SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching staff

geaux_sioux

I feel bad for Danny, would support him for HC for the duration of the season, but long term, the new HC needs better cred and will likely bring in (and rightly so) his own staff.   If Danny could take a position as ST or QB coach, great.  If not hope he finds a place to develop and chip the Bubba paint off.

1 minute ago, Class_of_98 said:

Tyler Roehl.  Couple former players of theirs said he is the real deal when asked who of the assistants stand out. He knows the system that works. Don’t believe it’s likely though as I think he could be their next HC. Really hope Chaves would try though.

Facepalm city.  Wtf

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Kab said:

Stay away from anything from ndsu

there are plenty out there

thats what we pay Chaves for 

GOBC SHOULD GET OUT OF THE WAY 

I don't get this sentiment at all.

How many of Nick Saban's assistants are HC's somewhere else? He played against one yesterday, Jimbo Fisher. Kirby Smart at Georgia and others have been successful. Same for Urban Meyer and his coaching tree which includes the Texas coach, Herman.

Picking from a successful program seems to make sense.

• Upvote 1

Why dismiss offhand a coach from the most successful team in FCS history? Hoffner has Mankato clicking. Would be a very good get. There have to be some great options out there.

Faison really screwed the pooch when he passed over DeBoer, but UND would have been looking for a new coach sooner than now. In a good way.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Class_of_98 said:

Tyler Roehl.  Couple former players of theirs said he is the real deal when asked who of the assistants stand out. He knows the system that works. Don’t believe it’s likely though as I think he could be their next HC. Really hope Chaves would try though.

He knows what works for them. 1yr as OC isn’t enough to bring him here until he can get a different job. His loyalty to everything yellow and  green isn’t going to change. I doubt he would want the job. If you want one of their guys Hedberg might  be a better choice. He has HC experience and is familiar with community, state and region. I would hope we would have options that we aren’t familiar with. Chaves has experience hiring and should understand what a successful program needs. 

23 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

He knows what works for them. 1yr as OC isn’t enough to bring him here until he can get a different job. His loyalty to everything yellow and  green isn’t going to change. I doubt he would want the job. If you want one of their guys Hedberg might  be a better choice. He has HC experience and is familiar with community, state and region. I would hope we would have options that we aren’t familiar with. Chaves has experience hiring and should understand what a successful program needs. 

Hedberg? Seriously??? He's less than a year from becoming Medicare eligible. How about Marv Levy then.....he's only 94.

Who do I want?

I have no idea.  Perhaps even Bubba.

I just know that at a bare minimum, I want a different Strength & Conditioning coach and a different Special Teams coach before the 2020 season.  If getting those two things would require a head coaching change, then so be it.  I'm afraid Bubba's loyalty may be one of his biggest faults.

I am as frustrated with this program as is anybody else.  Just like everybody else, I think Bubba is a great guy, a great ambassador for UND, so very like-able.  I'm hesitant to jump on the "Fire-Bubba" bandwagon.  Maybe I should not be.  I am guilty of being late to the "Fire Brian Jones" party, but damn when I did get on board, I feel like I was steering the ship on that one!

The thing is, that Bubba made things so much better for UND football in a hurry after he took over.  He took Mussman's mess of a team and made them playoff caliber in his second year.  Won a Big Sky title in his 3rd year.  

But I agree we should be farther along than we are now.  The inconsistency is so frustrating.

If a change is made at the end of the season though, I would want a clean break.  No holdovers.  No Schmidt, no Freund, nobody..................  And I really like the potential of Danny Freund.  But I am going to view it like the basketball position over the off season.  Somebody new, with no ties.  A new perspective.

Side note.  I wonder if the people that Chaves hears from are the same people that post here?  By that I mean influential people.  Chaves doesn't return my messages, probably because I'm just a rube on the internet that doesn't offer much to the university other than my opinions in an anonymous online world.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Hedberg? Seriously??? He's less than a year from becoming Medicare eligible. How about Marv Levy then.....he's only 94.

I think you miss my point. I said “if” you want one of their guys. I don’t, but for an old guy he has a pretty good resume.  How many of his QB’s are in the NFL?  His QB this year is a pretty good freshman.  I don’t care how old he is as long as he can coach. One of our problems we have had at UND is we seem to have such a narrow focus. Too many people don’t look beyond the handful of coaches we have read about.  To turn this thing around will take someone with a dynamic magnetic personality who can recruit not only players, but convince a staff of assistant coaches to come here to win championships. He will need to sell fans and boosters on his plan for success so they are all in. As important will be his ability to convince the new President and our alumni association staff of the importance of their support and active participation in the process. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

Who do I want?

I have no idea.  Perhaps even Bubba.

I just know that at a bare minimum, I want a different Strength & Conditioning coach and a different Special Teams coach before the 2020 season.  If getting those two things would require a head coaching change, then so be it.  I'm afraid Bubba's loyalty may be one of his biggest faults.

I am as frustrated with this program as is anybody else.  Just like everybody else, I think Bubba is a great guy, a great ambassador for UND, so very like-able.  I'm hesitant to jump on the "Fire-Bubba" bandwagon.  Maybe I should not be.  I am guilty of being late to the "Fire Brian Jones" party, but damn when I did get on board, I feel like I was steering the ship on that one!

The thing is, that Bubba made things so much better for UND football in a hurry after he took over.  He took Mussman's mess of a team and made them playoff caliber in his second year.  Won a Big Sky title in his 3rd year.  

But I agree we should be farther along than we are now.  The inconsistency is so frustrating.

If a change is made at the end of the season though, I would want a clean break.  No holdovers.  No Schmidt, no Freund, nobody..................  And I really like the potential of Danny Freund.  But I am going to view it like the basketball position over the off season.  Somebody new, with no ties.  A new perspective.

Side note.  I wonder if the people that Chaves hears from are the same people that post here?  By that I mean influential people.  Chaves doesn't return my messages, probably because I'm just a rube on the internet that doesn't offer much to the university other than my opinions in an anonymous online world.  

Bubba won in the early years with Mussman's players.    Now he doesn't have those guys and can't get it done.   And I agree, if you are going to make the change, let everyone go and start fresh.   Might make things a little worse early on but in the long run it's the only way.   Fire every last one and then replace with the right guys.

44 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

As important will be his ability to convince the new President and our alumni association staff of the importance of their support and active participation in the process. 

This isn't talked about enough. They aren't all on board, imo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

This isn't talked about enough. They aren't all on board, imo.

Agreed. Record fundraising numbers and athletics continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel for loose change. We need to think outside the box when it comes to raising money for facilities, coaching salaries and so on.