SiouxSports.com Forum

Playoff Time

geaux_sioux

22 hours ago, VMeister said:

NDSU has gotten exponentially better; UND hasn’t improved a bit. 

Got it. 

21 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Just saying I wouldn’t play Holm unless he wanted to and preserve his year of eligibility. Don’t question his heart if he wanted to play another year. Even if they get by NDSU, the chances of UND winning a national title THIS YEAR, not saying ever, are not very good.

I didn’t offer an opinion on whether or not he should play. You stated that NDSU could hang 50 on UND, whether or not he played, after already failing to do so without him playing.  

And you did all of this 24 hours after hanging 21 points on the 6th place defense in the MVFC, who averages giving up 23 points a game.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

First of all we will need to play our best game of the year to beat Nicholls St. Fortunately, the players are focused on the Nicholls game and only the Nicholls game. Fans and media look ahead and of course should we not win, the media and others will claim they were looking ahead. 

Having said that, most important would be Nicholls then whomever we would play next if we are fortunate enough to escape with a win against Nicholls. Most important because we are FCS and most importantly for FCS teams are playoffs and National Championships. The signature win would be KState cuz they are very good and it would garner National attention and comments. Recruiting would benefit if kids see the quality of FB is on par with some very good FBS teams. 

Now back to Nicholls. This game is a tossup.  They should be a slight favorite cuz they are at home. I know there is at least one poster with little, if any, respect for those who have come before,  but once in the playoffs,  anything can happen. Ask guys from the top rated UND team in 1975 when they were schooled by an Alabama Livingston team that barely made the playoffs and everyone said wouldn’t be able to play in the cold weather. 

We need to play mistake free, turnover free, penalty free m, disciplined, physical FB to win this game but we are good enough to win it. 

That Livingston game will be hard to forget!  We were behind at half but still in the game.  I think we all thought we would come back to win it.  The second half started good with us moving the ball.  Then Kasowski had a 40-50 yard run that was called back due to a clip (or hold).    The game was pretty much over after that....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GeauxSioux said:

I remember the game and the headline the following day “Snow Job”.  The people from Alabama played up how they couldn’t play in cold weather. After living in the south for 30 years, I now know, yes it does get cold and northern Alabama does get snow. 

Pre-game their coach told media they had put away their equipment thinking they had no chance at playoffs. He also commented they were just happy to be in playoffs and didn’t think they had much chance and just wanted to be respectful against huge oline,  two 225lb RB’s and #1 NDak. We didn’t play well and they won. Wasn’t close. Arguably most disappointing loss in UND history. 

There seems to be many parallels between the Livingston St game and the upcoming Nicholls St game.

Livingston St, now U of West Alabama, is located in one of the poorest regions in Alabama, has less than 5000 students, and under a million in endowment now, but is in the shadow of Tuscaloosa.  Really shocked at the lack of new buildings and mostly decrepit campus there after driving through.

Nicholls St has been majorly hurt by Louisiana’s lack of support for its colleges other than LSU.  That region seems to be Cajun Country but LSU is also close.  It has less than $10 million in endowment and under 7000 students.  For it to be DI almost decades before UND shows the athletic priorities in the South.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

There seems to be many parallels between the Livingston St game and the upcoming Nicholls St game.

Livingston St, now U of West Alabama, is located in one of the poorest regions in Alabama, has less than 5000 students, and under a million in endowment now, but is in the shadow of Tuscaloosa.  Really shocked at the lack of new buildings and mostly decrepit campus there after driving through.

Nicholls St has been majorly hurt by Louisiana’s lack of support for its colleges other than LSU.  That region seems to be Cajun Country but LSU is also close.  It has less than $10 million in endowment and under 7000 students.  For it to be DI almost decades before UND shows the athletic priorities in the South.

Only you would compare the endowments of two schools when talking about the similarities between two teams 44 years apart.

6 hours ago, southpaw said:

Only you would compare the endowments of two schools when talking about the similarities between two teams 44 years apart.

West Alabama can't go DI like Troy, Jacksonville St, and North Alabama because they don't have any money from their fan base.  Those are the four formerly normal schools in Alabama.

All of them were in the Gulf South conference as well as Nicholls St.  Nicholls is an order of magnitude richer that West Alabama.

As typical, you don't see any correlation between ability to pay for facilities and long term success.  After all, endowment doesn't matter to AFA.  Troy has gone FBS for nearly two decades because they had big boosters, but that doesn't matter in your mind.

58 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

West Alabama can't go DI like Troy, Jacksonville St, and North Alabama because they don't have any money from their fan base.  Those are the four formerly normal schools in Alabama.

All of them were in the Gulf South conference as well as Nicholls St.  Nicholls is an order of magnitude richer that West Alabama.

As typical, you don't see any correlation between ability to pay for facilities and long term success.  After all, endowment doesn't matter to AFA.  Troy has gone FBS for nearly two decades because they had big boosters, but that doesn't matter in your mind.

Troy has a very nice campus

10 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

As typical, you don't see any correlation between ability to pay for facilities and long term success.

No, what I don't see is how anything you said in your post shows parallels between a UND vs Livingston St game in 1975 and this weekend's game. 

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

No, what I don't see is how anything you said in your post shows parallels between a UND vs Livingston St game in 1975 and this weekend's game. 

So typical that you don't have a creative thought in your little mind.

Livingston had to overcome frigid temperatures.  UND will have to overcome 3rd world conditions in their locker room.

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So typical that you don't have a creative thought in your little mind.

Livingston had to overcome frigid temperatures.  UND will have to overcome 3rd world conditions in their locker room.

Apologies, I didn't come to the logical conclusion that playing in freezing temperatures is similar to getting dressed in a tent before the game. Clearly, those are similar. 

On 11/25/2019 at 8:32 PM, VMeister said:

I didn’t offer an opinion on whether or not he should play. You stated that NDSU could hang 50 on UND, whether or not he played, after already failing to do so without him playing.  

And you did all of this 24 hours after hanging 21 points on the 6th place defense in the MVFC, who averages giving up 23 points a game.  

i think I said 40, but whatever. And yes, NDSU only scored 21 and 22 against MSU and SIU. It is hard to get up for every game when  even if your opponents see it as their biggest game of the year. I know UND fans mock that, but ask most of NDSU's opponents and they would tell you it is. I would guess you could ask most of UND players and they would say the same. They did not play exceptionally well in either game. But UND allowed 38 points and almost 500 yards to Northern Colorado just a couple of weeks ago with their season on the line at home. If UNC can score 38 my guess is NDSU will also. NDSU will be favored by 28 and UND fans will be offended and say there is no way they can lose by that much, until Sunday morning. 

On 11/25/2019 at 8:06 PM, GeauxSioux said:

I remember the game and the headline the following day “Snow Job”.  The people from Alabama played up how they couldn’t play in cold weather. After living in the south for 30 years, I now know, yes it does get cold and northern Alabama does get snow. 

Crazy part of that Livingston team is that the next week they took eventual national champion Northern Michigan down to the wire only losing by 2 points in the semifinals at a neutral site.

Livingston is still a bad word around my dad.  Was a student at the time and can talk about that game like it was yesterday. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Crazy part of that Livingston team is that the next week they took eventual national champion Northern Michigan down to the wire only losing by 2 points in the semifinals at a neutral site.

Livingston is still a bad word around my dad.  Was a student at the time and can talk about that game like it was yesterday. 

Steve Mariucci was NMichigan QB. He coached under Gene Murphy at Cal State Fullerton. We went back to their coaches offices after Murphy’s funeral a few years ago and reminisced about the 1975 playoffs. He is a great guy.