SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Canisius January 4-5, 2019

Dave Berger

We aren’t good. Something is wrong at a core level.

Berry tossed out a cliche post game about the problem being a slow start. That’s like saying, ‘we just need to put the puck in the net’, ‘we just need to get the PP going’, ‘we just to play better’, ‘we just......’ 

Sounds like coach-speak from a coach that either doesn’t have a clue what’s wrong or doesn’t want to admit there are serious issues. 

Whatever the problem is, it goes much deeper than cliches. I don’t know what is wrong; crappy year-around conditioning, leadership, talent, bad coaching, lazy culture from staff thru players, nobody cares, recruiting from the wrong pool, don’t play angry, budget, beer? I’m clueless—but it feels like it’s not going to get fixed without a serious look in the mirror. 

1511 was arena attendance .....vs. BTN/ESPNU TV.......better exposure??????.... It's more than Wins/losses'....new wave of hockey players don't give a rat's butt about tradition......it's their exposure....fans certainly DO care about tradition.....also alums...but they don't play the game.......tough job being a college coach....of any sport....

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

You wrote: 

By your own arguement, Hakstol never won a single Frozen Four game at UND with his "own team."

In college hockey winning the natty needs a good team and a TON of luck.  Maybe that was the year we dinally caught a break.  If Hak was coaching that year I’m sure outcome wouldn’t have been too different.  The better teams you have (year in and out) the less luck you need obviously.  This team we have this year...a TON of luck is needed.

5 hours ago, Oldguy said:

This particular game, this pathetic start to the "all healthy" second half, just indicates that this program has got nothing this year.  Wouldn't be surprised if they lost tomorrow, too.  Showed nothing tonight at all.

I doubt they lose tomorrow, more likely than not they’ll crush them just to add salt to the wound.  The damage has already been done.  You can’t lose to these terrible teams because each week their losses are going to weigh us down.  The only hope is that we go on a big stretch against high end teams.

Another thing I noticed, why wasn’t Weatherby or Yon in?  I mean, we had keane and Bowen in? Healthy?

• Upvote 1

Generally I think a team, all players and coaches, care and give their best efforts each day and game. Sometimes there is a little more urgency but I would like to believe that everyone is consistently working hard to get better and be successful.

this being my mindset, I am led to believe that UND is lacking in evaluating talent and there  has been a noticeable decline in the last few years. But not only in our evaluation of players but by nhl scouts, based on the number of draftees we have and our limited success losing to teams with few nhl draftees.

In my opinion, coaching  competence is also a little suspect at this point 

Ahhhh. Dark times... Sure miss Greg Johnson, Jason Blake, Jeff Panzer, Bochenski, Duncan, Nelson,  Frattin (his veteran years) Boeser etc. You know, guys that were pure snipers and goal scorers. 

How the hell do you expect to win hockey games scoring 1, let alone averaging 1-2 goals a game?

Look, Duluth did it last year and made a run. Checks the mirror..., this UND team is no Duluth (last years team or current Duluth’s team). 

Can’t get any worse... that’s the positive thing  or can it?

Not sure what a worse slap in the face would be.....swept by Canisius, or winning huge with a "Look!!  We played a full 60", from Berry. 

It's a good thing Ole didn't make this trip with TH or we'd have to listen to another "pump the breaks/keyboard warriors" speech.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

In college hockey winning the natty needs a good team and a TON of luck.  Maybe that was the year we dinally caught a break.  If Hak was coaching that year I’m sure outcome wouldn’t have been too different.  The better teams you have (year in and out) the less luck you need obviously.  This team we have this year...a TON of luck is needed.

Keep telling yourself that.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Maybe that was the year we finally caught a break.

That team was so talented honestly that they could overcome bad luck/bounces. See the DU goal in the semis that bounced off Ausmus’ stick perfectly to go through Cam’s 5 hole. Put the CBS line on the ice and they take care of it.

11 hours ago, neoflex said:

I believe so...and in college hockey that's usually iron clad. So I guess we'll have to sit back and listen and see. 

Then your argument would suggest the same for Bubs, although our campaigns YoY were (and still are) relatively much better than theirs (Maine). I don’t think anybody is going to stand for 4 more seasons of this. Especially with the disappointing results these last three seasons. It’s not North Dakota tradition, and that’s influenced by the culture set forth by our bench bosses. Two words we hear almost too often from BB. We can’t keeping hinging on these “exciting” incoming classes of recruits to make a fundamental shift in how we approach the game. That’s not a knock on their talent at all, sincerely. It’s just that if you can’t make the most of the product you have now, that’s an everybody issue. Too much at stake to let that mentality continue to exist.

12 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Schloss tossing some sandbags postgame. 

When I read the tweet, he made it sound like UND was facing this new red hot goalie Canisius just acquired. But in reality:

Canisius brought new goalie Matt Ladd to campus over Christmas break to compete for the starting job, but since then, Weyrick has made two statement starts.

In the Herald article, Gardner admits to not getting a good start in the first period and then chasing the rest of the game. My question is, how could they have not had the motivation to come out hard from the get go? They had to know how critically important the game was going into it, right? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Godsmack said:

In the Herald article, Gardner admits to not getting a good start in the first period and then chasing the rest of the game. My question is, how could they have not had the motivation to come out hard from the get go? They had to know how critically important the game was going into it, right? 

They play for North Dakota and were facing a terrible Cannisius team. They just beat up a bunch of 17 year olds. Minimal effort needed, right? 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I would also question Berry giving this team 2 weeks off over Christmas when they clearly have ALOT to work on. When did they do all this work on special teams he speaks of?

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Those are questions that I ask myself quite often lately.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ChetSteadman said:

Like riding a roller coaster reading these threads.  They win tonight and it’ll be a complete 180 with some people.  So dramatic.

Based on the Pairwise and the NCHC standings, it's going to take more then a win tonight vs Canisius for a complete 180.

• Upvote 1