SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Canisius January 4-5, 2019

Dave Berger

Where is the coaching? If they are coasting in the first shorten the bench and get the guys who are going more shifts , I’d this park board hockey where every kid gets equal time. The PP is still !@#!$ even after they focused on it ? More good coaching. Denver hasn’t missed a beat and they changed coaches.

The good news is that we are 2-1 against teams in the bottom 10 of the pairwise.  

Although to be fair we should have lost the Saturday game to Anchorage (#60 of 60).

If we can lose to Canisius again tomorrow we can knock them out of the bottom 10. Then this loss won’t seem so bad. 

14 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

One thing I haven't been able to get out of my mind since last year is, how are we so talentless up front?  It should be almost impossible for a school of UND's reputation, alums, history, tradition, facilities, etc to have this bad of players.  It's like Berry tries not to get good players....that's the only explanation.  I actually like our D and goaltending, so who's running the show on the forward recruiting?

You hit it on the head, it just baffles me regarding our lack of finishing/talent up front.  I know college is a step up for the players but some of these guys put up big points before coming here (albeit at a lower level) but I see no/very little progression while they're here.  The sophs have some good names but we're now halfway thru their 2nd season now and there appears to be a few of them that are starting to look like the under-performing juniors and a few seniors in terms of offensive production.  Not a good trend indeed.  

Just now, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Where is the coaching? If they are coasting in the first shorten the bench and get the guys who are going more shifts , I’d this park board hockey where every kid gets equal time. The PP is still !@#!$ even after they focused on it ? More good coaching. Denver hasn’t missed a beat and they changed coaches.

Their coach is like 12 too. 

Just now, ChrisUND1 said:

Berry:

Gotta start earlier than we did.  

Gotta get a PP goal.

We gotta be better, we have a high bar here. 

Can't be part time, have to be full time.

Tomorrow, gotta play a hard road game.  A greasy one.  Gotta be ready from the drop of the puck.

#gotta

I’m sorry, when you have a former player in Jake Brandt say that “soft” is creeping into the culture at UND you have a problem.  Tim Hennessey doesn’t get it.  When you are playing a team like Canisius, you have to come out like it is the most important game of the year, because in some ways it is.  You can’t afford to lose to teams like that by not coming out strong.  We got lucky to come back against Anchorage to avert a bad situation, and you don’t learn a lesson.  What happened to the focus they were talking about at the start of the year in order to not miss the tournament again?  The motto that everything starts at zero shouldn’t apply to scoring goals.  Berry obviously isn’t getting the players to learn lessons.  Maybe it is time to sit guys like Mismash who shows no passion.  

OK, Shaw coaches D and PP.  Our D looks OK, but our PP really sucks.  So maybe split those duties?  Berry was a D-man, so that may be working out OK.  Dane is the one coaching the forwards.  Maybe THAT is what we need to change.....

• Upvote 1

Just and FYI that loss was a pairwise killer.  It would require us to darn near go undefeated the rest of the season, which won't come close to happening.  If you really thought the kids and staff were doing what they could to win you could get behind these guys.  Just isn't the case here.  Berry needs to go.  Recruiting just got a little tougher

• Upvote 1

Just now, tnt said:

I’m sorry, when you have a former player in Jake Brandt say that “soft” is creeping into the culture at UND you have a problem.  Tim Hennessey doesn’t get it.  When you are playing a team like Canisius, you have to come out like it is the most important game of the year, because in some ways it is.  You can’t afford to lose to teams like that by not coming out strong.  We got lucky to come back against Anchorage to avert a bad situation, and you don’t learn a lesson.  What happened to the focus they were talking about at the start of the year in order to not miss the tournament again?  The motto that everything starts at zero shouldn’t apply to scoring goals.  Berry obviously isn’t getting the players to learn lessons.  Maybe it is time to sit guys like Mismash who shows no passion.  

Mismash needs to go pro.  Ride a bus in the AHL or ECHL.....I can't remember a guy with more talent that plays so soft and doesn't care.  

Canisius should have been up 2-0 in the second period because of his d zone coverage and he gets bailed out by the hockey gods and gets a regular shift the 3rd period as a reward. 

4 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Mismash plays st half speed at best, if worked like Senden he would be a twenty goal scorer , Berry should show him a press box view tomorrow.

Mittelstadt would out work Mismash, and we all know how much time he put into the weight room. IMO Mismash was a guy that has raw skill early and didn't have to put in the extra effort ... we are seeing that catch up with him and exactly why he will not make it to the next level, unless he changes something.

Putting on a UND jersey doesn't make other teams bend over for you.

Being a second round pick doesn't make other teams bend over for your either.

Gotta put in the work, and he doesn't seem to do that.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bigmackattack said:

Just and FYI that loss was a pairwise killer.  It would require us to darn near go undefeated the rest of the season, which won't come close to happening.  If you really thought the kids and staff were doing what they could to win you could get behind these guys.  Just isn't the case here.  Berry needs to go.  Recruiting just got a little tougher

If they win tomorrow, a lot of things could still happen in the pairwise for UND to still slip into the tourney with a hand full of more losses....BUT they won’t need to worry about that because I bet my salary on them losing more than a small hand full. Sadly and honestly I think tomorrow’s game is a 50/50 win. That’s how poor these guys are. If they lost tomorrow I’d like to see berry gone and Jackson take over for the remainder of the season. It’ll never happen due to a number of reasons, but any type of change would only help things right now. Any available squirt B coaches out there available to take over the PP squad?! I’d be open to that 

Was tonight a pairwise killer? Yes. Do I think the season is lost? I do.

Does this team lack top end offensive talent? Definitely. Even so, I still can't fully wrap my head around how they are this awful offensively. This isn't a small sample size, we know they are, but I'm just not sure how. I'm not saying they have enough talent to be an offensive juggernaut, but they should be able to at least be respectable. There are a lot of guys on this team that put up pretty good numbers in juniors, how can none of them contribute consistently? UND's power play is never good, but how is it possible to go 0-20(?) going back to the UAA series? I just don't get it.

23 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Hak had teams more talented than the 2016 team.

Got no argument here, always made the playoffs. Teams choke/lose when it's one (loss) and done.  Sure wish Berry could put together talented teams or I'd just settle for making the effing playoffs. 

13 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Mismash plays st half speed at best, if worked like Senden he would be a twenty goal scorer , Berry should show him a press box view tomorrow.

I can't figure Mismash out.  He clearly has loads of talent but he half-asses it most the time, looking like he can't wait to get off the ice and is scared to shoot the damn puck at the net for some reason...

21 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

You hit it on the head, it just baffles me regarding our lack of finishing/talent up front.  I know college is a step up for the players but some of these guys put up big points before coming here (albeit at a lower level) but I see no/very little progression while they're here.  The sophs have some good names but we're now halfway thru their 2nd season now and there appears to be a few of them that are starting to look like the under-performing juniors and a few seniors in terms of offensive production.  Not a good trend indeed.  

It reminds me of the Twins who sign an offensively great hitter and then he comes in and can't hit worth s***.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bigmackattack said:

I agree with most of your post Ogie, but a win over a team like Cansuckis never helps your pairwise, only hurts if you lose and is dropped if you win.

Agreed, but I only mentioned a win because another loss or even a tie would surely drag them to a spot of no return in the pairwise. A win won’t have a positive effect