SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota 2018-19 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Sure some players lacked development, but many players also grew by the boatload. 

I'll give Bowen a pass due to injury. JJ had a better run towards the end of the year. Hoff and Peski were my two main disappointments, but they are both capable of taking steps forward. Hoff was fantastic in the third place game.

Kawaguchi, Regier and Kierstad developed really well. 

Adams is TBD for me. The talent level is clear. He just need to develop his physicality.

I checked the stats. Kawaguchi had 14 of his 19 points in the second half. I think this is just scratching the surface for him. 

• Upvote 1

Hakstol used to talk about "one year teams" and "two year teams".

Yes, "two year teams" have seniors that won't be there at the end of two, and incoming freshman coming in the middle, but it was how long he thought it would take to get the maximum out of the core group of guys. 

Quite frankly, I viewed this 2017-18 team as the front end of a a two-year team. Back in October and November 2017 I saw a lot of players that needed time to develop and figure it out, be they freshmen needing to learn the college game, or upperclassmen figuring out what it takes to lead.

Well, they've had that time after this season. 

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

UND has announced Rhett Gardner is coming back. That is huge

UND was short at center last season. Simonson has since graduated.

Losing Gardner would leave basically Nick Jones as the best (only?*) true center. 

*One could argue for Hoff. 

Huge, huge, huge.

48 minutes ago, joeyjr said:

Went back a few pages, been gone for a while . . . do we have any projected lines with incoming recruits yet?

Mismash-Jones-Kawaguchi

Adams-Gardner-Janatuinen

Hain-Hoff-Yon

Smith-Weatherby-Bowen

Tychonick-Poolman

Shaw-Bast

Kierstad-Peski

Thome

These are mine under the assumption Gersich leaves. If he stays I'd have him take Adams' spot and Adams take Yon's, making Yon a scratch. 

8 minutes ago, SiouxFan25 said:

Mismash-Jones-Kawaguchi

Adams-Gardner-Janatuinen

Hain-Hoff-Yon

Smith-Weatherby-Bowen

Tychonick-Poolman

Shaw-Bast

Kierstad-Peski

Thome

These are mine under the assumption Gersich leaves. If he stays I'd have him take Adams' spot and Adams take Yon's, making Yon a scratch. 

Or Gersich and Adams leave and then Hain is on the 2nd line

4 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I think you might be on to something here....................

If it’s an attitude thing that’s one thing, if this kid is pushed out after his frosh year that’s a whole other thing.  Kid should be a very solid player for us. He’s not going anywhere.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SiouxFan25 said:

Mismash-Jones-Kawaguchi

Adams-Gardner-Janatuinen

Hain-Hoff-Yon

Smith-Weatherby-Bowen

Tychonick-Poolman

Shaw-Bast

Kierstad-Peski

Thome

If Gersich returns the line of Gardner, JJ, and Gersich looks like a #1 line on most teams.  Line of MM, Gooch, and Jones has alot of top end ability. 

19 minutes ago, fsioux said:

If Gersich returns the line of Gardner, JJ, and Gersich looks like a #1 line on most teams.  Line of MM, Gooch, and Jones has alot of top end ability. 

I actually like MM, Jones and Gooch as the top line.

Colton- C

Rhett-A

Jones-A

I can’t see Gersich with an A