SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

24 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Rizzo has been overhyped by this fanbase for 3 years, everyone just needs to relax with him. Talk about unfair expectations he couldn’t possibly match if he came in the fall. 

He will be a fantastic college player but he’s not a finished product. He’s still only 17. 

I agree  that expectations are high for many of these players, but my premise was that he is the one that is raising the expectations by talking about our pipeline as possibly the top or top 3.  So yeah, if we don't do much in the next 2-3 years people are going to put it on Berry, either for not developing them or them not being the level people talked about. 

Just now, tnt said:

I agree with  that expectations are high for many of these players, but my premise was that he is the one that is raising the expectations by talking about our pipeline as possibly the top or top 3.  So yeah, if we don't do much in the next 2-3 years people are going to put it on Berry, either for not developing them or them not being the level people talked about. 

I get it,  but Id argue there’s more than just people here talking about our pipeline, so there’s something to it.   Not many of us have seen what the recruits have so a lot of it is just repeating what’s been said already. I opt not to share too much of what I’ve seen out of recruits I’ve seen because of the stat sheet obsession. 

15 hours ago, Sioux1988 said:

Rizzo fell from 57 at the midterm to 84 final rankings. Blaisdell from 52 to 80 and Caulfield from 50 to 67. Not great to see for our recruits. On the positive side Pinto is at 28 and could rise more if he keeps tearing up the USHL playoffs, might sneak into the end of the first like JBD. 

Agreed....most of recruits tapered off towards the end of the year, except Pinto who's risen nicely.

3 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I get it,  but Id argue there’s more than just people here talking about our pipeline, so there’s something to it.   Not many of us have seen what the recruits have so a lot of it is just repeating what’s been said already. I opt not to share too much of what I’ve seen out of recruits I’ve seen because of the stat sheet obsession. 

Haha, there outliers definitely, however a smart guy once told me "you're only as good as you are on paper".  It seems to apply to many things in life.  Obviously teams need certain role players, however, those role players should have solid production at the previously level played.  Development is a ladder approach, you never really know a ceiling until you hit it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Haha, there outliers definitely, however a smart guy once told me "you're only as good as you are on paper".  It seems to apply to many things in life.  Obviously teams need certain role players, however, those role players should have solid production at the previously level played.  Development is a ladder approach, you never really know a ceiling until you hit it.

Just to clarify, I wasn’t referring to the Braden Costello’s of the world. I was referring to those with what I see as solid production that’s been deemed not good enough around here. 

I prefer the eye test to a stat sheet, but to each their own. 

2 hours ago, tnt said:

So now you are tempering expectations, when you have been touting "the pipeline" every other post?

So, I'm tempering expectations on ONE player. But, that speaks for the entire pipeline. Got it.

I can't eye roll any harder.

5c2.jpg

2 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Just to clarify, I wasn’t referring to the Braden Costello’s of the world. I was referring to those with what I see as solid production that’s been deemed not good enough around here. 

I prefer the eye test to a stat sheet, but to each their own. 

Completely agree.  As to your second sentence, who are you talking about?

29 minutes ago, tnt said:

I agree  that expectations are high for many of these players, but my premise was that he is the one that is raising the expectations by talking about our pipeline as possibly the top or top 3.  So yeah, if we don't do much in the next 2-3 years people are going to put it on Berry, either for not developing them or them not being the level people talked about. 

We can still and will, IMO, have a top 3, or top recruiting class for the next three or four years with the classes as a whole. I've been commenting recently on Rizzo specifically and that people may want to temper expectations on him and him alone. 

Our overall expectations, from what I've seen, should be really high and we should feel good about our team moving forward. Specifically on Rizzo, I think we should pump the brakes on how immediate his impact will be. Capisce? 

9 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yes, but the rest of the players, by all means raise expectations.  Talk about an eye roll.  By the way, it seems to me you were one of the ones who was super high on Rizzo, until someone told you not to be.  How many others will you lower your expectations on based on "the source". 

You can do what you want, man. I'm telling you what I'm going to do. I said, it seems like we should... 

If you want to continue to ignore things like rankings and scouting, by all means, go for it. I was absolutely high on Rizzo. No question about it. Now, it seems like he's peaked, for the moment. So, I've tempered my expectations on HIM and him alone because his initial reports were very, very high. 

I don't understand how this is a reflection on the pipeline as a whole. If you don't want to be excited about our pipeline, that's cool. Enjoy that.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

You can do what you want, man. I'm telling you what I'm going to do. I said, it seems like we should... 

If you want to continue to ignore things like rankings and scouting, by all means, go for it. I was absolutely high on Rizzo. No question about it. Now, it seems like he's peaked, for the moment. So, I've tempered my expectations on HIM and him alone because his initial reports were very, very high. 

I don't understand how this is a reflection on the pipeline as a whole. 

Yes, I do ignore things like rankings to a large degree.  I tend to focus on results.  I definitely get excited about recruits rated high, but that doesn't mean squat, because just like Rizzo, they all will need to prove themselves at a higher level which is a crapshoot. 

Just now, tnt said:

Yes, I do ignore things like rankings to a large degree.  I tend to focus on results.  I definitely get excited about recruits rated high, but that doesn't mean squat, because just like Rizzo, they all will need to prove themselves at a higher level which is a crapshoot. 

Totally fair, man. And just because I'm tempering expectations on Rizzo doesn't mean I'm not excited about him. He's a very good player and will be a contributor during his career. Just seems like he may not be the "blue chippa" that we may have thought right away. So be it. 

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Totally fair, man. And just because I'm tempering expectations on Rizzo doesn't mean I'm not excited about him. He's a very good player and will be a contributor during his career. Just seems like he may not be the "blue chippa" that we may have thought right away. So be it. 

I agree, it is probably similar to those who thought Adams should have come in a year earlier when he had a decent year in the USHL.  To be truthful, I don't remember if I was one of those thinking that or not.  Turns out, the coaches were right in that instance, and I would imagine the scenario is similar with Rizzo.  If they aren't projected as role players, let them gain strength and confidence at another level before they come in, so they won't be lost and lose confidence at the college level. 

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

If it makes you feel better all of our draft eligible forward recruits are ranked higher than any other incoming forward in the NCHC not named Bobby Brink in the final Central Scouting rankings. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

I agree, it is probably similar to those who thought Adams should have come in a year earlier when he had a decent year in the USHL.  To be truthful, I don't remember if I was one of those thinking that or not.  Turns out, the coaches were right in that instance, and I would imagine the scenario is similar with Rizzo.  If they aren't projected as role players, let them gain strength and confidence at another level before they come in, so they won't be lost and lose confidence at the college level. 

This is precisely how I feel. He's supposed to be a Top 6 player. Why have him come in if he's not ready to be that? Give him one more year of development and see if he'll be ready next year.

@stoneySIOUX Question re Rizzo, you use words like peaked and leveled off. I'm with your assessment for the most part, but I'm not really following those two words. As a guy looking strictly at stats, he went from .78 PPG as a 16 year old to 1.08 PPG as a 17 year old. Nothing crazy, but a pretty modest progression I'd say.

For the record as long as this was a mutual decision, with Michaud coming in, I actually really like him going back to play another year. I think this will end up being best for everyone involved. Next year's class, given the size is so crucial. Having Rizzo / Bast as +1 guys (from HS) would be a fantastic start. Two guys that most expected to be here next year at the beginning of the year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

@stoneySIOUX Question re Rizzo, you use words like peaked and leveled off. I'm with your assessment for the most part, but I'm not really following those two words. As a guy looking strictly at stats, he went from .78 PPG as a 16 year old to 1.08 PPG as a 17 year old. Nothing crazy, but a pretty modest progression I'd say.

For the record as long as this was a mutual decision, with Michaud coming in, I actually really like him going back to play another year. I think this will end up being best for everyone involved. Next year's class, given the size is so crucial. Having Rizzo / Bast as +1 guys (from HS) would be a fantastic start. Two guys that most expected to be here next year at the beginning of the year.

That's fair. Peaked shouldn't be the word, for sure.

Leveled off, currently. I think he'll progress again. So, right now, he's progressed, but not to the first/second round level which we thought he was right away. I don't think leveled off indicates he's done progressing, just that he's no longer got a rocket up his rear end. 

4 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

That's fair. Peaked shouldn't be the word, for sure.

Leveled off, currently. I think he'll progress again. So, right now, he's progressed, but not to the first/second round level which we thought he was right away. I don't think leveled off indicates he's done progressing, just that he's no longer got a rocket up his rear end. 

Agreed, definitely not "peaked" but I definitely thought he would be much above the pt/gm kind of guy, especially in that league. Still not a bad year though.  Blaisdell really came back down to earth during the second half as well.  goal totals were still nice though.  Stratton's numbers were those that had me most interested. averaged a pt/gm playing second fiddle last year, coach noted he was going to be an "80 pt player" then significantly tapered off.  Goal totals slightly alarming, especially for a good team.  I'm still gald we got him but thought he was one of those, diamond in the rough kind of guys.  Could still turn it around though.

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed, definitely not "peaked" but I definitely thought he would be much above the pt/gm kind of guy, especially in that league. Still not a bad year though.  Blaisdell really came back down to earth during the second half as well.  goal totals were still nice though.  Stratton's numbers were those that had me most interested. averaged a pt/gm playing second fiddle last year, coach noted he was going to be an "80 pt player" then significantly tapered off.  Goal totals slightly alarming, especially for a good team.  I'm still gald we got him but thought he was one of those, diamond in the rough kind of guys.  Could still turn it around though.

Yeah, Stratton is the definition of a pass first player. Reminds me of freshman year Nick Schmaltz when it was like pulling teeth getting him to shoot the puck. He does see things on the ice that others don’t. Explains his goal totals a bit, but yeah would’ve like to see more there. 

10 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Yeah, Stratton is the definition of a pass first player. Reminds me of freshman year Nick Schmaltz when it was like pulling teeth getting him to shoot the puck. He does see things on the ice that others don’t. Explains his goal totals a bit, but yeah would’ve like to see more there. 

Agreed, I get that.  But definitely had a serious regression when given an expanded role.  Very odd.

Looking at a few dates from the past seasons:

• Colton Poolman named Captain on May 9th of last year
  • Austin Poganski named Captain April 11th, 2017
  • 2018/19 Freshman Class named May 30th of last year
  • 2017/18 Freshman Class named June 22nd, 2017

Poolman will clearly be the Captain again, but we should find out the Alternates in the next couple weeks. Still have a ways to go for the official incoming freshman list. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Looking at a few dates from the past seasons:

• Colton Poolman named Captain on May 9th of last year
  • Austin Poganski named Captain April 11th, 2017
  • 2018/19 Freshman Class named May 30th of last year
  • 2017/18 Freshman Class named June 22nd, 2017

Poolman will clearly be the Captain again, but we should find out the Alternates in the next couple weeks. Still have a ways to go for the official incoming freshman list. 

Does Senden get an "A" as a sophomore? 

• Upvote 3