SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching staff

geaux_sioux

14 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

This isn't talked about enough. They aren't all on board, imo.

Not only that but I have been very disappointed in the lack of response or slow response to inquiries.  Earl Strinden never once failed to communicate and always followed up when he said he would. This was back when I was donating $25 per year. Their standard excuse is that they are limited due to donations being restricted by donors.  I have trouble believing that in the $325 million from the spirit campaign there wasn’t at least $25 million in unrestricted donations.  The other idea I suggested was paying for Phase 2 with Foundation funds that could be recouped from donors over 10-15 yrs. I got the same response about restricted funds. 

I donated to the help Bubba campaign... $100 to each of the three funds... I got THREE have written thank yous from alumni staff and football staff, including a hand written thank you from Bubba. I was impressed. 
Then I got 2 postcards... preprinted on what looked to be UND logos... requesting donations to individual students.... one in nursing (coincidence?) and one who was homeless and living in his car. So what was that? I checked my bank account to make sure I hadn’t signed up for some automatic withdrawal.

It is always about money Phase II, coaches salaries, scholarships, etc.

28 minutes ago, LH Golfer said:

Nobody from NDSU? Really?

Dean Blais played for the Gophers, that seemed to work out pretty well. Get the best coaches, no matter what their pedigree.

I agree. *IF* the head coach position for UND football becomes available, the search committee and Bill Chaves need to consider all options, including those affiliated with the dynasty that is NDSU football.

With UND’s limited football funding and facilities, UND has to compensate by bringing in energetic, potential-filled candidates who have not already plateaued and then ultimately hire someone who is looking to take that next step in their progression as a leader.   

On that note, although Bubba is a great guy and tremendous with UND alumni, I question his leadership and motivation skills with young men. The lack of consistency with his teams demonstrate this. He has had capable teams with good student-athletes (and yes, I would like the talent to also get better), but the consistency and critical gametime decision-making has been lacking. 

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree. *IF* the head coach position for UND football becomes available, the search committee and Bill Chaves need to consider all options, including those affiliated with the dynasty that is NDSU football.

With UND’s limited football funding and facilities, UND has to compensate by bringing in energetic, potential-filled candidates who have not already plateaued and then ultimately hire someone who is looking to take that next step in their progression as a leader.   

Agreed.  Realistically the NDSU options would boil down to the legacy Northern Iowa guys or coaches who played outside their program.  I don't see their former players coming here.   

5 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

Agreed.  Realistically the NDSU options would boil down to the legacy Northern Iowa guys or coaches who played outside their program.  I don't see their former players coming here.   

I agree. I can’t see Roehl ever coaching at UND. Not sure you would want him. I am not sure I am convinced about his play calling yet. I can predict 80% of his plays because they are 80% runs between the tackles, especially when protecting any kind of a lead. UNI has 9 in the box several times before the game was decided and they still ran it. 

2 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I agree. I can’t see Roehl ever coaching at UND. Not sure you would want him. I am not sure I am convinced about his play calling yet. I can predict 80% of his plays because they are 80% runs between the tackles, especially when protecting any kind of a lead. UNI has 9 in the box several times before the game was decided and they still ran it. 

Rudy 2.0? LOL Just kidding, there is no way Roehl is that bad.

9 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

All of this...and yet NDSU still ran for 347 yards and scored 46 points in beating the #10 team in the country by 32...

It doesn't matter how many people can predict a play when you're opponent still can't stop it...Execution > Creativity in my book!

1 minute ago, UND08 said:

All of this...and yet NDSU still ran for 347 yards and scored 46 points in beating the #10 team in the country by 32...

It doesn't matter how many people can predict a play when you still can't stop it...Execution > Creativity in my book!

But there will be a game or two this year when it will be tied or less than a one score game and 3rd and two and he will run up the middle to a ten man box and won’t get it, and do the same on 4th and one.

36 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I hate to pick on a fellow Bison fan, but this is a very “fan” thing to say.

A “run between the tackles” can be run about a dozen different ways by changing blocking schemes, lead blockers formations, etc. Each of these are a different look for the defense and need to be played different. 

NDSU’s bread and butter will always be the   A gap power. When it’s working our offensive lineman have fun telling the other team we are running it. Good luck stopping it. 

Tyler has been doing a hell of a job if you ask me.

6 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Name an NDSU alum coach who would ever apply to UND. They don’t exist.

14 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

Whoever comes in would need more resources than the current staff has to sign the kind of kids needed to turn it around and raise the bar at UND. ESPN U has a good piece on tonight focused on recruiting in college. It takes $$$$ to get good coaches and players in today's game.

Good coaches always start out somewhere.  Just need to find an up and comer that can change the culture of mediocrity.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

But there will be a game or two this year when it will be tied or less than a one score game and 3rd and two and he will run up the middle to a ten man box and won’t get it, and do the same on 4th and one.

And at that point of the season...you'll be able to evaluate his "under pressure play-calling abilities"...but for now he seems to be getting the job done just fine!

That being said...I agree with others here that Roehl isn't coming here at any time.  I for one hope that if a change is made that we cast a really wide net to find the best possible candidate...whomever that may be!  Maybe more important...when that candidate is found...I hope the athletic department can find the resources to provide the tools needed for that candidate to succeed!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

All of the above.

I have a hard believing the coaches are instilling into their players a culture of mediocrity.  Perhaps I'm wrong.  It will interesting to see what happens from here on out.

Dan Hawkins of UC Davis is an example of a coach we need.  Continuously make major adjustments during a game and do something unconventional on occasion.  Not afraid of change and gets the players excited by his approach.

Bubba doesn’t seem the least bit flexible in his approach because he believes that his path way is the only winning way.  Little adjustments, no flexibity in approach and by the end of the year teams have figured out what’s needed to beat UND.  And it’s only lack of execution of his system that got his team losing.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Coaching staff