20).  The schedule is for 8 games, all MVFC.  NCAA bracket is 16 teams, 11 auto-bids, 5 at-large.  With all that laid out, what is a successful season this time?  Or maybe a better question, assuming we don't win the conference auto-bid, what is it going to take be an at-large team?

Seven wins. 
Maybe six if one is over the MVFC champion. 

Just now, Dustin said:

Pretty tall order.  So are we sitting out the postseason?

Small field (16 teams, 11 autos, 5 at large) is a high bar. 

You have to assume it's going to take exceptional performance to get an at-large. 

Alternatively there's the autobid option: just win the MVFC ... which again requires exceptional performance. 

I think 6-2 can still be considered somewhat of a successful season.  In a normal year with 3 out of conference games, assume we go 2-1 out of conference, that is an 8-3 record which is pretty good considering we are playing in tough conference.  I think a lot of it will also just depend on how we look, and the way games go.  I mean do NDSU and SDSU both beat us by 30 points, then yeah 6-2 probably not feeling very good after that.  If we go 6-2 with very competitive games and close losses to NDSU and SDSU, that is marked improvement.  Although it would be nice to make our mark early in the MVFC and beat one of the SU's.  

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

Playing all 8 games

Now for a serious one.  Winning record against the conference.  (At least 5 wins)

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Playing all 8 games

Now for a serious one.  Winning record against the conference.  (At least 5 wins)

That's kind what my benchmark was; 5-3, win one of the wins against a Dakota school.  Competitive in every game would be huge (no blowouts).

1 hour ago, Wright4UND said:

5-3 would be a solid spring season breaking in a new qb.  6+ wins would be a great start to the MVFC and would set up even more success in the fall season.   Need to have good OL play to establish a running game and that will open up the passing game off of the RPO. 

May I ask if you are Jack's dad?

44 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I am afraid that being 4 - 4 is optimistic.

I would say 4-4 is the break even point.  Anything less would be a disappointment.  A fifth win would show we are making positive strides, even if 5-3 leaves us out the playoffs.  A sixth win could potentially get us in the playoffs, and would go a long way in proving our program is MVFC level.  If we get 7 wins (or 8), we should be good enough to make a run to the semi-finals or even championship game.   

39 minutes ago, Wright4UND said:

yes, but mainly just like talking football. 

I knew you are worth listening to when you started the conversation about offense with "Need to have good OL play."  :) 

PS - The tweet this week about "full recovery" made us all very happy. Most for the on-field angle. Me? Because publicly thanking his PT rehab team tells me about the player understanding its about more than just him. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I knew you are worth listening to when you started the conversation about offense with "Need to have good OL play."  :) 

PS - The tweet this week about "full recovery" made us all very happy. Most for the on-field angle. Me? Because publicly thanking his PT rehab team tells me about the player understanding its about more than just him. 

Thanks for recognizing that!  He is a nice young man and they did take really good care of him! 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Wright4UND said:

5-3 would be a solid spring season breaking in a new qb.  6+ wins would be a great start to the MVFC and would set up even more success in the fall season.   Need to have good OL play to establish a running game and that will open up the passing game off of the RPO. 

Welcome - glad you are here and also that you are proud to identify yourself, here's hoping Jack becomes a UND star!

• Upvote 2