SiouxSports.com Forum

Playoff Time

geaux_sioux

2 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Calling a player’s character into question on a public forum? With limited information and a large amount of speculation, that’s the path you are choosing to go down two weeks before that decision needs to be made? 

No I'm saying he'd play with one arm if given the opportunity.

Are you fried like the real Ozzie? Relax

• Upvote 1

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

????? he's just saying that wanzek would play with both arms in slings ...if the staff would let em...he wasn't challenging his character????

He’s comparing Wanzek and Holm and calling Holm’s character into question.  

Of course Wanzek will play if if there is any possible way he can, even if he’s in pain. He also doesn’t have a redshirt decision to make, so comparing Holm and Wanzek is not fair. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

He’s comparing Wanzek and Holm and calling Holm’s character into question.  

Of course Wanzek will play if if there is any possible way he can, even if he’s in pain. He also doesn’t have a redshirt decision to make, so comparing Holm and Wanzek is not fair. 

Holm IMO is our best player in the secondary.  If he's healthy and HE opts out of playing vs NDSU.....in a playoff game......to not use a year of eligiblity that's on him. 

Isn't that the type of game the recruits were sold on in playing in and turning this program around?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

yes congrats...bubba can stay but kostitch is coaching his last three games at UND

No he isn’t. Overall Special teams have been pretty good this year.  Good KO coverage, punt coverage with less than average kicker/punter. 2 big punt blocks for TD. He is well liked and a good recruiter. Has bright upside. 

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Big Green said:

If they are thinking playing Holm against Ndsu assuming they make it I'd just sit him next game.  Not willing to burn a whole year of eligibility for what would likely be a loss with or without him.  

If pull off miracle and beat NDSU he plays rest of year 

If the staff is preparing for NDSU because they're ASSUMING anything next Saturday, then I'm all for firing everybody involved. Thankfully there is no chance anybody is doing that.

19 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

I think UND could choose to fly in earlier, but they'd have to pay for the extra day(s) in the hotel and for the extra meals.

I just don’t want to see an Idaho state travel fiasco with the weather forecast for later this week 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

No he isn’t. Overall Special teams have been pretty good this year.  Good KO coverage, punt coverage with less than average kicker/punter. 2 big punt blocks for TD. He is well liked and a good recruiter. Has bright upside. 

what team have you been watching....our punter and kicker wouldn't be second string at moorhead state or even bemidji state. amazing how far the bar has fallen since the "olden days" to settle for pretty good.

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

what team have you been watching....our punter and kicker wouldn't be second string at moorhead state or even bemidji state. amazing how far the bar has fallen since the "olden days" to settle for pretty good.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Special teams have absolutely been a positive for UND this year. This team isn't in the playoffs without how well our special teams have performed.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Drop it on this one. The last person losing any credibility in the locker room on their decision is Holm. He's made a ton of sacrifices for the team and he's lost over a full season of games to injury in his career. And comparing it to Wanzek's situation is straight garbage. They are in no way comparable. 

Not going to blame a kid if he wants to be health and play a full year to finish his career instead of half of a season, delaying his his life after football for a year. Also not going to blame him if he gives it a go against huge odds and ends his career by playing a fifth game. 

Garbage? Hmmmmmm....ok. He can make whatever decision he wants if UND beats Nichols. He's one of the 4 best defensive players on this roster IMO when healthy. He's supposedly healthy now. Your post above assumes he'll be healthy all next year.....correct? Pretty big assumption. You make lots of those on this site. Again he's free to make the decision that's best for him if UND gets a shot to dethrone NDSU. UND is a much better FB team when he plays. He'd give UND a better chance vs NDSU. Again is that not the type of game he came to UND for....along with all the other kids on that roster? I think he's been a terrific asset and player for UND. UND needs more kids like him. Maybe my use of words were poor in a previous post but going to be an interesting conversation if he decides not to play vs NDSU.....if game happens. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I probably have watched a hell of a lot more punting and kicking than you have and interacted with  kickers and punters at not just little league but high school, college and nfl. Maybe your experience is more extensive than mine,  but I never said the punter and kicker are “pretty good”. I said average but my point was somehow with less than stellar punting and kicking, the coach has done pretty well with KO and punt coverage.  Although our punter’s average isn’t good his net average is at least average, maybe a little better. Our kicker doesn’t have a big leg but the other team doesn’t often start beyond the 25 after a kickoff. I don’t know where you think you start after a touchback. Therefore someone has our special teams kids playing pretty well with who we have at punter and kicker. “Olden days”???  I haven’t gained my experience playing Madden FB and watching ESPN. You guys who think the answer is to fire everyone when things aren’t going well are full of crap. If you want someone fired start writing checks but $5000 or $10,000 won’t cut it. Until we have resources to do things faster, we are going to have to be patient. Guys like Kostich need to be supported and develop. He has the potential to be an excellent coach. He has done a good job this year. You haven’t got a clue and frankly some of our “olden times” teams were pretty good. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Holm IMO is our best player in the secondary.  If he's healthy and HE opts out of playing vs NDSU.....in a playoff game......to not use a year of eligiblity that's on him. 

Isn't that the type of game the recruits were sold on in playing in and turning this program around?

That’s an easy critique to make, when your aren’t the one with anything at stake though.

• Like 1