SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Jones Mismash Kawaguchi is your top line next year.

Gardner JJ and Adams is your 2nd line if Gardner returns.

Yon Hoff and Smith would be a decent 3rd line.

Is anyone seriously concerned Gardner won’t be back? 

I mean, I know he was injured a bit, but he still only had 20 points... 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

Is anyone seriously concerned Gardner won’t be back? 

I mean, I know he was injured a bit, but he still only had 20 points... 

My Ferris Bueller 31 Flavors source says DAL will make a serious run to get him to sign.

19 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Adams had 1 points in his last 11 games.  Prior to the last game, Hoff had 1 point in 11 games.  If he played like he did in the last game he would have won the Hobey Baker.  That wasn't indicative of his play for the year.  Yon had 3 points all year.   You can't call these guys skilled forwards at this point at the college level.  If you're not scoring you better be doing other things to get on the ice.

Smith, Olsen, and Simonson definitely weren't scoring either, but check the stats.  They didn't allow goals.   They aren't easy to play against.  Simonson's +/- is amazing considering his lack of offensive production.

I have a ton of hope in Hoff and Adams.  Both have the ability to be productive offensively.  I think they both get there, but they weren't there last year.

As interesting as this discussion is, to me it highlights our total lack of firepower.  I can't believe that we are caught this short of scorers.  Denver has 3 in the top 5 of NCHC scorers --Western Michigan has 3 sophomores in the top 25 - hell, Colorado College has 2 in the top 10.  We have 1 forward in the top 25.  Totally unacceptable.  Time to hit the recruiting trail hard.  Are our assistants any help at all in recruiting?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Simonson: 139 games, 9 goals
Olson: 121 games, 11 goals
Smith: 66 games, 8 goals
Bowen: 66 games, 8 goals
Yon: 60 games, 4 goals 

1 minute ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

You score zero points from the stands, freshman go through slumps, let them play through it and gain confidence.

Yup.

17 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

It's almost as if the coaches have some sort of insight from watching the guys practice every single day beyond what the casual fan sees 6 hours a week.

Didn't UND have a practice All-Star a couple years back that could not score in a game????  Because practice is where things matter. :silly:

iverson.jpg

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Those two had good production in HS hockey and don't physically play a grinder role. I don't understand what y'all are hung up on. Wasn't Yon a Mr. Hockey finalist?

Single A hockey.  Both projected and did go undrafted, both did not produce great in juniors...especially Bowen.

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So if a kid happens to attend a smaller school, they are automatically inferior? Does the name T.J. Oshie ring a bell? SMH #class2Ahockeysnobbery

I was so close to writing “yes I know Oshie came from a small school” in parentheses behind that comment, as I know this forum so well by now.  But got lazy.  What round did oshie go in?  Respectfully, read the whole post. #keyboardwarrior

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I was so close to writing “yes I know Oshie came from a small school” in parentheses behind that comment, as I know this forum so well by now.  But got lazy.  What round did oshie go in?  Respectfully, read the whole post. #keyboardwarrior

I did read the whole post (it wasn't that long to begin with). My point is that the class system in Minnesota is based on enrollment. Bigger schools have more depth than smaller schools. But that doesn't mean you can't find future college stars in Single A. Lack of depth does not equal total lack of talent. #nooffensemeant

And for the record, I love Dixon Bowen. He got screwed out of the biggest goal in his young life last year in Fargo and I hope he gets another chance like that in the future.

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I did read the whole post (it wasn't that long to begin with). My point is that the class system in Minnesota is based on enrollment. Bigger schools have more depth than smaller schools. But that doesn't mean you can't find future college stars in Single A. Lack of depth does not equal total lack of talent. #nooffensemeant

And for the record, I love Dixon Bowen. He got screwed out of the biggest goal in his young life last year in Fargo and I hope he gets another chance like that in the future.

Yes I do realize that you can find college stars at the single A level and guess what, in many cases they are drafted high and dominate juniors.  In oshie case he was shredding nationally before he ever played a high school game.  He was a lock....went in the first round as a late birth year.  

My point was that Bowen and Yon (to an extent as his junior goal numbers were not bad) only dominated at the single A high school level, did not flourish whatsoever at the junior level (more so Bowen here), and neither were drafted in any of the 7 nhl draft rounds.  Given UND program, tradition, and success...I doubt these boys were recruited to play heavy top 6 minutes (again...moreso Bowen here).  That is what I meant by my post...didn’t think I had to explain it in detail.  It was not a bash on single A Hockey.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Yes I do realize that you can find college stars at the single A level and guess what, in many cases they are drafted high and dominate juniors.  In oshie case he was shredding nationally before he ever played a high school game.  He was a lock....went in the first round as a late birth year.  

My point was that Bowen and Yon (to an extent as his junior goal numbers were not bad) only dominated at the single A high school level, did not flourish whatsoever at the junior level (more so Bowen here), and neither were drafted in any of the 7 nhl draft rounds.  Given UND program, tradition, and success...I doubt these boys were recruited to play heavy top 6 minutes (again...moreso Bowen here).  That is what I meant by my post...didn’t think I had to explain it in detail.  It was not a bash on single A Hockey.

Roseau plays AA, not A. Warroad plays single A. Roseau is in the same conference with Bemidji, Moorhead, Brainerd, etc. 

35 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Single A hockey.  Both projected and did go undrafted, both did not produce great in juniors...especially Bowen.

Meh. I still don't think they we're pegged as guys to play a grinder role as frankly, that's not their body type. Regardless... moving on.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Roseau plays AA, not A. Warroad plays single A. Roseau is in the same conference with Bemidji, Moorhead, Brainerd, etc. 

Yup that’s a fact. To be honest I would have said the same thing with AA hockey, that was never really the point.  The other guy took it sideways.i should have said put up decent Hs number and stopped heavy numbers in juniors.