SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Jones Mismash Kawaguchi is your top line next year.

Gardner JJ and Adams is your 2nd line if Gardner returns.

Yon Hoff and Smith would be a decent 3rd line.

Mismash has to go into the corners more if he's a first liner.

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Meh. I still don't think they we're pegged as guys to play a grinder role as frankly, that's not their body type. Regardless... moving on.

If I remember, Bowen played quite a few games at Defense in juniors. Yon was a scorer in high school...not so much in Juniors but he has good speed and the ability to take away time and space. Neither guy was recruited to fill a top 6 forward slot.

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Jones Mismash Kawaguchi is your top line next year.

Gardner JJ and Adams is your 2nd line if Gardner returns.

Yon Hoff and Smith would be a decent 3rd line.

Smith is going to be a 4th liner.  That third line needs production. Maybe hain, Weatherby or Bowen.

15 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

The top 3 didn’t score, but at least didn’t give up ES goals.  Not so much for Bowen and Adams.

Allow me to toss in this season's +/- for each (collegehockeystats.net doesn't list career +/-) : 

Simonson: 35 games, +10
Olson: 28 games, even
Smith: 37 games, +7
Bowen: 30 games, -8 
Yon: 26 games,  -5

For reference/comparison: 
Best plus by D: Poolman +14 (40 games)
Best plus by F: Simonson (35 games)
Worst by D: Peski -3 (34 games) 
Worst by F: Bowen and Adams -8 (30 games, 26 games)

Top 5 +/- for season:
14 - Poolman
12 - Wolanin
11 - Thome  
10 - Simonson
9 - Jones/Janatuinen (tied) 

Worst 5 +/- for season:
-8 - Bowen, Adams 
-5 - Yon
-4 - Hoff
-3 - Peski
-2 - Kawaguchi, Kierstad

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Bowen and Yon we were recruited as Top 6-type players, so this doesn't fit into the "affection" for bottom 6 guys. They just haven't panned out, thus far. We'll see.

I still think Bowen could be, if he stays healthy, but he better take a big step forward next year

If I'm Berry, I'm focusing on getting my guys to SHOOT THE PUCK in the off season.

So many times, our guys would hesitate on a shot, wait a half a second too long, and their shoot lane would close. Or they would try to get way to fancy with an extra pass, which would turn into a missed opportunity (Pogo started doing this more and more, missed a great chance in St. Paul).

Adams seemed invisible towards the second half of the season, but I remember he carrying the puck around the circle and into the slot and letting a wrist shot go for a goal early in the season. Heck of a snipe, but we just didn't see any more of that.

Hoping to see some shooters next season!

57 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yeah, so this one outlier qualifies you more than the coaches... got it.

Not at all.........my point is lots of athletes/players look great in practice but that doesn't translate to game performances. From what I have heard UND has had a few of those the past couple of years. 

31 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

If I'm Berry, I'm focusing on getting my guys to SHOOT THE PUCK in the off season.

So many times, our guys would hesitate on a shot, wait a half a second too long, and their shoot lane would close. Or they would try to get way to fancy with an extra pass, which would turn into a missed opportunity (Pogo started doing this more and more, missed a great chance in St. Paul).

Adams seemed invisible towards the second half of the season, but I remember he carrying the puck around the circle and into the slot and letting a wrist shot go for a goal early in the season. Heck of a snipe, but we just didn't see any more of that.

Hoping to see some shooters next season!

Need somebody like Kristo or Luke Johnson. 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Smith is going to be a 4th liner.  That third line needs production. Maybe hain, Weatherby or Bowen.

100% agree. He works hard but has horrendous hands therefore should not play on a scoring line. His assets are to use his size and speed for puck retrieval.

• Upvote 2

Obviously we all hope and expect our team to return to the NCAA tourny next season, but I'm surprised there hasn't been any discussion on here regarding how absolutely critical it is that they do so for the sake of experience.  Next years senior class, except Jones, will be able to share the lessons learned from their magical run to the Natty as freshmen.  The juniors will have a grand total of 1 NCAA game under their belts.  The underclassmen will have none.  This team is only a year away from not knowing what a Frozen Four is like!  I think that those experiences produce more success, more experience, and so on.  It is THAT cycle that I hope remains unbroken even though the NCAA streak is over.  The team was actually quite good this year, and I'm not in the alarmist/sack Bubs camp, but we need to start a new streak right away.  The end.

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Good new in Poolman. Figured Jones would be back. Eyes on Gersich,Wolanin and Gardner

I figured Jones would be back, but got worried when I saw his name on a list of top college free agents published in a Canadian site. So good news! 

8 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Good new in Poolman. Figured Jones would be back. Eyes on Gersich,Wolanin and Gardner

Of the 4 possible departures, Jones not included, getting Colton back is the most important IMO.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Of the 4 possible departures, Jones not included, getting Colton back is the most important IMO.

Why post this where the players and their parents can see this? They are all important. Rhett Gardner is a great defensive center and great at faceoffs. Christian Wolanin is probably the best offensive defenseman in the NCHC and a great leader. Shane Gersich played very well the 2nd half of the year and his speed and skill is hard to replace. Colton Poolman is one of the best defenseman in the NCHC and is very underrated. I hope they all come back. If they do, watch out for UND next season. 

• Downvote 3

4 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

Why post this where the players and their parents can see this? They are all important. Rhett Gardner is a great defensive center and great at faceoffs. Christian Wolanin is probably the best offensive defenseman in the NCHC and a great leader. Shane Gersich played very well the 2nd half of the year and his speed and skill is hard to replace. Colton Poolman is one of the best defenseman in the NCHC and is very underrated. I hope they all come back. If they do, watch out for UND next season. 

Out of all the things Oxbow has posted this is about the least offensive, you must be new :lol:

And having an opinion that Colton is an integral part of this team isn't exactly controversial.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I assumed Wolanin and Gersich would be gone and wait and see on the rest. I agree that getting Colton back is very important. I hope Gardner comes back we need center depth.

6 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

If comments made on a fan forum while in college are the reason a player has for leaving a team, then professional hockey is not in their future.

12 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

EFEE8054-469A-439A-95C0-60B361DC688C.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1