SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

On 1/29/2020 at 1:42 PM, Fader said:

Nate Wells from NCAA:

Worcester Region (Worcester, MA - Host Holy Cross)
1. North Dakota vs. 16. American International
8. Clarkson vs. 9. Providence

Albany Regional (Albany, NY - Host ECAC)
2. Cornell vs. 15. Northern Michigan
7. Massachusetts vs. 10. Ohio State

Allentown Region (Allentown, PA - Host Penn State)
3. Minnesota State vs. 14. New Hampshire
6. Penn State vs. 11. Arizona State

Loveland Region (Loveland, CO - Host Denver)
4. Denver vs. 13. Northeastern
5. Boston College vs. 12. Minnesota Duluth

I agree with your 'region of death' :)

This looks a bit different today.  

1 hour ago, crb1 said:

Loveland is not 11,990 feet above sea level. It is right next to Fort Collins on the Front Range and is about 4,982ft You must be thinking of Estes Park. 

As has been mentioned in other posts, they mistakenly checked the elevation for Loveland Pass/Ski Area west of Denver instead of the city of Loveland north of Denver. 

Even Estes Park is below 8,000 feet but if you're talking the RMNP area, then you're looking at 14,000+ but I doubt anyone is playing on Longs Peak.  Chasm Lake would be an amazing place for an outdoor skate though! 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, burd said:

I was inclined to make a comment on one thread or another about Jake Brandt as a color guy, and I realized it would be appropos to make it on this thread.  

No question that part of the reason crowd are smaller and, possibly, quieter,  in rinks all over the place is the availability of high quality streaming coverage of games.   The availability and quality of both production and home video equipment makes it tempting for people to save money and watch the game at home.   That's good because it makes the games available to more people, but it's bad in that it reduced attendance and, I think, even takes away from the experience for those in attendance, since they have become accustomed to experiencing the world through their tablets and phones.   There's that. 

But my comment was just that I think Jake has become a very good color guy.  He speaks in cliche's a little too much, as almost all sports announcers do, but he is pretty consistently on point in his observations about the game.   That's all.   I was gonna say that somewhere, then I realized the subject is relevant for more than one reason to the discussion that is going on now on this thread.

A win tonight and, what, a split out of Denver?

I agree with your comment about Jake! I am biased, we’ve known Jake since his high school days. He is a genuine good guy, he speaks in the common mans vocabulary and he knows hockey. He grew up playing the game and you can tell by his enthusiasm that he loves the game. I feel that he and Alex make a good combination and we are spoiled by having such good color and play-by-play crew to listen to. They are homers, but not to such an extent that they become obnoxious like many other local radio and tv coverage crews. As much as I like Tim, I am not tempted to listen to him over Jake and Alex. We listen to TIm‘ s pregame, between periods and post game. 

24 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Didn't CC play an exhibition game up in Summit County? Or maybe it is scheduled for next year.

I bet beer league is fun up there with all the ski bums fresh out of prep/high school hockey.

Two seasons ago, CC played their Canadian exhibition game up there somewhere in Summit County. I believe it was in Breckinridge. 

13 minutes ago, mattim said:

I agree with your comment about Jake! I am biased, we’ve known Jake since his high school days. He is a genuine good guy, he speaks in the common mans vocabulary and he knows hockey. He grew up playing the game and you can tell by his enthusiasm that he loves the game. I feel that he and Alex make a good combination and we are spoiled by having such good color and play-by-play crew to listen to. They are homers, but not to such an extent that they become obnoxious like many other local radio and tv coverage crews. As much as I like Tim, I am not tempted to listen to him over Jake and Alex. We listen to TIm‘ s pregame, between periods and post game. 

Totally agree. I think Alex and Jake make a great team. I also appreciate how they’re willing to acknowledge good play of UND’s opponent, whoever that might be.

As a Tiger season ticket holder, I don’t share Alex or Jake’s enthusiasm of Mike Haviland and the so-called turnaround he’s manufactured. But that said, both of these guys are knowledgeable of the game and I love Alex’s enthusiasm whenever UND scores a goal or our goalie makes a big save. Plus, both guys are very diplomatic of UND’s opponents. Class acts. 

Current brackets after last nights game create some forced changes.  

ive got UND vs Atlantic hockey winner and clarkson vs UMass in Worcester 

DU vs Quinnipiac and BC vs ASU in Loveland (both Quinnipiac and ASU moved to avoid intra conference first round)

mankato vs OSU and PSU vs Providence in Allentown

cornell vs Northern MI and UMD vs Northeastern in Albany 

10 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

DU vs Quinnipiac and BC vs ASU in Loveland (both Quinnipiac and ASU moved to avoid intra conference first round)

mankato vs Northern MI and PSU vs ASU in Allentown

cornell vs OSU and UMD vs Northeastern in Albany 

I have a hard time believing that the NCAA committee will allow ASU to be in the tourney twice at the same time. ;)

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

mankato vs Northern MI and PSU vs Providence in Allentown

cornell vs OSU and UMD vs Northeastern in Albany 

Mankato and Northern Michigan are in the same conference.

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

mankato vs OSU and PSU vs Providence in Allentown

cornell vs Northern MI and UMD vs Northeastern in Albany 

Thanks for edit help- i think we’ve landed...brain not firing on all cylinders this morning.  I blame the Malbec from last night.

3 hours ago, mattim said:

Tim's the best radio college hockey play by play I've heard, but Olson is hurting his broadcast. 

I would not be surprised if Karl G started to attract some interest as college DI vacancies might occur. He has been a tremendous addition to the staff.  I don’t see Berry going anywhere anytime soon, but if he did I think Karl would be first in line. 

Recap and look ahead here plus an exclusive interview with Mr Thome on his thoughts from the game, Game of Thrones, and more right here. Watch the interview at the end of the recap to find out a freshman year nickname and other things. UND has two starting goalies that could see time in the NHL one day, or what I would call, a good problem.  Some things to think about from Saturday as we move forward. 

https://seamoresports.com/2020/02/02/8-1-what-this-win-means-for-the-fighting-hawks-and-what-now/

• Upvote 2

On 2/1/2020 at 5:54 AM, burd said:

I was inclined to make a comment on one thread or another about Jake Brandt as a color guy, and I realized it would be appropos to make it on this thread.  

No question that part of the reason crowd are smaller and, possibly, quieter,  in rinks all over the place is the availability of high quality streaming coverage of games.   The availability and quality of both production and home video equipment makes it tempting for people to save money and watch the game at home.   That's good because it makes the games available to more people, but it's bad in that it reduced attendance and, I think, even takes away from the experience for those in attendance, since they have become accustomed to experiencing the world through their tablets and phones.   There's that. 

But my comment was just that I think Jake has become a very good color guy.  He speaks in cliche's a little too much, as almost all sports announcers do, but he is pretty consistently on point in his observations about the game.   That's all.   I was gonna say that somewhere, then I realized the subject is relevant for more than one reason to the discussion that is going on now on this thread.

A win tonight and, what, a split out of Denver?

I agree 100% about Jake. He has improved so much. He clearly understands the game and is pretty good about making a comment about what a team is doing or needs to do that makes complete sense.

22 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Didn't CC play an exhibition game up in Summit County? Or maybe it is scheduled for next year.

I bet beer league is fun up there with all the ski bums fresh out of prep/high school hockey.

I think they played an exhibition game a year or two ago.

Playing hockey at 9,000 feet sucks. It really knocks you down a peg or two.

Second half bye week is coming at a great time. Heal up, you're able to survey the landscape and you'll have a better idea of exactly what you need to do the last month of the regular season. As we saw this week, teams can still have wild swings based on one weekends results. As of now there's.

• Clear cut Tier 1: UND / Mankato / Cornell
  • Clear cut Tier 2: Denver / BC / Duluth

Seems like finishing First or Second over Third this year as of now would be really important. 

2 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

if carson albrecht does not play a game is he automatically red shirted?

Can he even redshirt with his age?  You lose a year playing juniors at his age, but don’t know if the rule applies if you are in college.  

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Second half bye week is coming at a great time. Heal up, you're able to survey the landscape and you'll have a better idea of exactly what you need to do the last month of the regular season. As we saw this week, teams can still have wild swings based on one weekends results. As of now there's.

• Clear cut Tier 1: UND / Mankato / Cornell
  • Clear cut Tier 2: Denver / BC / Duluth

Seems like finishing First or Second over Third this year as of now would be really important. 

I think the way UMD is playing right now they deserve to be in the Tier 1 bucket.  The 6 teams on your list can all beat each other on a given day.  

the biggest thing I’ve learned about this team is that we are a matchup team.  So, I agree that being the overall #1 with its last line change is really critical to our best shot at #9

• Upvote 1