SiouxSports.com Forum

Playoff Time

geaux_sioux

7 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

No doubt!   And geezes can we try and be positive,  man a lot of negative posts when we should all be in a good mood, we made the playoffs.  

Not according to our visiting su "contributors". I heard there are more pharmacy issues in their locker room. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I have to agree this happy day for UND football and positive day for everyone involved with the program. I don' t understand how we have to be so negative about the program. The one thing is we need no talk of NDSU game because we first need to win the first one. This will be difficult enough because like everyone knows it hard to win on the road. Even the mighty Bison would not like going on the road in playoffs. Und has made first step in FCS football by making the playoffs and next step is to win a playoff game. In the future we need to get to where we have bye and homefield advantage in the playoffs. Were one top 24 teams in FCS and if we win our first game we will be one of 16 top teams in FCS football. Building a winning program is never easy and we should be happy that things are heading in right direction.

Just a few that have never-ending negative agenda "because they care" and we don't. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Not according to our visiting su "contributors". I heard there are more pharmacy issues in their locker room. 

Well does JuiceU offer a PhD in “cover-up?” Maybe they should test every player before each playoff game....awful difficult to regain credibility, just saying!

12 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I probably have watched a hell of a lot more punting and kicking than you have and interacted with  kickers and punters at not just little league but high school, college and nfl. Maybe your experience is more extensive than mine,  but I never said the punter and kicker are “pretty good”. I said average but my point was somehow with less than stellar punting and kicking, the coach has done pretty well with KO and punt coverage.  Although our punter’s average isn’t good his net average is at least average, maybe a little better. Our kicker doesn’t have a big leg but the other team doesn’t often start beyond the 25 after a kickoff. I don’t know where you think you start after a touchback. Therefore someone has our special teams kids playing pretty well with who we have at punter and kicker. “Olden days”???  I haven’t gained my experience playing Madden FB and watching ESPN. You guys who think the answer is to fire everyone when things aren’t going well are full of crap. If you want someone fired start writing checks but $5000 or $10,000 won’t cut it. Until we have resources to do things faster, we are going to have to be patient. Guys like Kostich need to be supported and develop. He has the potential to be an excellent coach. He has done a good job this year. You haven’t got a clue and frankly some of our “olden times” teams were pretty good. 

This is partly why I stay off the message board for the most part now.  For many it is a knee jerk fire the coach when they don't have any idea what is going on behind what we are allowed to see.  A few posters tend to have a pretty realistic grasp on what is going on with the program but most seem pretty clueless and are shooting off at the mouth or in this case keyboard.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

That NDSU offense wasn't the same as the one playing now. Lance and Watson are playing much better than they were week 2. And they will let Lance run as often as necessary in the playoffs.  And watching the last couple of weeks of the UND defense, it hasn't improved much from the beginning of the year. 

I'll respectfully disagree about Lance playing better now than week 2.  He was 11-15 passing with two TDs and ran for almost 100 yards and two TDs at almost 6 yards a pop.  I'd say the kid had himself a really really good game in only his second start.  

Watson has been better.  If UND gets to the Fargodome would be fun to see him and Holm and matchup.  

• Upvote 1

So I think I know most people’s thought on playing Holm is that he should play any future games this year. I don’t necessarily disagree but man if we win against Nicholls and end up losing to NDSU the way we did at the beginning of the year that is going to feel like a waste to me but maybe I’m in the minority. I guess I don’t know a better way to approach it either as having Holm out there gives us our best opportunity I think. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

So I think I know most people’s thought on playing Holm is that he should play any future games this year. I don’t necessarily disagree but man if we win against Nicholls and end up losing to NDSU the way we did at the beginning of the year that is going to feel like a waste to me but maybe I’m in the minority. I guess I don’t know a better way to approach it either as having Holm out there gives us our best opportunity I think. 

He does give us the best opportunity but if we beat Nichols and he decides to sit out against NDSU because he wants a full season I respect that.

• Upvote 4

We are a team that does lots very well and some things not so well. We are playing a team, much like us, that does lots of good things and some things not so well. Hopefully our coaches can develop a great game plan to expose their weaknesses and limIt our exposure.

Boy, if we can just wrap up and tackle better on the edges. If we can hold our own on the defensive line. If we can limit our turnovers and make our kicks. If our players heal and can effectively play. If our defensive backs can catch the pass for an interception. If we don’t give up long touchdown passes. Lots of if!

Should be a fun game to watch.

I've been tough on this team and the coaching staff this year...and I think my complaint still stands regarding the lack of any kind of consistency and the ability to put together a complete 60 minute effort in all three phases of the game.  That being said...they did what they had to do and got their name called yesterday...and I'm pumped!  I watched the Nicholls/SELA game last week...and I feel good about our chances if we play the way that we are capable of playing of beating the Colonels (while I'm also mindful that a sloppy effort will result in a very disappointing Saturday).  If we can beat the Colonels and play NDSU tougher than we did in September...I'll consider this year to be a success, while hoping we can continue to build going forward (and not have a 2017-esque setback).

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

This makes sense, but I'd hope that either way he would end up playing in the playoffs, either this year or next.  I'd rather have him for one playoff game this year, and use him all next season and in the playoffs next season as well. 

• Upvote 1

Found a comment on Nicholls bid. Reading into that I'd say their bid was around 100k is my guess. Just found it interesting

"Athletic Director Matt Roan confirmed to the Courier and Daily Comet prior to the selection show that Nicholls did submit a bid to host multiple rounds, similar to the bid they placed — and won with — last season. Nicholls offered a winning bid of $80,000 in guaranteed money to the NCAA in 2018, and while he did not give a specific number, Roan said this year's bid was slightly more competitive but in the same range."

Full article: https://www.houmatoday.com/news/20191124/nicholls-to-host-north-dakota-in-opening-round-of-fcs-playoffs