SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

Current active NCAA appearance streaks:

Denver - 11

Providence - 5

BU, UMD - 4

Notre Dame - 3

Schools, even really good programs, typically miss the tournament from time to time.  Given the parody now in college hockey, we may never see a 15 year run of NCAA tournament appearances like UND just had for a long time....or ever again!!

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Denver - 11

Providence - 5

BU, UMD - 4

Notre Dame - 3

Schools, even really good programs, typically miss the tournament from time to time.  Given the parody now in college hockey, we may never see a 15 year run of NCAA tournament appearances like UND just had for a long time....or ever again!!

Denver needed an autobid in 2014 to keep there’s going also. 

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Let's check back in like 5 years so Bubbs can have more than 2 of "his" recruits on the team, shall we? 

Btw his two... Kawaguchi, which everyone sees as the most improved player on the team; and Jones, our leading goal scorer and a player who will wear a letter in his season season. Pretty good, so far :)

Rieger was his recruit too...although in my mind as soon as Berry took the job the entire team and pipeline became his recruits especially because he was in on recruiting most of them. If there was anyone he thought wasn't a good fit or couldn't play at UND he would have cut them lose like Mattson this year.

43 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

15 forwards.
How many are legitimate "top six" guys? 

We have this strange affection for bottom six grinder guys.
Yes, you need them, but not 12 of the 15 forwards. 

Simonson: 139 games, 9 goals
Olson: 121 games, 11 goals
Smith: 66 games, 8 goals
Bowen: 66 games, 8 goals
Yon: 60 games, 4 goals 

This team needs offense, both mindset and production. 

Good post. There’s more than 5x5 hockey. I get building a team to play in the postseason is important (when refs swallow their whistles)...but you have to get there first.

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Denver - 11

Providence - 5

BU, UMD - 4

Notre Dame - 3

@UNDBIZ and @stoneySIOUX

c'mon, now they're just trolling me!  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Given the parody now in college hockey, we may never see a 15 year run of NCAA tournament appearances like UND just had...

Sorry, but I don't see the humor in UND missing the tournament...

...OR DO I?  :lol:

• Upvote 1

Brad's article on Wolanin, Gersich, Gardner and Poolman hopefully is considered by each of these guys in their decision process.  Pretty telling that 75 percent of those that weren't first or second round draft picks that left early in the past 2 years have yet to play a single game in the NHL.  Some never will.  They need to use all the leverage they have available and not make a hasty and bad emotional decision.  Hopefully talking to some of their ex-teammates.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Sorry, but I don't see the humor in UND missing the tournament...

...OR DO I?  :lol:

The was parody in the UND/UMD game when  2 UND players took each other out.  Happened at least  times.  SPLAT

Not funny at the time,  but i could laugh if i could watch it again. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Bowen and Yon we were recruited as Top 6-type players, so this doesn't fit into the "affection" for bottom 6 guys. They just haven't panned out, thus far. We'll see.

LOL good try there bud.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

15 forwards.
How many are legitimate "top six" guys? 

We have this strange affection for bottom six grinder guys.
Yes, you need them, but not 12 of the 15 forwards. 

Simonson: 139 games, 9 goals
Olson: 121 games, 11 goals
Smith: 66 games, 8 goals
Bowen: 66 games, 8 goals
Yon: 60 games, 4 goals 

This team needs offense, both mindset and production. 

The top 3 didn’t score, but at least didn’t give up ES goals.  Not so much for Bowen and Adams.

1 hour ago, fsioux said:

Brad's article on Wolanin, Gersich, Gardner and Poolman hopefully is considered by each of these guys in their decision process.  Pretty telling that 75 percent of those that weren't first or second round draft picks that left early in the past 2 years have yet to play a single game in the NHL.  Some never will.  They need to use all the leverage they have available and not make a hasty and bad emotional decision.  Hopefully talking to some of their ex-teammates.

I'm surprised Brad isn't ENCOURAGING them to go pro so that they can donate 10% of their signing bonus back to the university in the hopes of reinstating women's hockey!