SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

Even though the year is over and for as frustrating as this team was offensively and the PP was the worst I've ever seen, it's crazy to think that if UND just didn't get swept by Western in Grand Forks, if they won the Friday game they dominated, they would have finished 3rd and not 5th in the NCHC. 

• Upvote 1

Lots of coulda shoulda, but they didn't.  I've never been so angry about a season, not even in 2002, when they only won 16 games.  That team was flat out too young.  They did relatively well the year after. 

This season was bad loss after bad loss by a team that was not young - just underperforming.  Some say the players aren't talented enough, or the system robs them of creativity.  Either way, the program has taken a huge step backward, and that is what many of us who get angry about poor seasons care about.  I don't expect Natties, or even Frozen Fours, every year, but I sure as hell expect better than we got the last two years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

Well, getting ready to wtach Bison in NCAA BB. Much rather be getting ready to watch UND play hockey.........(deep sigh) 

Hockey @ the X with an at large bid still alive would of been great. Now, it's watch the rivalry teams of two upper level sports make some noise.

3 hours ago, Sodbuster said:

Well, getting ready to wtach Bison in NCAA BB. Much rather be getting ready to watch UND play hockey.........(deep sigh) 

Watching SU play Duke is like watching UND play Canisius.  Mismatch

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Oldguy said:

Lots of coulda shoulda, but they didn't.  I've never been so angry about a season, not even in 2002, when they only won 16 games.  That team was flat out too young.  They did relatively well the year after. 

This season was bad loss after bad loss by a team that was not young - just underperforming.  Some say the players aren't talented enough, or the system robs them of creativity.  Either way, the program has taken a huge step backward, and that is what many of us who get angry about poor seasons care about.  I don't expect Natties, or even Frozen Fours, every year, but I sure as hell expect better than we got the last two years.

They’ll be a lot better next year.  Hopefully the PP starts clicking.  But they’ll definitely get in next year. The only thing that worries me is that senior class.  Would be huge if poolman stuck around for one more.

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2019 at 7:56 AM, scpa0305 said:

They’ll be a lot better next year.  Hopefully the PP starts clicking.  But they’ll definitely get in next year. The only thing that worries me is that senior class.  Would be huge if poolman stuck around for one more.

Your prayers have been answered.

List of teams that won more than 2 Hockey Nattys

Michigan

1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998

Denver

1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005, 2017

North Dakota

1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Wisconsin

1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Boston College

1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Boston University

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Minnesota

1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Lake Superior State

1988, 1992, 1994

Michigan State

1966, 1986, 2007

Michigan Tech

1962, 1965, 1975

2018-2019 final Pairwise Rankings of NCAA Div I Hockey teams > 2 Nattys

Denver                           8
Minnesota                   19
North Dakota               20
Lake Superior State    22
Boston University       25
Wisconsin                    27
Michigan                      28
Michigan State            32
Boston College            34       
Michigan Tech             42

Disappointing we didn’t get in the NCAA’s, we would of had to move up 5 spots - to 15th.
Denver was only one in this group to make NCAA tourney.
I will be cheering for Denver to lose in the first round.

• Upvote 2

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So he should have said something to the trainers and doctors after his surgery and probably would have gotten a red-shirt season, instead he didn't say anything until it was to late.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, cberkas said:

So he should have said something to the trainers and doctors after his surgery and probably would have gotten a red-shirt season, instead he didn't say anything until it was to late.

I may be misinterpreting your post, but it seems you're blaming him for not expressing his concerns earlier to coaches/trainers. While I agree that it could have been helpful, I also think when you get to the upper levels of competitive hockey, there's a stigma to admitting something is wrong and seeking that help.  Hell, it's something that has a stigma in everyday life.

I think instead of blaming the player, we blame and work to fix the culture of making players feel like they have to hide/play through their problems/injuries. Every year, we hear about guys who play through some horrific types of injuries that would have sidelined a normal person for months. And we applaud the guys for being tough and old-time hockey players. And that's what these kids feel: they need to push through the pain and suffering, even if it's detrimental to the team at times. And especially, even if it's detrimental to their long-term health.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, cberkas said:

He tried to play through it. Went through a million tests. Kept trying to play. Seems like a hockey player that most would laud around here. 

Instead, he was having his attitude and toughness questioned.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, cberkas said:

Just to point out...Kaip never told the coaches that he was having post-concussion syndrome symptoms.  Hakstol only found out because Kaip forgot what drill they were doing in the middle of a practice.

There are a lot of hockey players who would push through symptoms and not tell because they want to play.

Didn’t he also say something in the article about what the guys would think about something that had no diagnosis.   I am sure fans questioning him didn’t make it easier to say he has this problem that can’t be identified.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, tnt said:

Didn’t he also say something in the article about what the guys would think about something that had no diagnosis.   I am sure fans questioning him didn’t make it easier to say he has this problem that can’t be identified.

Hockey players have a lot of pride. Sounds like JJ wanted to be there for his team.