SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching staff

geaux_sioux

14 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Oh. That's right. It's a fan forum.  All you need is a moniker, and a password and you are a football expert.  My bad. That's the "fun" of sites like this. How stupid of me. Why stop at football. Next up, fightingsioux4life on the perils of multi national market diversity in a third world economy.  I will hang up and listen. Bless your hearts.

Miralax is over the counter.......go get a bottle.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Stockdamhockey said:

Not sure where the '14s fall in, some may be Muss, some may be Bubba. But after '14, its all the current staff. Uh oh, a couple All-Americans in there. But why mess up a good post with facts?

QB Keaton Studsrud

TE Luke Fiedler

OL/DL Austin Cieslak

DE Brandon Dranka

DE Drew Greely

LB Dylan Bakker

CB Deion Harris

PK Reid Tauberheim

WR Luke Stanley

RB Brady Oliviera

WR John Santiago

OG Patric Rooney

OT Bryce Blair

DL Steve Greer

OLB Mason Bennett

OLB Jade Lawrence

S Zach Arnell

S Jawon Johnson

WR Travis Toivonen

WR Noah Wanzek

TE Alex Cloyd

OC Nathan Nguon,

OG Ryan Tobin

LB Jaxson Turner, 

S Jordan Canady

CB Evan Holm

So now Bubba is Mr. Stud Recruiter?    Then why can't he make the playoffs with all those outstanding players?  I'll hang up and listen.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

So now Bubba is Mr. Stud Recruiter?    Then why can't he make the playoffs with all those outstanding players?  I'll hang up and listen.

Listing around 8 guys each from three recruiting classes as being decent means the majority of each class isn’t worth mentioning 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Stockdamhockey said:

And your credentials,  other than being king of this sh&$show?

Perhaps you need to tell us more of your thoughts and discuss rather than just attack posters on the site. Discussion and debate does not include individual criticism and backlash; that is simply diversion.

Most, if not all, who post here are not “football experts” with pristine credentials. That said, they are passionate enough about UND football to discuss the program and suggest ways to improve. I would much rather it be this way than pure apathy or simply deferment to those with “credentials”.  It means there is still pride and a will for excellence amongst UND fans and supporters. 

When people stop posting about solutions on this site, including coaching alternatives, then I would be significantly more worried. 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, bison73 said:

Please explain and be specific. 

I have listed my thoughts before....

There are many similarities today with where we were with Mussman.  

There is not an effort the the PII facility.

The sponsorship/home game experience has changed.... not for the better.

Coaching salaries have been discussed by people who know more than I.

The football fundraising has been successful on this site.... not sure about other ways.

So I just see us slipping into a dismal black hole and would like that turned around...it is up to admin to do that... AD probably. Bubba coaches he should NOT have to babysit. There needs to be some support for UND football somewhere besides the locker room.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

I have listed my thoughts before....

There are many similarities today with where we were with Mussman.  

There is not an effort the the PII facility.

The sponsorship/home game experience has changed.... not for the better.

Coaching salaries have been discussed by people who know more than I.

The football fundraising has been successful on this site.... not sure about other ways.

So I just see us slipping into a dismal black hole and would like that turned around...it is up to admin to do that... AD probably. Bubba coaches he should NOT have to babysit. There needs to be some support for UND football somewhere besides the locker room.

Thank you Mama Sue. Great to see some common sense on here. See my thoughts below.

7 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

"Solutions" You are delusional. You offer nothing. There is no value in an anonymous critic or critique. Period. And before everyone points out hypocrisy. Again, I am playing by the rules of the forum. When in Rome.

Before I begin, YES I HAVE DONE EACH OF WHAT I AM ABOUT TO SUGGEST.

Here's my thoughts. Step out from behind the moniker and visit with administration. Ask them why our players dress in a facility built just after WWI. Ask them why our coaches are still in Memorial. (Have any of you been in there lately.) Ask them why our locker room, weight room, and practice facility are in three separate locations which adds time and health issues (sweaty players, ND winter). Ask them why, even after the DI move, The Ralph still gets the majority of football ticket revenue. Ask them how a football program exists without even a receptionist or any other support staff to open mail, send mail, greet visitors.  Ask them why we have a skeleton media relations staff for football --- even at Hockey rich UND, football should be #2, but looking at how prominent/accessible football content is, is it? Hard to find UND football outside of Grand Forks. Maybe Fargo since KFGO carries it. But after that.   Are Seamore Sports, UND Football 360, and Goon really media?

Oh, and before you go, read up on nutrition programs in FCS. Before attacking S&C, note that the top programs players don't eat cafeteria food. 

This board will say "excuses." No, these are issues that 18 year old kids and parents consider in making decisions in recruiting. I'm sure a few of you long for the good old days of grass and dirt and pushing through it all. Its a new era boys. Its an era of new expectations. Kids come in: "What can YOU do for me?" Not, "I just want a chance to make the team." 

So, before you continue to rip the coaches for everything that ails you. Think about this. If it wasn't for the quality people that our football staff are, where would the program be? I have had parents tell me specifically that "they" chose UND because of Coach Schmidt, Coach Agnew, Coach Freund, and dare I say even Bubba. How many of you have ever had a conversation with any of our coaches? 

(Yah, but football, X & O's) The program is about people. It has to be since everything around it (sans HPC) has failed the people in it. And leadership has let it fail. For decades.

Now, go back to your work and take away 60% of what you need to be effective. Whatever it is. Your best tractor, can't use it. Your best salesman, he's gone. Dump 60% of the tools you need on the highway on the way into work. Now let's see how good you do your job. And, you don't have to do it in public every Saturday against competition that most often has 100% of its tools.

Thank God our coaches are who they are. And our players are who they are. We have some gritty, tough, good kids in this program. But you wouldn't know it reading this forum. 

You guys keep doing what you're doing. YOU ARE THE SOLUTION. Wow.

Lots of room for improvement, lots of tools missing, yes.  But if you compare apples to apples with the big sky schools we have competed against the last several years, our facilities, FCOA, stadium and all things considered, we are not the little sisters of the poor competing against ‘bama week in week out as your post suggests. 

5 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Lots of room for improvement, lots of tools missing, yes.  But if you compare apples to apples with the big sky schools we have competed against the last several years, our facilities, FCOA, stadium and all things considered, we are not the little sisters of the poor competing against ‘bama week in week out as your post suggests. 

We don't compete with Big Sky schools in recruiting. Maybe UNC for Colorado kids. We compete with midwest schools. That's our footprint. The MVFC is a better comparison. Particularly NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNI. Sometimes Wyoming for top kids in MPLS. MAC schools on occasion. Big Ten (their walk-ons) become our partial or fulls. That's the reality. We have never had a recruiting footprint that matches the Big Sky. So S. Utah, Portland St., N. Arizona, the California schools and even the Montana schools are irrelevent to my point. 

37 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

"Solutions" You are delusional. You offer nothing. There is no value in an anonymous critic or critique. Period. And before everyone points out hypocrisy. Again, I am playing by the rules of the forum. When in Rome.

Here's my thoughts. Step out from behind the moniker and visit with administration. Ask them why our players dress in a facility built just after WWI. Ask them why our coaches are still in Memorial. (Have any of you been in there lately.) Ask them why our locker room, weight room, and practice facility are in three separate locations which adds time and health issues (sweaty players, ND winter). Ask them why, even after the DI move, The Ralph still gets the majority of football ticket revenue. Ask them how a football program exists without even a receptionist or any other support staff to open mail, send mail, greet visitors.  Ask them why we have a skeleton media relations staff for football --- even at Hockey rich UND, football should be #2, but looking at how prominent/accessible football content is, is it? Hard to find UND football outside of Grand Forks. Maybe Fargo since KFGO carries it. But after that.   Are Seamore Sports, UND Football 360, and Goon really media?

Oh, and before you go, read up on nutrition programs in FCS. Before attacking S&C, note that the top programs players don't eat cafeteria food. 

This board will say "excuses." No, these are issues that 18 year old kids and parents consider in making decisions in recruiting. I'm sure a few of you long for the good old days of grass and dirt and pushing through it all. Its a new era boys. Its an era of new expectations. Kids come in: "What can YOU do for me?" Not, "I just want a chance to make the team." 

So, before you continue to rip the coaches for everything that ails you. Think about this. If it wasn't for the quality people that our football staff are, where would the program be? I have had parents tell me specifically that "they" chose UND because of Coach Schmidt, Coach Agnew, Coach Freund, and dare I say even Bubba. How many of you have ever had a conversation with any of our coaches? 

(Yah, but football, X & O's) The program is about people. It has to be since everything around it (sans HPC) has failed the people in it. And leadership has let it fail. For decades.

Now, go back to your work and take away 60% of what you need to be effective. Whatever it is. Your best tractor, can't use it. Your best salesman, he's gone. Dump 60% of the tools you need on the highway on the way into work. Now let's see how good you do your job. And, you don't have to do it in public every Saturday against competition that most often has 100% of its tools.

Thank God our coaches are who they are. And our players are who they are. We have some gritty, tough, good kids in this program. But you wouldn't know it reading this forum. 

To nitpick, NDSUs whole team eats plenty of cafeteria food. They do, however, have a nutritionist teaching their players what to eat and how to make it at home and they also provide them with plans for what their diet should look like to get the performance gains they need. We need that. Would it be so hard to have a professor who teaches nutrition to provide that for a little salary boost?

16 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

To nitpick, NDSUs whole team eats plenty of cafeteria food. They do, however, have a nutritionist teaching their players what to eat and how to make it at home and they also provide them with plans for what their diet should look like to get the performance gains they need. We need that. Would it be so hard to have a professor who teaches nutrition to provide that for a little salary boost?

If you want UND players to look like NDSU players, get a team pharmacist, not a team nutritionist.

28 minutes ago, Stockdamhockey said:

We don't compete with Big Sky schools in recruiting. Maybe UNC for Colorado kids. We compete with midwest schools. That's our footprint. The MVFC is a better comparison. Particularly NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNI. Sometimes Wyoming for top kids in MPLS. MAC schools on occasion. Big Ten (their walk-ons) become our partial or fulls. That's the reality. We have never had a recruiting footprint that matches the Big Sky. So S. Utah, Portland St., N. Arizona, the California schools and even the Montana schools are irrelevent to my point. 

My point was against the teams we have most recently been competing against, they don’t hold major facility or funding advantages over us. and yet, we have averaged being a middle of the road team with 2 wins against teams that made the playoffs these last six years. 

• Upvote 2

My take on what has happened to UND football since 2004 when we were consistently beating NDSU and SDSU.

• NDSU and  SDSU moved to DI.  They started getting more of the recruits they wanted with more scholarship $$.   I know Mertens didn't turn out to be the savior at NDSU but everyone wanted him.  He told Dale he couldn't justify coming to UND for half scholarship vs. NDSU for full ride. 
  • UND moved to DI but was not eligible for anything during transition years.  NDSU and SDSU were now eligible.  During that time some kids said they didn't want to 'play for nothing' and chose our rivals.  Veldman for one
  • The SU's have had great success since then and have superior facilities.  It is hard to overcome those things. 

We aren't loaded with kids that only had DII offers other than ours because we shy away from kids with DI offers.   We need to get lucky with some kids (and we have) and find others that want to be at UND for one reason or another. 

Stockdam had some excellent points.  We also need to really upgrade our facilities and $$ spent on the program.   It still drives me nuts that we divert any money from the football program to the REA.   Football is at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to $$ supporting the program compared to hockey.  Why take anything, no matter how small, from fb.   It's a small amount of $$ compared to what they need but symbolically it tells you all you need to know about our athletic department priorities.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

So is there a plan or timeline? I see people requesting this but get no other info. It seems to be stalled right now. I am open to someone providing info!

For HPC2? I'd assume the plan is to find someone to donate $10 million plus to kick off the fundraising campaign, similar to any other privately funded facility.

So many things to get done to help the football program’

the city and business in this town need to start getting behind the university by doing its job but I don’t see that anytime soon

they can’t even decide where the hell to put a bridge.

did I read it right that they are going to do a study on putting up an interstate exchange to the tune of 1.5 million $, just decide to do it and put that money into the emxchange instead of a study 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Stockdamhockey said:

You identified several pressing needs that have been discussed on this board countless times. I agree with you.

As for calling me delusional; not called for. And your rambling “in Rome” isn’t selling Bubba and his staff, I’m afraid. UND has won 52 percent of its games under Bubba and there is no delusion in that. 

I have reached out to Bill Chaves (who is repeatedly difficult to communicate with) and the coaching staff. The coaches are great people, just haven’t won many games. Others on this board are undoubtedly connected with UND staff and coaches beyond their “moniker” from a website. This website is just a forum for discussion - nothing inherently wrong with that as you imply. 

Personally, I have always been very, very critical of UND athletics structure with UND hockey grabbing the vast majority of funding and resources. I don’t think it is a good division I model, at all. I think the  Engelstad revenue model is bull$%!#, but when Kennedy attacked it he was run out of town. Chaves kisses ass for it. HPC Phase II is years away from happening according to the projected donor contributions. All in all, UND football funding is not in a great place, like you say. People from this board, however, have funded thousands of dollars to help Bubba and his program over the past few seasons. I would like to think that represents somewhat of a “solution”. As I stated before, the people on this forum - although anonymous- are largely UND supporters who ultimately want UND to succeed at a very high level. Don’t ever lose sight of that. It could be far worse and suppprt could be absent. 

Again, though, with UND football’s current structure, coaching is really all people have to point to. Unless someone is holding on to a spare $1 million and wants to generously donate it tomorrow, I don’t see anything ground breaking happening for UND football soon. Coaching change is therefore the only real plausible move that could have significant return. I’m not saying Bubba and his staff will be fired; they likely won’t be even if they don’t win another game this season and finish 3-8. But that in itself is somewhat troubling and doubles back to the expectations talk. Should UND give all non-hockey coaches a decade plus pass on mediocrity because of the funding structure with hockey and the delabitated outdated facilities? It is a real question that I think Chaves and other UND folks shy away from at times.

For everyone who carries a pitchfork and wants change when things go bad, there is someone like you  @Stockdamhockey who looks beyond the personnel and wants inanimate change.

Last thing I’ll say is when it comes to managing people, which includes hiring/terminating, some decisions are not morally easy. Terminating a contract affects a lot of people. But it goes beyond that; it is the entire UND community and what they deserve to be representated by. Bubba is a great guy, but in the world of division I athletics, no one is maintained due to personality alone. There are donor relations roles for that. In top sport division I athletics, you are judged and either maintained or let go based on results. And, whether appropriate or not, it is often independent of facilities and support structure. Although, I completely agree the UND hockey first model and Engelstad revenue structure is completely malignant towards UND football, especially in the DI era. It was tolerable and, at times, a non-issue at the DII level. Those times are long gone.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, gfhockey said:

If we can get $20million for business school should be able to get $20 million for hpc 

im in the gobc and the fundraisers for und athletics sucks  mannassu hasn’t got one big donation yet 

the alumni fundraisers are better

You don’t say. Never would have guessed that. 

%gobc

7 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I have reached out to Bill Chaves (who is repeatedly difficult to communicate with) and the coaching staff. The coaches are great people, just haven’t won many games. Others on this board are undoubtedly connected with UND staff and coaches beyond their “moniker” from a website. This website is just a forum for discussion - nothing inherently wrong with that as you imply.

But according to @jdub27, this is completely unacceptable behavior by us fans and needs to stop. :silly:

Seriously though, I agree with you. The funding model worked in Division II, but it does not work at Division I. We should never have moved up without a solid financial plan to fund what is necessary to be competitive and successful. But we did move up, so our only choice is to be successful. Failure is not an option.