SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

8 hours ago, brianvf said:

With all his injuries, I think they wanted him to have another year in juniors.  The Michaud decision might have sealed the deal.
Who knows.  Hopefully when he comes in next year (20/21), he's ready to contribute right away.  He probably would have this year though too.

I think he would have had a chance to contribute for sure, but it's not a bad thing for him to have one more year of development if the staff didn't think he was truly ready, IMO.

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yeah, he didn't have a great year last year, so it's not a bad thing at all for him to get 100% healthy and get some more seasoning.

I wouldn’t say he had a bad year, just below expectations. Injuries not helping. My interpretation of this situation is that it’s expected he immediately fit into a top 6 role when he arrives and maybe the coaching staff feels he’ll be better equipped to do that with another year of juniors. JMO. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I wouldn’t say he had a bad year, just below expectations. Injuries not helping. My interpretation of this situation is that it’s expected he immediately fit into a top 6 role when he arrives and maybe the coaching staff feels he’ll be better equipped to do that with another year of juniors. JMO. 

Agreed he was still over (slightly) a PPG during the regular season and a PPG during playoffs. Sounds like it's a moot point at this point, but would have still preferred Rizzo over Caulfied next year. The "Top 6" talent is going to improve this year, but feel Rizzo could really contribute to that potential depth.

I have only 7 players Michaud, Kawaguchi, Mismash, Pinto, Blaisdell -- Adams, Weatherby that fit. With injuries / two of them being true freshman / two unproven scorers, the more options the better.  

Edit: That being said, it'll be really nice having Rizzo as one of the cornerstone pieces to that 2020 class. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/19/2019 at 3:21 PM, Stack said:

I started going through the list of players leaving and then trying to figure out who is actually coming in this fall.  We also know about Westin Michaud from CC who will be a senior.

The players Schloss has mentioned coming in are:  Frisch (D), Pinto (F), Caulfield (F), Blaisdell (F). If you then look at birth years and production the players that seem likely to also come on are:  Riese Gaber (F),  Murphy Stratton (F), and possibly  Carter Randklev depending on his injury. Braden Costello doesn't seem ready. So does anyone know who from this list may be coming in?

If the numbers are right that could mean that some of our senior forwards may either be transferring or not be playing  (Casey Johnson, Zach Yon, Dixon Bowen).

Thoughts anyone?

Get in the game: 
https://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/27293-the-name-em-game-2019-20-edition/ 

12 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think you're spot on, man. 

On 4/23/2019 at 9:26 PM, stoneySIOUX said:

I think he would have had a chance to contribute for sure, but it's not a bad thing for him to have one more year of development if the staff didn't think he was truly ready, IMO.

Not bad, but all depends how long he's at UND, which none of can predict. For conversation sake, I'd rather he come early and stay 3 yrs than stay in juniors and play 2 at UND

12 minutes ago, franchise said:

Not bad, but all depends how long he's at UND, which none of can predict. For conversation sake, I'd rather he come early and stay 3 yrs than stay in juniors and play 2 at UND

I agree. I also hope that the idea to play juniors was his or at least agreed upon. We don't need another Ryder Donovan situation. We brought in Corban Knight and Mark Senden early, and Rizzo seems to have a lot more upside. I'm pretty sure he could be top 6 on this team. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, franchise said:

I think he'd have to take a pretty big jump to leave after two years of college. Definitely not the type of player that is going to leave that early. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, skateshattrick said:

I agree. I also hope that the idea to play juniors was his or at least agreed upon. We don't need another Ryder Donovan situation. We brought in Corban Knight and Mark Senden early, and Rizzo seems to have a lot more upside. I'm pretty sure he could be top 6 on this team. 

Not sure I get the Rizzo/Knight comp. Rizzo won't be drafted very high. Had a high grade early, but he's been falling on draft boards for a long time. Seems like he's leveled. 

Feels like we need to maybe temper expectations on him, a bit ala Donovan.

26 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Not sure I get the Rizzo/Knight comp. Rizzo won't be drafted very high. Had a high grade early, but he's been falling on draft boards for a long time. Seems like he's leveled. 

Feels like we need to maybe temper expectations on him, a bit ala Donovan.

Corban Knight was drafted in the 5th round. Rizzo is expected to be drafted higher. Plus, he was at one time projected to be a 1st or 2nd round pick prior to injuries. He is a very skilled and highly recruited prospect. 

28 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Corban Knight was drafted in the 5th round. Rizzo is expected to be drafted higher. Plus, he was at one time projected to be a 1st or 2nd round pick prior to injuries. He is a very skilled and highly recruited prospect. 

I should say I don't get the comp, I just think Rizzo is falling off a bit and Corbin was a late riser. 

Like I said, I think we need to temper expectations on him from everything I've heard and seen. Seems like he's leveled off. Sounds like he'll be a late rounder now. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I should say I don't get the comp, I just think Rizzo is falling off a bit and Corbin was a late riser. 

Like I said, I think we need to temper expectations on him from everything I've heard and seen. Seems like he's leveled off. Sounds like he'll be a late rounder now. 

Where did you hear that? From everything I’ve heard, even after “falling” because of injuries, he will be between 2nd and 4th round.

2 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Where did you hear that? From everything I’ve heard, even after “falling” because of injuries, he will be between 2nd and 4th round.

He’s ranked 84th by Central scouting. That’s mid-to-late after factoring in Euros. I’d say he goes in the 4th or 5th. 

7 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Rizzo fell from 57 at the midterm to 84 final rankings. Blaisdell from 52 to 80 and Caulfield from 50 to 67. Not great to see for our recruits. On the positive side Pinto is at 28 and could rise more if he keeps tearing up the USHL playoffs, might sneak into the end of the first like JBD. 

1 hour ago, Sioux1988 said:

Rizzo fell from 57 at the midterm to 84 final rankings. Blaisdell from 52 to 80 and Caulfield from 50 to 67. Not great to see for our recruits. On the positive side Pinto is at 28 and could rise more if he keeps tearing up the USHL playoffs, might sneak into the end of the first like JBD. 

So we won't be BU . . . .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sioux1988 said:

1 hour ago, burd said:

So we won't be BU . . . .

But the rankings were probably set before Shaw said he was leaving, so there's that.

Forget the rankings. The rankings are figured out by people just like us. They may call themselves experts but they still don’t know. How many top 10’s have never worked out. How many 60’s - 90’s have become studs. How many guys have found the right coaches, players, systems that fit them and become amazing. How many studs end up at BU and become worthless. Haha. I believe in find a guy with character and develop him. Some will flourish some will dive. You never really know. To many factors come into play. Players can struggle mixing hockey with school, location, teammates,  fans, some many different aspects. Let these kids be kids, come to our great program and learn from the coaches we have and for the most part trust will turn them to champions.

1 hour ago, UND-MH-Fan said:

Forget the rankings. The rankings are figured out by people just like us. They may call themselves experts but they still don’t know. How many top 10’s have never worked out. How many 60’s - 90’s have become studs. How many guys have found the right coaches, players, systems that fit them and become amazing. How many studs end up at BU and become worthless. Haha. I believe in find a guy with character and develop him. Some will flourish some will dive. You never really know. To many factors come into play. Players can struggle mixing hockey with school, location, teammates,  fans, some many different aspects. Let these kids be kids, come to our great program and learn from the coaches we have and for the most part trust will turn them to champions.

Of course they don't know, but they get paid to make projections. 

5 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

I won't say specifically, but I'm very confident who I've been told by and who that person knows. Take it for what it's worth.

I'm just afraid to hear down the road some self-fulfilling prophecy. Rizzo will come in, not be the second round type player that people initially thought he'd be and boom, Bubbs can't develop lol. I'm tempering my expectations. 

I'd rather have a kid picked later and have more to prove to the team. The success rate drops off fast after the 30's draft position, but teams are often irrationally invested in a player drafted earlier and sign them early for "depth" in their system. 4th and 5th round have to shine to get contacts so they'll stay longer.

I'm excited for this to be a good 4 year class.

• Upvote 1

Just now, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I'd rather have a kid picked later and have more to prove to the team. The bell curve drops off after the 30s draft position, but teams are often irrationally invested in a player drafted earlier and sign them early for "depth" in their system. 4th and 5th round have to shine to get contacts so they'll stay longer.

I'm excited for this to be a good 4 year class.

Yup. 100% agreed. I definitely am still excited about Rizzo. 

6 hours ago, Sioux1988 said:

Rizzo fell from 57 at the midterm to 84 final rankings. Blaisdell from 52 to 80 and Caulfield from 50 to 67. Not great to see for our recruits.

I can't wait for these three to get on campus.  I see them being great college players that all stick around for 3-4 years.
Put them all on the same line and you get the next Pony Express line of Rizzo (Trupp), Blaisdell (Frattin), and Caulfield (Malone).

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I won't say specifically, but I'm very confident who I've been told by and who that person knows. Take it for what it's worth.

I'm just afraid to hear down the road some self-fulfilling prophecy. Rizzo will come in, not be the second round type player that people initially thought he'd be and boom, Bubbs can't develop lol. I'm tempering my expectations. 

So now you are tempering expectations, when you have been touting "the pipeline" every other post?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tnt said:

So now you are tempering expectations, when you have been touting "the pipeline" every other post?

Rizzo has been overhyped by this fanbase for 3 years, everyone just needs to relax with him. Talk about unfair expectations he couldn’t possibly match if he came in the fall. 

He will be a fantastic college player but he’s not a finished product. He’s still only 17. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1