SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching staff

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Bubba isn't going anywhere this season despite that appearing to be the common go-to around here. There's about $400K reasons why. And while I'm not saying he's the answer or not, he's far from incompetent. How the rest of this season plays out will have a large part in how long or short the leash is for next season.

You are probably correct that Bubba is head coach in 2020 ($384K reasons). 

Is the decision itself to keep Bubba (independent of finances) correct, though? Based on 2014 to now (winning 52% of games), I would say the correct decision is for UND to part ways with Bubba Schweigert. Does UND expect to win 52% of the games it plays or should UND - given its tradition, fan support, and facilities - expect to win more than 52%? That is a very important question that needs to be answered by UND leadership with influence from donors. 

With that said, there are still games left on the 2019 schedule. UND has a chance to still make 2019 FCS playoffs. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/football/4723621-McFeely-Seven-words-from-UNDs-Schweigert-spark-intrigue

I hate McFeely with a passion, largely because he is incredibly biased towards NDSU. Furthermore, he writes articles like the one above to subtly criticize UND while attempting to appear neutral in stance; it is pathetic. He deserves to be hated. 

With that said, the article does highlight some objective points. Namely that UND would have to pay Bubba $383,750 for 2020 and 2021 if he is fired after this season. Chaves would have to circumvent some barriers to make a new hire possible and I don’t know how aggressive Chaves is willing to be. Some on here, who certainly must know him better than me, appear to believe Chaves has big plans for UND football. I sure hope ...

Let’s see how 2019 finishes up for UND. There certainly still is a chance for playoffs and happiness amongst UND fans. 

He should reunite with Lennon at Mary.  Bagnell could use the mentorship.  Call it Defensive Coordinator and Associate Head Coach.   

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Is the decision itself to keep Bubba (independent of finances) correct, though?

In reality, it doesn't really matter whether it is or not because you can't ignore the finance portion of the equation. All that leads to a bunch of people being upset because they aren't going to get a knee-jerk reaction that ignores what the AD is actually dealing with. 

33 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

With that said, there are still games left on the 2019 schedule. UND has a chance to still make 2019 FCS playoffs. 

Agree 100% with this. They just need to get out of their own way and show they can win a road game (two preferably).

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

I would say incompetent is an extremely accurate term given the lack of consistent success this program has had during his tenure. Seems like a nice guy, but the product is what it is, and it is not good. Winning a few decent games, and dropping some terrible ones should not be the standard for this program.

in·com·pe·tent
/inˈkämpədənt/
adjective
  1. not having or showing the necessary skills to do something successfully.

He's made the playoffs (should be twice), so he has shown that he has the skills to do it, which is where I take issue with your desrciption. No on will argue that consistency has been the big issue, need to quit ruining their own momentum. They managed to do it in 2016, we'd all like to see that again. No argument on a lot to be desired but your description is off base.

23 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

He's made the playoffs (should be twice), so he has shown that he has the skills to do it, which is where I take issue with your desrciption. No on will argue that consistency has been the big issue, need to quit ruining their own momentum. They managed to do it in 2016, we'd all like to see that again. No argument on a lot to be desired but your description is off base.

Just like the financial piece can't be ignored, the reality of the results can't be ignored. Bubba has made the playoffs one time in 5 seasons, not twice. He would have made it in 2015 if the team wasn't inconsistent, just like what @siouxfan512 stated. The 2015 home loss to Idaho State (a team that only won 2 games) was awful. It has been a recurring theme under Bubba's leadership. Bubba is NOT able to motivate his team following a big win. They have consistently been susceptible to big letdowns. 

As for the description of incompetent, it is what is it. Bubba has not shown the skills necessary to win a playoff game for UND (nonetheless consistently get there), and if winning a playoff game is the benchmark for success as head football coach at UND, then Bubba is therefore incompetent. 

• Upvote 2

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Coaching staff
29 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

In reality, it doesn't really matter whether it is or not because you can't ignore the finance portion of the equation. All that leads to a bunch of people being upset because they aren't going to get a knee-jerk reaction that ignores what the AD is actually dealing with.

We found the money to buy out Mussman back in 2013. Or were you against that too?

You like to claim you don't like the way things are right now, but you don't come up with any ideas of how to make things better. If people think you like the status quo, that is why they think that. And you just LOVE to rip on others when they brainstorm on this forum. Well, you better get used to that, because that is part of what a discussion forum is for.

Bottom line: We have botched this Division I move and we need to figure out how to fix it as soon as possible. Or all people will think of when they think of North Dakota is Bison, Bison, Bison.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

We found the money to buy out Mussman back in 2013. Or were you against that too?

You like to claim you don't like the way things are right now, but you don't come up with any ideas of how to make things better. If people think you like the status quo, that is why they think that. And you just LOVE to rip on others when they brainstorm on this forum. Well, you better get used to that, because that is part of what a discussion forum is for.

Bottom line: We have botched this Division I move and we need to figure out how to fix it as soon as possible. Or all people will think of when they think of North Dakota is Bison, Bison, Bison.

Money was found to buyout the final year of Mussman's contract, which totaled $175K at the time (UND ended up paying less). That is less than half of what a buyout would require at the end of the season. I'm sorry if you can't comprehend that difference. 

Just because I am not carrying a pitchfork demanding a coach be fired mid-season, doesn't mean I'm satisfied, but HUGE surprise you had to toss a comment about status-quo in there. I pass my suggestions through to the people that I think can actually make changes. Whether they make any impact or not, I don't know. I do guarantee it does more good than shouting into the abyss on here. However, apparently the discussion/brainstorming you are so proud of can only be one-sided? Or maybe you should get used to not everyone agreeing with your stance? Or isn't there room for alternate commentary, I mean it is a discussion forum?

Speaking of, since you're so against the status quo, I'm sure you've finally taken time to email the AD with your thoughts and concerns by now? It is the least you could do for someone so fed up and "refuses to accept" where things are at.

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Just because I am not carrying a pitchfork demanding a coach be fired mid-season, doesn't mean I'm satisfied, but HUGE surprise you had to toss a comment about status-quo in there. I pass my suggestions through to the people that I think can actually make changes. Whether they make any impact or not, I don't know. I do guarantee it does more good than shouting into the abyss on here. However, apparently the discussion/brainstorming you are so proud of can only be one-sided? Or maybe you should get used to not everyone agreeing with your stance? Or isn't there room for alternate commentary, I mean it is a discussion forum?

Actually, I don't blame Bubba as much as I blame the lack of leadership over the past 10 years at UND. That is the root of the problem. But Bubba does deserve some of the blame for losing to bad teams on a regular basis.

I really don't care if people agree with my posts or not. What I don't like is people that rip me, but then have no alternate theories and/or ideas as to why things are as bleeped up as they are.

The next UND Presidential hire will be critical for all aspects of this university (athletics, academics AND research). And we better get it right this time.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I really don't care if people agree with my posts or not. What I don't like is people that rip me, but then have no alternate theories and/or ideas as to why things are as bleeped up as they are.

Based on your responses, it sure seems like you care what others think. Which is why I find it so amusing that you apparently don't have enough conviction behind your "refusal to accept" things how they are to contact the people who actually can do something about it.

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/football/4723621-McFeely-Seven-words-from-UNDs-Schweigert-spark-intrigue

I hate McFeely with a passion, largely because he is incredibly biased towards NDSU. Furthermore, he writes articles like the one above to subtly criticize UND while attempting to appear neutral in stance; it is pathetic. He deserves to be hated. 

With that said, the article does highlight some objective points. Namely that UND would have to pay Bubba $383,750 for 2020 and 2021 if he is fired after this season. Chaves would have to circumvent some barriers to make a new hire possible and I don’t know how aggressive Chaves is willing to be. Some on here, who certainly must know him better than me, appear to believe Chaves has big plans for UND football. I sure hope ...

Let’s see how 2019 finishes up for UND. There certainly still is a chance for playoffs and happiness amongst UND fans. 

Reading the article... that long and in depth ( even Bubba’s contract) makes me wonder what is really happening at JuiceU.... I mean, aren’t they on another run for a natty? Shouldn’t they be promoting  the hallowed Bison and not worrying about UND? Something is not being reported.... stir up Sioux stuff and divert attention from the wining Bison? WEIRD!

18 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Reading the article... that long and in depth ( even Bubba’s contract) makes me wonder what is really happening at JuiceU.... I mean, aren’t they on another run for a natty? Shouldn’t they be promoting  the hallowed Bison and not worrying about UND? Something is not being reported.... stir up Sioux stuff and divert attention from the wining Bison? WEIRD!

McFeely will say anything to get a rise out of people and get them talking.

Its a tactic used far too often in the media in 2019. These people’s “opinions”can rarely be taken seriously. I’d be surprised if he believed half the things he wrote.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I have no problem with that article, it's all true.

And i completly agree with "Perhaps it would've behooved Schweigert and his staff to stress the extreme importance of last week's game against an Idaho State program that is wholly mediocre and hasn't reached the FCS postseason since 1983. "

Guessing the problem is that he is based in Fargo and extremely pro-Bison... but he isn’t saying anything that hasn’t been discussed (at some serious length) on this forum other than to post Bubba’s contract, which seems excessive.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

After you read a Mcfooly clickbait.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mama Sue said:

Honestly with all of that winning, McFeely is probably bored to tears and reaching for something to stir up.  

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

McFeely will say anything to get a rise out of people and get them talking.

Its a tactic used far too often in the media in 2019. These people’s “opinions”can rarely be taken seriously. I’d be surprised if he believed half the things he wrote.

His main problem is he is condescending and smug and thinks he is the smartest guy in every room he walks into. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Its funny when the Fargo media has time to write up stuff like this on UND yet completely ignores when a local kid "leaves" the NDSU team for unannounced reasons. For how much they dug into Weah's eligibility and claimed it was news because of the "local" angle, you'd think they'd take a least a cursory glance when something happens with the local kids in Fargo.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, petey23 said:

His main problem is he is condescending and smug and thinks he is the smartest guy in every room he walks into. 

look up the meaning of narcissist and his picture will appear.

i don’t know how the forum can keep him on.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Its funny when the Fargo media has time to write up stuff like this on UND yet completely ignores when a local kid "leaves" the NDSU team for unannounced reasons. For how much they dug into Weah's eligibility and claimed it was news because of the "local" angle, you'd think they'd take a least a cursory glance when something happens with the local kids in Fargo.

Did I miss something?  Who left?