SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

From my viewpoint, it’s not a ballot for “favorite” rookies.

I’m not sure, as a voter, how you can venture over to college hockey stats.net or whatever stats site and see the same kid leading most offensive stats for rookies and determine “NOT GOOD ENOUGH” 

I deduced the 2 voters are from Omaha. Every other Coach seems to have a bit more integrity. I mean, I haven’t heard anyone else in the radio insinuating UND is cheap on our radio pregame show so.... 

Maybe Gabinet was butt-hurt over the cross check in the second game between UND-UNO...pretty sure the Omaha guy was the instigator on that play and Pinto just finished it...Pinto paid the price for the retaliation but apparently Gabinet wants to get the last word.

Gabinet strikes me as the type of person to be petty enough to leave a worthy candidate like Pinto off his list.
Just look at how he skipped the coaches handshake at the last series...or how he's the only opposing coach to not go to the Sioux Boosters luncheons. 

I wonder if this hurts Pinto's shot at NCHC RoY?  Since Brink and Attard were both unanimous selections.  Not sure how that voting goes.

Gabinet is not very smart.  I would think the one thing you don't do in any profession is burn bridges, especially in a niche sport like hockey.  If Omaha keeps going down the path they are now, he may not have a job very long, and let's face it, word gets out on petty things like this.   With his resume suspect to begin with, you don't want to have other negatives attached to your name.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Maybe Gabinet was butt-hurt over the cross check in the second game between UND-UNO...pretty sure the Omaha guy was the instigator on that play and Pinto just finished it...Pinto paid the price for the retaliation but apparently Gabinet wants to get the last word.

This image will illustrate Joey Abate's game, he was running around all weekend elbowing and crosschecking people during the series in Grand Forks. The guy is a hack. he got what he had coming to him. While I don't condone Pinto's crosscheck, Abate had it coming. 

Abate.jpg

Here are the full All-NCHC teams:

2019-20 First-Team All-Conference
F: Jordan Kawaguchi, Jr., North Dakota – 42 points (14 first-place votes)
#F: Noah Cates, So., Minnesota Duluth – 29 points (9)
F: Cole Koepke, So., Minnesota Duluth – 24 points (6)
^F: Hugh McGing, Sr., Western Michigan – 24 points (6)
*D: Scott Perunovich, Jr., Minnesota Duluth – 42 points (14)
^D: Ian Mitchell, Jr., Denver – 26 points (6)
*G: Hunter Shepard, Sr., Minnesota Duluth – 43 points (14)

Second-Team All-Conference
F: Emilio Pettersen, So., Denver – 20 points (5)
F: Gordie Green, Sr., Miami – 14 points (3)
D: Matt Kiersted, Jr., North Dakota – 24 points (6)
^D: Jack Ahcan, Sr., St. Cloud State – 19 points (4)
^G: Dávid Hrenák, Jr., St. Cloud State – 11 points (2)

Honorable Mention All-Conference
F: Chris Wilkie, Sr., Colorado College – 12 points (2)
F: Nick Poehling, Sr., St. Cloud State – 7 points (2)
F: Westin Michaud, Sr., North Dakota – 4 points
#F: Taylor Ward, So., Omaha – 4 points
D: Mattias Samuelsson, So., Western Michigan – 7 points (1)
D: Colton Poolman, Sr., North Dakota – 5 points (1)
#G: Adam Scheel, So., North Dakota – 4 points

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fighting Sioux 23 from USCHO's postseason tournament simulation from last night.
NCHC Championship
Denver v. North Dakota
Longtime rivals Denver and North Dakota met this evening at the X for the NCHC Tournament Championship. The Pioneers struck early in the first, when Cole Guttman’s wrister from the far circle snuck through Peter Thome’s pads to put DU up 1-0. Magnus Chrona kept the Fighting Hawks off the scoreboard in the first, making 9 saves, and after twenty minutes of play, Denver held a one-goal lead. DU nearly added to their advantage early in the second on the powerplay, but Ian Mitchell’s slapper rang off the far post. North Dakota finally solved Chrona midway through the game when Jordan Kawaguchi lifted a wrister over Chrona’s shouler to knot the score at 1-1. UND took a 2-1 lead moments later when Cole Smith won a puck battle in the far corner and found a streaking Jacob Bernard-Docker at the top of the near circle, who ripped a one-timer past DU’s netminder. North Dakota struck once more before the end of the second, when Colton Poolman lit the lamp on the powerplay on a laser from the point. North Dakota’s two-goal lead would not last long however, as Denver pulled back within a goal on the opening shift of the third period, as Bobby Brink’s wrister found just enough space between Thome’s glove and the far post. With the next goal being key, both sides pushed hard offensively, but the goaltenders were up to the task, keeping the score 3-2 into the waning minutes of the third. With the goalie pulled, the Pioneers mounted a furious push to equal the score, but Westin Michaud deflected a cross-ice pass out to the neutral zone and then outpaced Ian Mitchell to the puck and sent the puck into an empty net to give North Dakota a 4-2 lead, which would prove to be the final score, as North Dakota earned its first ever NCHC Tournament Championship.st season simulation from last night.

On 3/11/2020 at 5:21 PM, Godsmack said:

Only one UND player made the all-NCHC first team. I don’t agree with that but I guess it supports the notion of how deep our team is. We don’t rely on just one or two guys to be successful.

Right?! Four Minnesota Duluth players on the first team? Right, ok! 

BRACKETOLOGY SIMULATION: Here is how we break down the brackets for the simulated 2020 Men’s Division I hockey tournament

https://www.uscho.com/2020/03/22/bracketology-simulation-here-is-how-we-break-down-the-brackets-for-the-simulated-2020-mens-division-i-hockey-tournament/

Albany
1 North Dakota
8 Clarkson
9 Massachusetts
16 Sacred Heart

Allentown
3 Minnesota State
7 Penn State
10 Mass.-Lowell
14 Western Michigan

Worcester
2 Cornell
6 Boston College
12 Bemidji State
15 Michigan

Loveland
4 Minnesota-Duluth
5 Denver
11 Maine
13 Ohio State

4 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Apparently Berry won Coach of the Year in NCHC. Shocking how nobody has mentioned it here. 

Maybe put it in the Fire Berry thread?  ;)
Gooch also won Forward of the Year, Smith got robbed on Defensive Forward of the Year, Poolman won Defensive Dman of the Year, and Pinto won Rookie of the Year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Maybe put it in the Fire Berry thread?  ;)
Gooch also won Forward of the Year, Smith got robbed on Defensive Forward of the Year, Poolman won Defensive Dman of the Year, and Pinto won Rookie of the Year.

Please, please, please come back underclassmen. Give it another shot once this pandemic is over.