SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Canisius January 4-5, 2019

Dave Berger

42 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I was at the game tonight and while we had long stretches of zone time, we didn’t do anything with it. The shots we did put on net were either logo busters or the goalie had a clear view of them for easy saves. We don’t seem to have any creativity in the offensive zone and no finishers.

Since you were there, what else did you see...did they try to juggle the lines, or were they just jumbled up because of all the special teams play.  Did we have any net front presence?  Did we come out of the game healthy?  Did they look "off" from the beginning?

2 minutes ago, hky said:

Since you were there, what else did you see...did they try to juggle the lines, or were they just jumbled up because of all the special teams play.  Did we have any net front presence?  Did we come out of the game healthy?  Did they look "off" from the beginning?

What's net front presence?  The point of the game is rack up as many shots from blue line and side boards as possible.

The bad news is, as far as I could tell, we came out healthy....which means we have the same team wearing green tomorrow.  The good news is

4 minutes ago, hky said:

It’s too hard for me to say if lines get juggled or not but taking all those penalties didn’t help create any sort of continuity. My experience with Atlantic Hockey refs is that there’s always an element of home cookin’ but I’d admit we made it easy on them to call the penalties that they called on us. 

The first period was a bad indicator of things to come. We had zone time and very few shots to speak of. Very little in the way of good looks in between the hash marks. Credit Canisius for packing things in tight in front of their goalie.

2 minutes ago, neoflex said:

Well...and in other news. Look like Maine is going to go after Hak. I'd like to think he's going to stick around the NHL, but who knows. We could sure use his magic.

Didn’t Gendron just sign an extension there last spring?

Just now, Godsmack said:

And in other hockey news, Ohio State and Michigan State skated to a 7-7 overtime tie. Has UND even scored 7 goals all season? :)

Like I mentioned above.  We have one forward with 10 or more points (he has 11).  We have five forwards with more than four points.  In January.

• Downvote 1

2013-14 I believe was our worst scoring year since Hak had taken over.  The top six forwards from a points standpoint totaled 161 points (65 goals) in 42 games.  That's 3.8 ppg and 1.5 gpg.  

This year our top six forwards from a points standpoint have 47 total points (23 goals) in 18 games.  That's 2.6 ppg and 1.2 ppg.  2013-14 was a frustrating year.  This year is just awful.

The good news in all this is, UND managed to sneak into the tournament that year, came to life a little, and made the Frozen Four (the start of three in a row, with the title coming in the third one).

31 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

Like I mentioned above.  We have one forward with 10 or more points (he has 11).  We have five forwards with more than four points.  In January.

Remember when Zach Parise had four points alone in his first ever collegiate game (oddly enough, against Canisius)?  And then had 8 points after his second game?
He'd have been the leading scorer of this team after four games.  :D:(

• Upvote 1

Just now, brianvf said:

Remember when Zach Parise had four points alone in his first ever collegiate game (oddly enough, against Canisius)?  And then had 8 points after his second game?
He'd have been the leading scorer of this team after four games.  :D:(

And that was when clutching and grabbing was worse than it is now.