SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching staff

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Row the boat ring a bell 

Please, no.  I don’t want the next PJ Fleck gimmick.  I’m fine with a Hawk on the helmets...keep “Brick by Brick,” “Row the Boat,” or whatever silly slogan the next coach comes up with OFF of them.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

They're all but guaranteed a bowl. Granted, about 85% of FBS teams seem to make a bowl these days

Fleck will win enough games to have an appeal in the market, he will leave that program in better shape than he found it, and he will move on to bigger things.  Wouldn't that be a nice to problem to have.  Hasn't been the case here since...Gene Murphy I'd say.  Wow.   

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Fleck will win enough games to have an appeal in the market, he will leave that program in better shape than he found it, and he will move on to bigger things.  Wouldn't that be a nice to problem to have.  Hasn't been the case here since...Gene Murphy I'd say.  Wow.   

Dale Lennon.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I just hope they all stay when Bubba gets canned.

That's a very good point and one that needs consideration.

The last couple of groups have provided hope. That includes this class. Hard to see them staying if the guy in charge is gone.

19 minutes ago, shep said:

The last couple of groups have provided hope. That includes this class. Hard to see them staying if the guy in charge is gone.

I understand the hesitation but if a coach is truly not the guy you don’t keep him because of this unknown recruiting class. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 9:21 PM, tnt said:

Good coaches always start out somewhere.  Just need to find an up and comer that can change the culture of mediocrity.  

A good coach will want and need to be able to sell the program to quality recruits with facilities, scholarship money, and the ability to pay top shelf assistants that will do much of the teaching and mentoring good money. The strength and nutrition program is currently lacking at UND. Kids need to be able to eat body building foods during the day. Many have commented that our opponents look bigger, stronger and faster which establishes the nexus to strength, nutrition and recovery.

22 minutes ago, northernraider said:

When it comes to S&C we need someone dedicated to just football. Our current coach splits between football and women's basketball. Let Will Ratelle take over as football only, we have seen how well that man can put in muscle. 

and Ratelle is a strength and conditioning disciple of?  Whom did he work with to change his body?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, shep said:

True, but you can't keep an incompetent coach just to retain players either. That is a great recipe for more mediocrity.

That is where Chaves will earn his money. Have a plan, move quick, and let the new coach retain as much as he can/wants.

• Upvote 1

My short list:

-Todd from Mankato (top pick)

-Wesley Beschorner.  FBS coaching experience, family in ND.

-Wise 

-Deboer (zero chance....)

-Dabo 

-Saban 

An honorable mention has to go to PJ Fleck's wife.  She could recruit some kids to come here. 

50 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

True, but you can't keep an incompetent coach just to retain players either. That is a great recipe for more mediocrity.

That is where Chaves will earn his money. Have a plan, move quick, and let the new coach retain as much as he can/wants.

Bubba isn't going anywhere this season despite that appearing to be the common go-to around here. There's about $400K reasons why. And while I'm not saying he's the answer or not, he's far from incompetent. How the rest of this season plays out will have a large part in how long or short the leash is for next season.

42 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Bubba isn't going anywhere this season despite that appearing to be the common go-to around here. There's about $400K reasons why. And while I'm not saying he's the answer or not, he's far from incompetent. How the rest of this season plays out will have a large part in how long or short the leash is for next season.

I would say incompetent is an extremely accurate term given the lack of consistent success this program has had during his tenure. Seems like a nice guy, but the product is what it is, and it is not good. Winning a few decent games, and dropping some terrible ones should not be the standard for this program.

in·com·pe·tent
/inˈkämpədənt/
adjective
  1. not having or showing the necessary skills to do something successfully.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Mcfooley weighing in on our coach makes me want to keep bubba.

https://www.inforum.com/sports/football/4723621-McFeely-Seven-words-from-UNDs-Schweigert-spark-intrigue

I hate McFeely with a passion, largely because he is incredibly biased towards NDSU. Furthermore, he writes articles like the one above to subtly criticize UND while attempting to appear neutral in stance; it is pathetic. He deserves to be hated. 

With that said, the article does highlight some objective points. Namely that UND would have to pay Bubba $383,750 for 2020 and 2021 if he is fired after this season. Chaves would have to circumvent some barriers to make a new hire possible and I don’t know how aggressive Chaves is willing to be. Some on here, who certainly must know him better than me, appear to believe Chaves has big plans for UND football. I sure hope ...

Let’s see how 2019 finishes up for UND. There certainly still is a chance for playoffs and happiness amongst UND fans. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

My short list:

-Todd from Mankato (top pick)

-Wesley Beschorner.  FBS coaching experience, family in ND.

-Wise 

-Deboer (zero chance....)

-Dabo 

-Saban 

An honorable mention has to go to PJ Fleck's wife.  She could recruit some kids to come here. 

At this time, my top choice would also be Todd Hoffner. Convincing winning percentage as head coach at Minnesota State-Mankato and he is originally from North Dakota. I don’t know what his interest level would be (perhaps some on here know), but I would have to think UND would have a good shot if Chaves offered him the job. 

https://msumavericks.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/todd-hoffner/1010

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Hoffner

12 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/football/4723621-McFeely-Seven-words-from-UNDs-Schweigert-spark-intrigue

I hate McFeely with a passion, largely because he is incredibly biased towards NDSU. Furthermore, he writes articles like the one above to subtly criticize UND while attempting to appear neutral in stance; it is pathetic. He deserves to be hated. 

With that said, the article does highlight some objective points. Namely that UND would have to pay Bubba $383,750 for 2020 and 2021 if he is fired after this season. Chaves would have to circumvent some barriers to make a new hire possible and I don’t know how aggressive Chaves is willing to be. Some on here, who certainly must know him better than me, appear to believe Chaves has big plans for UND football. I sure hope ...

Let’s see how 2019 finishes up for UND. There certainly still is a chance for playoffs and happiness amongst UND fans. 

We came up with the money to buy out Mussman. Anybody know how much that cost?

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

At this time, my top choice would also be Todd Hoffner. Convincing winning percentage as head coach at Minnesota State-Mankato and he is originally from North Dakota. I don’t know what his interest level would be (perhaps some on here know), but I would have to think UND would have a good shot if Chaves offered him the job. 

https://msumavericks.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/todd-hoffner/1010

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Hoffner

If I remember correctly when he was on leave of absence from Mankato he applied to Minot State and was offered.  Shortly after being offer the situation in Mankato was corrected and he became HC again.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

If I remember correctly when he was on leave of absence from Mankato he applied to Minot State and was offered.  Shortly after being offer the situation in Mankato was corrected and he became HC again.

In January 2014, he was hired by Minot State University to serve as their head football coach.[2] In April 2014, Hoffner was reinstated in his position at Minnesota State after an arbitrator ruled in his favor.[3]

You are correct. This was also when he would have applied for the UND head coach job which ultimately was awarded to Bubba. The above quote is in the Wiki article. 

• Upvote 1