SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

19 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Not at all.........my point is lots of athletes/players look great in practice but that doesn't translate to game performances. From what I have heard UND has had a few of those the past couple of years. 

Yeah but Wade Murphy just needed more time to develop.  

Assuming that the potential early signees are now Wolanin, Gardner & Gersich, it's critical that 1 of the 3 return. To over simplify it, if one returns, I'd put them in the pre-season 10-15. If two of the three return, I believe they should be a pre-season top 10.

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

Assuming that the potential early signees are now Wolanin, Gardner & Gersich, it's critical that 1 of the 3 return. To over simplify it, if one returns, I'd put them in the pre-season 10-15. If two of the three return, I believe they should be a pre-season top 10.

Thinking Rhett returns, and Gersich would be the bonus

I never thought I'd say this but here it is: 
Rhett Gardner is more important to return than Shane Gersich. 

Shane just seemed disengaged on the ice this year. It was probably the difference between having teams focus on Schmaltz and Boeser (not him) and now being the focus and at times shut down. He disappeared for long stretches. 

And the numbers don't lie: Look at the second half record with and without Gardner in the lineup. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Shane just seemed disengaged on the ice this year. It was probably the difference between having teams focus on Schmaltz and Boeser (not him) and now being the focus and at times shut down. He disappeared for long stretches. 

And the numbers don't lie: Look at the second half record with and without Gardner in the lineup. 

Agreed. Between the defense and faceoffs, the team really missed Rhett.

And for all the slack he gets for "stupid penalties", Wolanin was in the box more and Smith had VERY untimely penalties

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Wade Murphy would have helped us last year.  Just like Wilkie would have helped us this year.

Not to mention Gornall has to greatly regret his hasty decision as he would have seen plenty of ice time based on the lineups we were consistently sending out the second half of the season.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Out of all the things Oxbow has posted this is about the least offensive, you must be new :lol:

And having an opinion that Colton is an integral part of this team isn't exactly controversial.

Yup. Oxbow and I don't always see eye-to-eye, but this wasn't bad at all.

7 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Not to mention Gornall has to greatly regret his hasty decision as he would have seen plenty of ice time based on the lineups we were consistently sending out the second half of the season.

Agreed. I wish Mike would have been able to have a little foresight on this. He'd be a big minutes guy for this team in 18-19, IMO. With that said, he might be chastised on here for being a bottom six player :D

1 hour ago, franchise said:

As did Wilkie, D Toews, Forney...

2 years, 62 games, left after his sophomore year
2 years, 55 games, left after his sophomore year 
2 years, 19 games, left after his sophomore year

1 hour ago, TheFlop said:

Yeah but Wade Murphy just needed more time to develop.  

2 years, 35 games, left after his sophomore year

These aren't exactly shining examples of kids the staff held onto too long. Also doesn't seem to be a coincidence that all 4 left after their sophomore year....

I'm going to follow up jdub's post with my thoughts on a current player. 

2 years, 60 games, a 4-6-10 scoring line, DNP last five games and seven of last nine. <-- Name the player. In the "Name 'em Game" thread I'm on record predicting no return for this one. I have no insights other than those number and program history. 

That said, and by the same theory and current course and trajectory, Mr. Adams needs to step up over the next 12 months.

And before some of you jump me for posting such things, look back at the data and the history. As you see, jdub has already done a lot of it for you.

50 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hard to argue with that fact.

I was surprised when looking at the stats that Gersich finished with 29 points, which was only 8 less than last year. Really hope we don't have to try to replace his 29 points.

Given the news coming out yesterday, we know what's going to happen with Jones, Poolman and Wolanin. Waiting on Garnder / Gersich how is everyone feeling now? I always thought Gersich / Wolanin would be the only two that leave early, but I'm slightly more optimistic about Gersich. I still wouldn't bet on it, but I'm happy that we really haven't heard much at all.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm going to follow up jdub's post with my thoughts on a current player. 

2 years, 60 games, a 4-6-10 scoring line, DNP last five games and seven of last nine. <-- Name the player. In the "Name 'em Game" thread I'm on record predicting no return for this one. I have no insights other than those number and program history. 

That said, and by the same theory and current course and trajectory, Mr. Adams needs to step up over the next 12 months.

And before some of you jump me for posting such things, look back at the data and the history. As you see, jdub has already done a lot of it for you.

Yon?

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Wade Murphy would have helped us last year.  Just like Wilkie would have helped us this year.

While at UND......

Murphy: 34 games 4 points (no goals)

Wilkie: 62 games 19 points

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

While at UND......

Murphy: 34 games 4 points (no goals)

Wilkie: 62 games 19 points

They were sophomores. All I said is that they would have helped. Murphy had like 20 points last season.  Probably wouldnt have bolted early had he stayed.

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

They were sophomores. All I said is that they would have helped. Murphy had like 20 points last season.  Probably wouldnt have bolted early had he stayed.

He probably wouldnt have bolted early had he stayed here? Thanks Captain Obvious! :D

Meant in good fun!

Just now, Ray77 said:

He probably wouldnt have bolted early had he stayed here? Thanks Captain Obvious! :D

Meant in good fun!

Huh, not following?  I meant last year (at ASU) he signed a pro deal after his third year of eligibility...thus foregoing his final year of eligibility :)

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

Huh, not following?  I meant last year (at ASU) he signed a pro deal after his third year of eligibility...thus foregoing his final year of eligibility :)

Kind of hard to fault him for signing after he had to sit out a year. The way things have gone at ASU he was probably told he wasn’t coming back. 

10 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Kind of hard to fault him for signing after he had to sit out a year. The way things have gone at ASU he was probably told he wasn’t coming back. 

Huh?

he was there leading or second leading scorer. WHy wouldn’t they have wanted him back?

• Upvote 1

I think as important as who is returning is player development - an area that usually is our strength but turned out to be a huge disappointment this year.  Most of the roster played at the same level or less than the previous year.  I'm not sure if this has to do with coaching, dedication, or maybe some guys have topped out, but for this program to move forward we need some guys to up their game in a serious way - especially without our usual high end talent.  Can we get it done for next year?  _ I'm not sure having seen very little from a group of players - especially the sophomore class.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Irish said:

I think as important as who is returning is player development - an area that usually is our strength but turned out to be a huge disappointment this year.  Most of the roster played at the same level or less than the previous year.  I'm not sure if this has to do with coaching, dedication, or maybe some guys have topped out, but for this program to move forward we need some guys to up their game in a serious way - especially without our usual high end talent.  Can we get it done for next year?  _ I'm not sure having seen very little from a group of players - especially the sophomore class.

Sure some players lacked development, but many players also grew by the boatload. 

I'll give Bowen a pass due to injury. JJ had a better run towards the end of the year. Hoff and Peski were my two main disappointments, but they are both capable of taking steps forward. Hoff was fantastic in the third place game.

Kawaguchi, Regier and Kierstad developed really well. 

Adams is TBD for me. The talent level is clear. He just need to develop his physicality.