SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

32 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

tinfoil hat eh?  Since the institution and widespread understanding of the pairwise and methodology for seeding, its gotten a lot harder to grease a team to the Frozen Four.

You have to go all the way back to 2016 (the last time BC made the tournament) for them to be favorably placed in a closer than deserved regional. 

https://www.bcinterruption.com/2016/3/20/11271410/ncaa-hockey-bracketology-predicting-todays-bracket

Attendance is still a thing. Regardless of seed, they'll do their best to put BC in the closest regional. 

To be fair, they'd do the same for UND if it was hosted in MN, SD, or even NE and the host wasn't there. 

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

You have to go all the way back to 2016 (the last time BC made the tournament) for them to be favorably placed in a closer than deserved regional. 

https://www.bcinterruption.com/2016/3/20/11271410/ncaa-hockey-bracketology-predicting-todays-bracket

Attendance is still a thing. Regardless of seed, they'll do their best to put BC in the closest regional. 

To be fair, they'd do the same for UND if it was hosted in MN, SD, or even NE and the host wasn't there. 

Attendance is a thing, absolutely; however I got Lowell playing in Worcester which should alleviate some of that.  To move BC could be argued, however then you are disrupting bracket integrity for the 1 and 2 seeds, which should be an absolute last resort.  

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Fader said:

Probably my favorite snip from the piece:

"After a rough home loss during a challenging 2016-17 season, I sat in the press box typing my game story. My Twitter mentions were buzzing with angry fans sounding off. I saw two comments saying this team was a bunch of losers who had no heart.

Then, I looked down on the ice and saw Tucker Poolman and Tyson Jost, wearing street clothes in an empty arena, passing the puck back and forth with a child who was battling cancer, while Christian Wolanin gave a personalized tour of the locker room to another fan with health challenges. The kids were so happy. I thought to myself, if only those angry fans knew: On this night, these players were big winners and they were all heart."

Beat me to it. This is what it’s all about 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest natural bracketelogy:

Allentown:

UND vs Sacred Heart

Clarkson vs Penn State

Worcester:

Mankato vs Quinnipiac

Ohio State vs Providence

Albany:

Cornell vs Northeastern

UMass vs ASU

Denver:

DU vs Lowell

BC vs UMD

Committee has to like Cornell in Albany, Penn State in Allentown, DU in Denver.  They are probably less than thrilled with 4 Mass teams in, but none naturally landing in Worcester. 

The only reasonable attendance switch would seem to be Lowell and Quinnipiac- swapping the #13 and #15 overall seeds to put a Mass team in Worcester. Can’t swap #14 and #15 without setting up a first round intra conference game.  

Providence and Lowell in Worcester should be enough attendance boost.

3 hours ago, runaroundsioux said:

Denver=Region of Death. Except BC won't be there.

No kidding, anyone not in Denver would probably feel pretty good if seeding landed like this. UND would have a dream regional although it seems like every year I think something like that, I somehow end up surprised anyway so I like the cliche from most teams “just get in”. But I wouldn’t complain if they can hold onto the #1 overall either..

Feels like there’s no real runaway teams this year, wonder if the rest of the country thinks this is UND’s year to lose if they maintain through the second half? 

22 minutes ago, Brett0909 said:

No kidding, anyone not in Denver would probably feel pretty good if seeding landed like this. UND would have a dream regional although it seems like every year I think something like that, I somehow end up surprised anyway so I like the cliche from most teams “just get in”. But I wouldn’t complain if they can hold onto the #1 overall either..

Feels like there’s no real runaway teams this year, wonder if the rest of the country thinks this is UND’s year to lose if they maintain through the second half? 

USCO Pairwise has BC 4th/Denver 5th/puts Sioux in West braket with Denver.

Moy's first Bracketology from USCHO:

West Regional (Loveland):
14 Northeastern vs. 2 Minnesota State
11 Arizona State vs. 5 Denver

Midwest Regional (Allentown):
16 AIC vs. 1 North Dakota
9 Penn State vs. 8 Clarkson

East Regional (Albany):
13 UMass Lowell vs. 3 Cornell
12 Minnesota Duluth vs. 6 Massachusetts

Northeast Regional (Worcester):
15 Quinnipiac vs. 4 Boston College
10 Providence vs. 7 Ohio State

Conference breakdowns

Hockey East — 5
ECAC Hockey — 3
NCHC — 3
Big Ten – 2
Atlantic Hockey – 1
Independent – 1
WCHA — 1

Personally, I'd much rather play in Allentown with PSU there than Worcester with BC there. If BC is a 2 seed, that mucks it all up. If I'm being honest, I'd take our region over any of the others. 

I think you're going to get tough games now no matter what region you play in.  How many times do people lament getting in a region with a team they think would be a tough nut to crack to get to the Frozen Four  and never get past the first game.  It happens every year, so you just better be playing good hockey at the time or you probably won't advance, regardless of region. 

Just now, tnt said:

I think you're going to get tough games now no matter what region you play in.  How many times do people lament getting in a region with a team they think would be a tough nut to crack to get to the Frozen Four  and never get past the first game.  It happens every year, so you just better be playing good hockey at the time or you probably won't advance, regardless of region. 

Of course, but I'd rather play certain teams lol.