SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

42 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

I suspect that Bowen was not, but the hope was Yon would be able to put the puck in the net when he was recruited while in HS.  Nothing in his junior career gave the appearance of a scorer at the college level.

His point totals were never great but his goals per game was actually decent.  He still has time to get to a top nine role in college. 

4 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Bowen and Yon we were recruited as Top 6-type players, so this doesn't fit into the "affection" for bottom 6 guys. They just haven't panned out, thus far. We'll see.

...come on man....you just made that up :)

1 hour ago, fsioux said:

Brad's article on Wolanin, Gersich, Gardner and Poolman hopefully is considered by each of these guys in their decision process.  Pretty telling that 75 percent of those that weren't first or second round draft picks that left early in the past 2 years have yet to play a single game in the NHL.  Some never will.  They need to use all the leverage they have available and not make a hasty and bad emotional decision.  Hopefully talking to some of their ex-teammates.

Let's say all four leave.......based on the stats above 3 of them won't sniff a minute in the NHL. None of these four are Toews, Boeser, Oshie or N. Schmaltz. Look at how good Forbort and LaDue were in college and how long it took them to see NHL playing time.  Gregoire, Hextall............the list is long of guys who left too early.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Let's say all four leave.......based on the stats above 3 of them won't sniff a minute in the NHL. None of these four are Toews, Boeser, Oshie or N. Schmaltz. Look at how good Forbort and LaDue were in college and how long it took them to see NHL playing time.  Gregoire, Hextall............the list is long of guys who left too early.

I never did think Hextall would get very far in professional hockey. 

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Not disagreeing, but Ladue did play in 22 NHL games last year, his first year out of college. 9 so far this year.

5 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

Not disagreeing, but Ladue did play in 22 NHL games last year, his first year out of college. 9 so far this year.

31 out of 154...........got it. He is an exception as a 6th rounder.

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

31 out of 154...........got it. He is an exception as a 6th rounder.

...and was a very good college defensemen.  His situation is a bit different though, he’s crack most rosters. LA is loaded at D.  He was also old when he left UND.

• Upvote 1

I believe we need to cut loose a couple current players prior to next year. In the past we prided ourself on our 3rd - 4th line role players (Kaip, Prpich, Hextall, Gaarder, Pattyn, Rowney, etc, etc). Our ability to find those role players set us apart from our rivals. But now we have an over abundance of average 3rd - 4th line guys. I’d love to see Berry change that this summer. Yes it’s not a good luck to pull scholarships but after this past season and the recruiting class at forward coming in, that 3rd and 4th line is getting awefuly crowded with 4th & 5th line guys IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, sprig said:

The was parody in the UND/UMD game when  2 UND players took each other out.  Happened at least  times.  SPLAT

Not funny at the time,  but i could laugh if i could watch it again. 

The first time...Shane and Rhett?...was a nasty, loud collision 

5 hours ago, ChadR said:

I believe we need to cut loose a couple current players prior to next year. In the past we prided ourself on our 3rd - 4th line role players (Kaip, Prpich, Hextall, Gaarder, Pattyn, Rowney, etc, etc). Our ability to find those role players set us apart from our rivals. But now we have an over abundance of average 3rd - 4th line guys. I’d love to see Berry change that this summer. Yes it’s not a good luck to pull scholarships but after this past season and the recruiting class at forward coming in, that 3rd and 4th line is getting awefuly crowded with 4th & 5th line guys IMO.

Who do you replace them with, guys that fans will say aren't scoring either?   Guys who scored a lot at their previous level didn't score much last year, so who are you going to find at the last minute who will put up more goals, and even if they put up a few more, they may have to figure out things on the defensive end like Adams. 

6 hours ago, ChadR said:

And what would this accomplish? We'd only be able to get similar players to replace them this late in the game.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Adams has muscle...he’s not getting too much bigger.  He should have played through his struggles.  Berry far too quick to pull the plug on some guys.  He’s too quick to pull the plug on Johnson at D too. There has been some games where I thought Johnson looked very solid...and he was only a freshmen/sophomore.  This thinking that guys have to be 100% developed immediately is ridiculous.

I really couldn't figure out why Adams had such a short leash yet Kawaguchi was put out there every night. Yes Kawaguchi came on in the second half but all the things describing Adams (not strong, defensive liability) all describe Kawaguchi as well. I had Adams as the much better player in the first half. A stiff breeze could knock Guch off the puck and his skating is suspect at best.

1 minute ago, I Ranger said:

I really couldn't figure out why Adams had such a short leash yet Kawaguchi was put out there every night. Yes Kawaguchi came on in the second half but all the things describing Adams (not strong, defensive liability) all describe Kawaguchi as well. I had Adams as the much better player in the first half. A stiff breeze could knock Guch off the puck and his skating is suspect at best.

I'm optimistic that Guch is going to be a player.   He might be one of those whose "ice intelligence" takes a while to develop.   The game seemed to slow down a little for him the last part of the season.   That kind of development is important for this group, because they need guys who can score.  That's why Mismash's development next year will also be very important.  I say those things without regard to team culture factors. 

6 hours ago, ChadR said:

As you can see by the lineup that we sent out the vast majority of the second half, these are the type of players the head man prefers apparently. As has been stated on this board numerous times, when an offensively challenged team sits three pretty skilled forwards (Hoff, Adams, Yon) for a slow footed defensive defenseman at forward something is wrong. Offensive skilled forwards had extremely short leashes whereas our low-skilled grinder type forwards had miles. To me Smith is a great example. He had two or three good weekends in a row in November-December which bought him a regular lineup spot the rest of the year even though he did basically nothing in the second half.

24 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

And Adams still had more goals

8 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

As you can see by the lineup that we sent out the vast majority of the second half, these are the type of players the head man prefers apparently. As has been stated on this board numerous times, when an offensively challenged team sits three pretty skilled forwards (Hoff, Adams, Yon) for a slow footed defensive defenseman at forward something is wrong. Offensive skilled forwards had extremely short leashes whereas our low-skilled grinder type forwards had miles. To me Smith is a great example. He had two or three good weekends in a row in November-December which bought him a regular lineup spot the rest of the year even though he did basically nothing in the second half.

Adams had 1 points in his last 11 games.  Prior to the last game, Hoff had 1 point in 11 games.  If he played like he did in the last game he would have won the Hobey Baker.  That wasn't indicative of his play for the year.  Yon had 3 points all year.   You can't call these guys skilled forwards at this point at the college level.  If you're not scoring you better be doing other things to get on the ice.

Smith, Olsen, and Simonson definitely weren't scoring either, but check the stats.  They didn't allow goals.   They aren't easy to play against.  Simonson's +/- is amazing considering his lack of offensive production.

I have a ton of hope in Hoff and Adams.  Both have the ability to be productive offensively.  I think they both get there, but they weren't there last year.

• Upvote 1