SiouxSports.com Forum

Playoff Time

geaux_sioux

23 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

I usually ignore the game threads because of the level of snarky anger, and opinions based emotion and not logic. It’s frustrating for me to read that level of negativity, so I normally skip those threads. But I naively thought that this thread would be a happy celebration of a achievement that’s only happened twice in our D 1 history, about a team that won four of their last five and only lost by 3 to a seeded playoff team on the road to earn a playoff berth.  Perfect? Obviously not - much to be improved with this team and program. But I thought today was a day to celebrate a significant accomplishment and look ahead to a team we know nothing about. But for you, and some others, it’s just another day to complain. Can’t we have one bitch free day? Just one? Please?

We should not have been waiting until Sunday to find out if we were in the playoffs. The blunders this year cannot be forgotten just because we snuck into the playoffs. I am happy about our draw though except for the fact we have to play the #1 if we win. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, darell1976 said:

So when (yes when) we win on Saturday and play the Bison the following week, if we win, would that be our signature win in since joining DI? 

No, only a step in the right direction. We haven’t had a “signature win” yet. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Really? 

National title will be our “signature win” when we get that done. Win over top 20 FBS team would do it. Win over another FCS team that is defending champ would mean we are back where we should be. No big argument against those who disagree, just my opinion on where we need to be. 

40 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

We should not have been waiting until Sunday to find out if we were in the playoffs. The blunders this year cannot be forgotten just because we snuck into the playoffs. I am happy about our draw though except for the fact we have to play the #1 if we win. 

Not dissing you - just discussing if we "snuck" in. Starting the season it was projected that a UND record of 7-4 with our schedule would get us in. Yes we weren't  in the week before projections of the online experts but that was because they claimed they were showing teams based on their current record at the time. We finished the season the way we should have and we got in (and it was not the 24th spot), I don't feel we snuck in.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

He does give us the best opportunity but if we beat Nichols and he decides to sit out against NDSU because he wants a full season I respect that.

He may want a full season to show what he can do in front of NFL scouts. After this year of injury he isn’t even on the radar. Let him do what’s best for him. Either way UND will benefit from another game or another season.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

National title will be our “signature win” when we get that done. Win over top 20 FBS team would do it. Win over another FCS team that is defending champ would mean we are back where we should be. No big argument against those who disagree, just my opinion on where we need to be. 

Bigger win:

Beating NDSU in 2 weeks or K State next fall? 

11 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Not dissing you - just discussing if we "snuck" in. Starting the season it was projected that a UND record of 7-4 with our schedule would get us in. Yes we weren't  in the week before projections of the online experts but that was because they claimed they were showing teams based on their current record at the time. We finished the season the way we should have and we got in (and it was not the 24th spot), I don't feel we snuck in.  

We win at ISU or hold off Weber when we should have won both and we are not guessing on Sunday. For this team to be elite we can’t lose those games. I’m glad we made it but we had the potential to be elite and have a seed.

im glad we snuck in and we can revive the season by winning this week. We need this for our program and future cred.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Bigger win:

Beating NDSU in 2 weeks or K State next fall? 

First of all we will need to play our best game of the year to beat Nicholls St. Fortunately, the players are focused on the Nicholls game and only the Nicholls game. Fans and media look ahead and of course should we not win, the media and others will claim they were looking ahead. 

Having said that, most important would be Nicholls then whomever we would play next if we are fortunate enough to escape with a win against Nicholls. Most important because we are FCS and most importantly for FCS teams are playoffs and National Championships. The signature win would be KState cuz they are very good and it would garner National attention and comments. Recruiting would benefit if kids see the quality of FB is on par with some very good FBS teams. 

Now back to Nicholls. This game is a tossup.  They should be a slight favorite cuz they are at home. I know there is at least one poster with little, if any, respect for those who have come before,  but once in the playoffs,  anything can happen. Ask guys from the top rated UND team in 1975 when they were schooled by an Alabama Livingston team that barely made the playoffs and everyone said wouldn’t be able to play in the cold weather. 

We need to play mistake free, turnover free, penalty free m, disciplined, physical FB to win this game but we are good enough to win it. 

45 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

First of all we will need to play our best game of the year to beat Nicholls St. Fortunately, the players are focused on the Nicholls game and only the Nicholls game. Fans and media look ahead and of course should we not win, the media and others will claim they were looking ahead. 

Having said that, most important would be Nicholls then whomever we would play next if we are fortunate enough to escape with a win against Nicholls. Most important because we are FCS and most importantly for FCS teams are playoffs and National Championships. The signature win would be KState cuz they are very good and it would garner National attention and comments. Recruiting would benefit if kids see the quality of FB is on par with some very good FBS teams. 

Now back to Nicholls. This game is a tossup.  They should be a slight favorite cuz they are at home. I know there is at least one poster with little, if any, respect for those who have come before,  but once in the playoffs,  anything can happen. Ask guys from the top rated UND team in 1975 when they were schooled by an Alabama Livingston team that barely made the playoffs and everyone said wouldn’t be able to play in the cold weather. 

We need to play mistake free, turnover free, penalty free m, disciplined, physical FB to win this game but we are good enough to win it. 

That's all I was looking for. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

So true the '75 game was over looked and a shocker.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

I remember the game and the headline the following day “Snow Job”.  The people from Alabama played up how they couldn’t play in cold weather. After living in the south for 30 years, I now know, yes it does get cold and northern Alabama does get snow. 

I remember Livingston claimed they didn't expect to get in and had already turned in their equipment.  They insinuated that it was a big struggle to get the team back together to play.